Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

House of the unholy

Creepy_Steve

I have heard about both of those places. I will check into them more, and will post anything that I happen to find or come across..... Otherwise very interesting thread!!!

On pages 27 and 29 there are some pics and links - although some of the pictures have been taken down. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

Hi again.

The foliage is looking good this time of year and I've been back around Cossart lately. By looking good I mean the trees are barren, and we haven't had much snow. All of the houses are visible from the road. About what you'd expect for mid-February and in the 60's...

The "Cult House" has had the inverted crosses removed. I don't know when; it's been awhile since I was within sight of that home and they look black now for all intents and purposes.

I'll be driving by these next few weeks and will try to post some pictures and descriptions. I'll try to cap pictures in the afternoons, as darkness pretty much ruins everything down here and the early eastern sun is just as bad. I stand by my original statements of not intruding; and by that I mean no front-door pictures, but I'll try to describe where on the road the pictures were taken from and at what time.

Bit of a side note, but the vandalism is still occurring. As I said before the Skull Tree was removed in June of 2010 but the tree 10' north of it has been spray painted with the words, "BABY TREE." Interpret that as you will. Kids.

• 4 weeks later...

So basically, this is just a creepy looking house that pothead teenagers vandalize because it looks creepy? Nice. And twenty-plus pages later people are still going on about it like there's some great conspiracy afoot.

Then I just have to ask: How is this thread still open and the "John Palifox Key/Proofs of his return" thread isn't?

I've never heard of this place before.It sounds similar to the ongoing at plum island.

The fact its linked to the DuPont's,with an army of trucks to keep people off the land,screams weird science,not haunted house.

The guys who guard the place probably purposely do nutty weird stuff weird to freak out people trying to check it out.

They probably laugh about it later too .

"did you see that kids face ?! Looks like he pooped his pants,ha ha ha ha !"

So basically, this is just a creepy looking house that pothead teenagers vandalize because it looks creepy? Nice. And twenty-plus pages later people are still going on about it like there's some great conspiracy afoot.

Then I just have to ask: How is this thread still open and the "John Palifox Key/Proofs of his return" thread isn't?

This thread is still open because there is no reason to close it. It's of interest to people and increases traffic on the site. What's not to like?

As to your assessment, it's obvious that you read a couple of random posts and drew erroneous conclusions. To sum the thread and the mystery itself up: There is a spooky old house on a spooky old road that generations of people have grown up legend-tripping to and/or just talking about. Lots of people in the country use drugs, some legal and some not. Some of them are teenagers and some, no doubt, visit the location or try to. Not all people that go there are teenagers and not all of them are on illegal drugs. There is very little vandalism and none of the house itself due to the presence of police and private security. A prominent ultra-rich family is linked to the house possibly, which increases interest. It only takes two people plotting and planning to create a conspiracy, so is there one here? I dunno. I don't even know what you're referring to. It's a creepy house and people try to visit it and the area.

Hope that helped. Oh, and it's also possibly the most interesting thread ever created on this site.

• 6 months later...

This thread is still open because there is no reason to close it. It's of interest to people and increases traffic on the site. What's not to like?

I'm not arguing it should be closed; I just find it weird that other popular threads get locked while this remains open.

As to your assessment, it's obvious that you read a couple of random posts and drew erroneous conclusions. To sum the thread and the mystery itself up: There is a spooky old house on a spooky old road that generations of people have grown up legend-tripping to and/or just talking about. Lots of people in the country use drugs, some legal and some not. Some of them are teenagers and some, no doubt, visit the location or try to. Not all people that go there are teenagers and not all of them are on illegal drugs. There is very little vandalism and none of the house itself due to the presence of police and private security. A prominent ultra-rich family is linked to the house possibly, which increases interest. It only takes two people plotting and planning to create a conspiracy, so is there one here? I dunno. I don't even know what you're referring to. It's a creepy house and people try to visit it and the area.

So, in other words...you really like drugs.

Hope that helped. Oh, and it's also possibly the most interesting thread ever created on this site.

Pretty sure that would be the Palifox thread.

Edited by OriginalGuest

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am from this area. I have traveled to this area several times. It locally known as Beaver valley. I have had weird experiences from time to time. Never been chased by anyone in pick-up trucks. I haver never even seen the Satanic Church, because if there's one thing I've noticed over the course of twenty years since finding out about this stuff is. Everyone says they have been there, But one thing is certain is nobody can tell you how to get there exactly. If you are in this area. The correct name of the road is Cossart Rd. You take baltimore pike in Media Pennsylvania and make a left onto creek rd. Once on creek you come upon Cossart. There are also different points to check out. First off is Cossart rd. Next is Montchanin rd in Delaware. There is also Bullock rd. All of these roads cross Cossart or can be easily reached from Cossart.

I am attaching a link to Chadds Ford from google. you can easily find these roads. As for the Satanic Church, I have an address from a pretty reliable source. I will not post it here for simple fact i do not want to start new rumors, or have thrill seekers trampling accross private property. So If you guys are still on here I will keep you posted. If you have any questions I can be contacted at griffj17@yahoo.com

https://local.google.com/local?q=Aston,+PA&spn=0.007398,0.020548&t=h&hl=en

• 2 months later...

My 2 cents. I have known about this road for over 25 years and of course the first place I went when I got a license was there. I can recall as a teenager taking the cossart/fairville road sign. I climbed on top of a truck and they boosted me up and I swung on it till it came off. With all that being said I have spent a fair amount of time there and as I got older I ended up working in a few houses along the road. I had heard all the stories. I believe and can not say for sure but think that the DELVAL guys may have been referring to some emails we had passed back and forth years ago.

So starting at 52 if you turn on the road and head thru Fairville road and turn left on Stockford road the little house to the left was where the guys who patrolled the road. They were private security I believe. We were told the reason for security was the stories caused a lot of unwanted traffic on the road. The other reason was that some retired political figures lived there.

We had asked if we could walk the road and they aloud us. My buddy was friends with them. Nothing creepy ever happened during the 2 times we walked.

As you continue along the road to your left you would see the skull tree. But if you look to the right out in the field there was a tree and the story was that when then one of the Johnston gang shot his son it was at that tree. If you watch the movie "At Close Range" I am sure they show that scene.

Farther down on the left up the hill you see the " satanic church." In kiana1961's picture you can see it. I have been in the house before. They have a huge indoor pool. I fair amount of the house is underground. Although some of the decor is creepy inside as if they embrace the story I found the people to seem to be incredibly wealthy and old. I have no idea as to where their money came from. In talking to some of the "help" they said the house was very old. And was built as a hunting lodge. Some elite people from Wilmington would head out in there and stay there while they hunted. I remember the house to have tons of rooms and could facilitate such an excursion, with many small rooms for sleeping quarters(just an opinion). I think this was pre car era, so they arrived in carriages.

The only other thing I believe is the house at the end on the left is where they filmed the village. Supposedly M. Night Shamalan(who is from West Chester) dated or was good friends with the daughter. I believe it to be a horse farm. That house was very old as well. With the creepy decor theme again. I don't remember whole lot about that place other then they had a toilet seat that was clear with barbed wire inside it.

Barbed+Wire+Toilet+Seat.JPG

But as has been previously stated the people who live there simply wanna be left alone.

Good tale but I prefer houses of the holy better. :tu:

I wish a member of the DuPont famliy would join here to set the story straight and end it! I know someone has posted that saying there was an old woman and it was all false and a bunch of other stuff.

This is a strange story, I for one have never heard of the house. When I first heard the description I thought it was something about the Barton Mansion. Cops would not be able to just come and investigate the home, it's still private property, and unless their are any missing persons, no one can really go up to the house and break in.

If you believe it's an FBI site, I highly doubt that. They would generally have signs up saying Private Property as well as security signs. As a federal law, they have to give warnings of any government activity, same sense as they have signs all over Area 51.

Seems like something that would be decent to investigate, but it's hard to investigate when people are living there, and they won't grant you entry. I would personally set up a video camera and hide it in the bushes, and aim it towards the house. Put enough tape in there as I could, maybe only 2 -3 hours, but oh well. Also leave some EVP microphone equipment, camoflauge it all as best as I could and grab it the next night. I highly doubt it would come up with anything, but thats about the best you can do.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone! I read through this entire thread last night and signed up, so this is my first post.

I live about 15 minutes away and never heard about this place. What makes me believe this might be true is that I just heard about another place that is fairly close, Arden, DE, that is supposedly an "Illuminati" or Satanic enclave per Jay Parker who grew up in the "utopian" village and has ties to the Duponts. Arden is supposedly a protected area, meaning that law enforcement is "hands off". They know not to interfere .It sounds as if this might be true of this place as well if the stories posted are true. I mean, why would law enforcement not only allow this type of activity but even, on some occasions, enable it as well?

I guess it's possible that ALL of these stories are made up, but so many stories over so many years which all seem to share some of the same characteristics? There is no doubt that this house/church was owned by the Duponts at one time. That is not in question. Whether or not there is still a connection isn't clear. But, either way, it appears something is going on.

• 2 weeks later...

I've read about 5 pages in so far on this site but I was curious to see if I could find property info on the place, even though I know others have tried. Well, just my luck... the place is for sale!! There's like 25 pictures of the inside and outside, completely kills the creepy factor. I'm positive this is the house, or at least it is the house that most people refer to. I've been there before and will try to write about it later but I remember emerging from the woods, looking left and being so confused because all I saw was a big house. No church at all. Now there is a house/church before you get there that has tons of metal type crows lining the roof and a bunch with something 'evil' like professionally carved into it, but I don't know.

I'm soooo hoping there is someone out there that will ask for a tour of the place, acting like a potential buyer and go check things out and maybe try and get more info on the history. Oh and there is one weird area on the property, one of the pics show an area that has rock type walls making a square but they look like they've been broken down. Reminds me of a tiny cemetery... Check out Bing's maps and you'll see another view of that area. Oh and the ad mentions you also get the property at the entrance of the 'driveway', it's right when you turn off of stockford and they call it the gatehouse. Well in one of the views on Bing's map, tell me, does it or doesn't it look like a black hearse with a white top parked in the back?!

http://www.estately.com/listings/info/1150-stockford-rd

Ok, now I'm confused. I just found this listing that is across the street from the house most people say is the cult house but that gives this other house absolutely no relation to Cossart Rd. The reason I'm wondering if this is the place or if this is just a place others have thought the house was is because numerous people say it's a stone church, and in the pics of this other house, everything is stone. It also looks like the building to the left of the house could possibly be a church and on the roof is an antennae or something that looks like an inverted cross. If you read the details in the listing, this building on the left most likely seems to be the 4 car garage though... I think no one has their stories straight.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1151-Stockford-Rd_Chadds-Ford_PA_19317_M30072-73497#

Sorry for the multiple posts, I get all psyched when I think I've figured something out. Turns out it is the first house I posted, 1150 Stockford Rd. On the for sale pages, it says it was built for Alfred Bissell and it turns out his wife was actually a Du Pont, Julia Andrews Bissell. Her mother was Julia Sophia Du Pont Andrews, her maiden name was Du Pont, so at least there is a tiny bit of truth there. As for anything else, I can't even begin to imagine where stories came from that it's that house that is the cult house. It looks like a regular house, it was built in 1963 so it's not like this was a house/church that's been in the family for years for all this crazy stuff to have gone on. The couple was just one of those ritzy families that was involved with art, and horticulture and the like, I forget exactly and don't feel like rereading the online articles. Ya, they must of been some sick folk up in that house.... (sarcastic in case it's not obvious). There doesn't appear to be one strange thing that happened to them or that they were involved in, except being of the Du Pont bloodline.

If anyone needs more info or where to find it, just reply.

ccamel84, if that house was built in 1963, I doubt that's the "cult house". From my understanding, this house or church was built in the 18th or 19th century and the Duponts purchased it at that time.. I think someone even had evidence that they owned the property dating way back in time.

Thanks for taking the time and writing all this.the house sounds interesting and the trucks that follow is creepy.

Keep us updated.

• 2 months later...

the stockford rd house is not the house they are referring to.the house is on cossart rd.its hard to find because it is hidden from the road.you may find it on google maps but last I checked and posted here it is blocked out on the sat photo.

Another House of the unholy story.

Even creepier then the last ones.

In this reader submission, a Delaware man offers his own spine-tingling sequel to House of the Unholy, about a peculiar, well-guarded mansion in the rural part of his home state. Submitted July 2001.

By Al Conner

OK, here it goes. First of all, I am very familiar with the road and the house talked about in the story "House of the Unholy." I have lived in Delaware my entire life, and the house has become something of a Delaware Valley local supernatural treasure: a weird house on the top of a hill out in the middle of nowhere.

Everything that the writer of that story said was true. The house had an inverted cross design in the windows; the trees grew away from the road that wound around the base of the house. The skull tree resided on an outcroppng of rock that juts out that causes the road to make a sharp left, and at the base of the road that leads up to the house resided a "guardhouse" that had a fleet of trucks that would respond to any car that lingered around the area a little too long.

In my sophomore and junior years of high school (I am 27 now) my friends and I used to go up there and drive around, and in the rare instance drop off a few passengers to walk down the road and wait for the driver to pick them up. I was dropped off on this road more than once, and let me tell you, it is a freaky thing. It would be you and a another person all alone on this road barely big enough for two cars to pass, in the pitch black with this giant, menacing house looming in the distance.

(To anyone who has ever read " Salem's Lot" by Stephen King this house's presence loomed over this road much like the Marsten House did over the town of in that book.) The scariest part of that walk was you had to pass by this large drainpipe that looked like it led up to the house. Every time you passed by it you swore you could hear noises emanating from it.

Another thing was that if you saw headlights coming up the road you had to jump in the underbrush because you didn't want those trucks to see you. I remember one time a friend and I were hiding in the bushes when a red truck came by driving very slowly with a mounted spotlight on the side of the truck. We were lucky it was shining on the opposite side of the road.

Anyway, it was the summer of my junior year of high school, and several of my friends had taken to hanging out with a few girls from my neighborhood. We told them about the house, and naturally they thought we were full of it. So one night we decided to take them up there, but we were planning to stage a little theatrical show. One carload of us was to go up to the road early, find a parking place and wait in hiding for the other car with the girls to show up. When they drove by, one of us, clad in a Jason-like hockey mask and black trench coat, was to run out and jump on the hood of the car.

At the end of the road was a little turnoff where you could turn back around and head out to the main road. It was one of those things a teenage guy did to try and impress a girl while trying to scare the s--- out of her.

Anyway, the guy who agreed to wear the mask didn't want to jump on any car, so he told two of us to go about 100 feet up the road, wait in the bushes, and when we saw the car pass, flash a high powered flashlight on the trees above. This was the signal to know it was the right car. My friend Joe and I were chosen to be the lookouts.

We took a flashlight and left the safety-in-numbers group at the end of the road. When we walked about 100 feet or so, we climbed up a small embankment on the house side of the road not far from that skull tree, and there we sat and waited. Now if you have never been out in the woods in complete darkness you can't even begin to appreciate how acute your senses become in such a short amount of time.

After about 2 minutes you can see quite well, after about 5 you start to hear everything, every tree swaying, every wind gust, every branch or underbrush moving as a result of a small animal. Joe and I were sitting there 2 feet above the road, 100 feet from our friends, when we began to hear steady movement behind us, coming from the general direction of the house. We dismissed it as a deer or some other animal moving through the woods.

We began to talk about the upcoming hockey season when we heard a series of loud cracks coming from branches being stepped on. At first we thought it was our mind playing tricks on us but after about 5 minutes of me saying, "Did you hear that?" or him saying, "Shut up and listen!" we began to notice it as being more heavy footed, more deliberate. And it was getting closer. All conversation between us ceased as we strained to listen to this "thing" coming to us. We were scared.

Three more minutes passed, and it was even closer. It was at this point that we began to realize we could be in a lot of trouble. We started to whisper to each other, "Let's get the f--- out of here," when I noticed something that will be imprinted on my mind until the day I die. About 10 feet behind us was a large tree.

We could just make out the difference in lighting textures between it and the background. Suddenly, as I was looking at it, I noticed a good deal of movement from behind it. Then we saw the silhouette of what appeared to be a person's head peeking out from behind the tree. It then moved to the other side of the tree to get a better look at us. I whispered to Joe we were running on the count of three. He agreed.

I said the words "One ... two ..." and then the figure behind us in a singsong, droning, deep voice said, " Three!"

At that moment the figure made a frenzied move towards us, moving what seemed to be 5 feet in one leap. Joe and I screamed and headed for the road. What we forgot was the fact that we were actually two feet above the road. We both came out of the wooded area full tilt, hovered in mid-air for a second, and fell to the ground, him landing on top of my head. My head hit the blacktop, and I nearly blacked out. Joe was screaming in my ear to get up. He helped me up and we ran as fast as we could back to the car and our friends.

We got back to the car, told our two friends that someone was out there. The driver dismissed it as bulls--- and started to drive back to where we were. He came back to the area we were at, (this was evident by the large, gaping hole we left in the foliage as we ran out) rolled down his window, and yelled at the top of his lungs, "C'mon, you motherf-----, there are four of us here!!"

At this point the figure came to the edge of the embankment and looked down. This was enough for my friend as he squealed off quickly. As he drove off, the person jumped down the embankment and started to run after the car. We left him in the dust and proceeded out to the main road. We drove on the main road for about 5 minutes, when we saw the other car with our other friends and the girls in it. We flagged them down and told them to turn around and not go up there.

Like the writer of "House of the Unholy" said, this house in unlike any other around. Since that time I've heard a number of rumors about the house, ranging from it being a satanic cult house, to it being a mental hospital for various genetically deformed members of the DuPont family.

I don't know what exactly it is, but I do know every word of what I wrote was true, and if any readers are ever in the northern Delaware area, I'll be happy to meet with them over a pint of Sam Adams, go into more detail on my exploits in regards to this house, and maybe take you up to see the damned thing. I'll also show you the scar I still have on my head from when I landed head first on the most terrifying road in the Delaware Valley

Something weird is going on there.

I'm going to America soon....I'm so going there! :gun:

• Like 1

Ok folks. I have all of your answers. I live in delaware county, PA. merely miles from the brandywine valley. I have been to cult house road on many occasions, morning and night. Yes the place will scare the sh** out of ya at night. No, most of the tales are not true. Forget all the satanic and Neo-Nazi bull****. The house which settles just off of Cossart Road in Chadds Ford. The House was indeed a DuPont house. In fact it was the first where the mand who started the company lived when he came to america and showed us how you realy make black powder. The DuPonts were indeed quite the screwed up family where inbreeding was practiced. In fact one point not mentioned here was that of the old "satanic" church on the grounds which is in fact the family's own chapel where family member were married amongst each other. The trees alnog the road and around the house did grow in a creepy, wiltering manner. However the groundskeepers have been cutting these trees down. however the skull tree remains. As for who lives in the house, it is mearly and old man who keeps to himself due to all of the unwanted publicity. And yes, there are gaurds. Hired by local residence to control the defileing of the area due to the teens who do visit the place with not so good intensions. How do I know all of this. Me and my friends had a little run in with the grounds crew themselves. On an ealry morning trip down the road one sunday we decided to take a tour of the place on foot thinking we wouldn't run into any trouble that early. We were wrong. As we made our way up a nice sized hill, past a what appeared to be a privately owned lake, we were greeted by a group of 4 men on 4 wheelers and a rather large man on foot. That's when the sh** ran down my leg. All were sporting some heavily equipted tool belts and the man on foot walking towards us with a nicely sized lead pipe. After talking our way out of a tresspassing charge we found ourselves indulged in quite the odd conversation with the man. After he relized we weren't the type who were there to vandalize the place he became rather friendly and answered a many questions we had. I don't wont to ruin any ones hopes in case they plan to visit. Trust me, the place is plain creepy enough on it's own. And though it just might be an old country side mansion now, some crazy, ****ed up sh** did go on back in the day. And when you drive down that road at night, you can tell the land around you just can't wash those memories away.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.844650,-...06870&t=h&hl=en

So, nothing creepy or paranormal goes on there anymore? Aww, I wanted an adeventure :(

• Like 1

Sure, thats all well and good, but until someone goes in teh mansion and doesnt see mutated freaks, I'm gonna beleive they are there

• 3 weeks later...

Sure, thats all well and good, but until someone goes in teh mansion and doesnt see mutated freaks, I'm gonna beleive they are there

But you won't believe in a demon or such entity?

Nevermind

• 2 years later...

I stumbled upon this road when I was younger and had an experience before hearing the legend. I grew up about 20 miles north of the area but had never heard of it. When I was 19 or 20 I was riding around on backroads during my lunch break and came across this cool hidden old road (which may or may not have a street sign up but it does seem to get taken down and replaced every now and again.) I went down it during the day and just thought it was cool so I told my best friend Jamey about it, we went and bought a cigar that night and headed for Chadd's Ford. Driving down the road blasting heavy metal, we weren't necessarily paying attention to our surroundings but I do remember noticing the skull tree earlier in the day due to all the spraypaint on it. At some point before getting halfway down the road, all of a sudden a truck's headlights flicked on behind me as if the driver were following me with them off for a while. He was riding me close and swerving erratically like he was going to ram me or pull around me, so I sped up as Jamey hung out the window cursing at him and flipping him off. I managed to make it to the end of the road and narrowly avoid spinning out of control as I took the hard right onto Stockford Rd. Once stabilized, Jamey and I both realized that the truck had either stopped and turned around or kept going straight but it was nowhere in sight. Both of us were all p***ed off about it and wanted to turn around and try to find the driver but either we wised up or I missed the turn because we didn't find him and the experiance kind of faded out of memory until I heard the legend of the devil house. Once I did hear the story, Jamey and a few other friends went back to the skull tree together during the day but nothing happened.

The road is called Cossart Rd. and runs in between Old Route 100 (Creek Rd.) and Rte. 52 in Chadd's Ford. I've only been down the road a handful of times since and I don't believe I've been down it at night since the one time (I'm pretty sure I would remember even without any incident.) Apparently the tree has since been removed and there's an increased police presence in the area since kids used to show up and spray paint everything. I'm going to check it out tonight after work just out of curiosity so if I notice anything I'll post back.