Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bush claims his actions were demanded by God

Mr Slayer

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bathory

• Yelekiah

• Mr Slayer

• twpdyp

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what other actions he thinks were demanded by God...If that were so, someone needs to have a serious talk with God.

well the whitehouse has denied it, so who knows what he may have said, personally i don't think Bush would be dumb enough to say something like that to a bunch of Palestinian officials.

of course, don't worry guys, its anti-bush and its in a newspaper, IT MUST BE TRUE

we should only reserve critical thought for things that don't reinforce our worldview...

I don't think you could say it's not credible yet, BBC reported it, and we all know that Bush isn't the brightest blob in the lava lamp. It wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

I don't think you could say it's not credible yet, BBC reported it, and we all know that Bush isn't the brightest blob in the lava lamp. It wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

so what if the BBC reported it?

the BBC reported the fake British prisoner abuse scandal, i guess that means it wasn't really fake?

so what if the BBC reported it?

the BBC reported the fake British prisoner abuse scandal, i guess that means it wasn't really fake?

That's not my point. I'm saying Bush is dim, and it wouldn't surprise me if it were true. It's not like BBC is the Fortean Times. Loosen up.

Yelekiah Posted Today, 12:23 PM

Yep, that is all it takes, if the BBC says it is so then it must be so. I am now convinced why did I not listen to the BBC earlier I could have made my vote differently. The BBC the last bastion of credibility and neutral observations.

don't worry twp, i'm sure if the BBC were ever to run a pro-Bush or pro-Iraq article, they'd jump on it claiming it was government propoganda or something:)

Yep, that is all it takes, if the BBC says it is so then it must be so. I am now convinced why did I not listen to the BBC earlier I could have made my vote differently. The BBC the last bastion of credibility and neutral observations.

All right...You just missed my point as well. I'm not saying they are 100% credible. In fact, I find this story amusing. Read my above post.

That's not my point. I'm saying Bush is dim, and it wouldn't surprise me if it were true. It's not like BBC is the Fortean Times. Loosen up.

How dim can he be, he managed to get elected to perhaps the most powerful position on this planet?

he managed to get elected to perhaps the most powerful position on this planet?

Which is quite tragic...

edit:I'd also like to add that the first time he was not elected. I wonder if people felt obligated to elect him what with the war.

Edited by Yelekiah

don't think you could say it's not credible yet, BBC reported it

hmmm

got newb?

Palestinian: Bush spoke of Iraq as divine mission

07 Oct 2005 09:38:35 GMT

Source: Reuters

JERUSALEM, Oct 7 (Reuters) - A Palestinian leader quoted George W. Bush as saying God told him to invade Iraq, but said he did not take the U.S. president's comment literally and saw it only as a reflection of his faith and commitment.

The White House dismissed as "absurd" the remarks attributed to Bush by Deputy Prime Minister Nabil Shaath in a BBC documentary series recounting a June 2003 meeting he attended along with Mahmoud Abbas, now Palestinian president.

Shaath said he stood by his recollection of Bush saying he had been "driven with a mission from God" when he sent U.S. troops into Iraq and Afghanistan and also lent his support to the eventual creation of a Palestinian state.

But Shaath told Reuters on Friday: "We never thought that he literally had God speaking to him".

In advance excerpts from the television series "Elusive Peace: Israel and the Arabs" to be broadcast this month, Shaath says: "President Bush said to all of us: 'I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, 'George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan'.

"And I did, and then God would tell me, 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did.

"And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East'. And by God I'm gonna do it'," Shaath quotes him as saying.

In response, White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters in Washington: "He's never made such comments."

Shaath, who at the time was foreign minister under then- prime minister Abbas, confirmed what he had told the BBC.

But he added: "It was really a figure of speech (by Bush). We felt he was saying that he had a mission, a commitment, his faith in God would inspire him ... rather than a metaphysical whisper in his ear."

In journalist Bob Woodward's book, "Plan of Attack," which describes the run-up to the Iraq war and is based on interviews with senior U.S. officials including Bush, the president says he appeals to God for strength when facing tough decisions but does not use God to justify decisions he makes.

The book says Bush, a devout Christian, said he tries to be a messenger of God's will but does not seek to justify the war based on God. (Reporting by Matt Spetalnick in Jerusalem and Wafa Amr in Ramallah)

Source: Reuters

interesting, so he may have said something along these lines, but never intended for it to be taken literally? nice of the BBC to mention that part...

edit:I'd also like to add that the first time he was not elected. I wonder if people felt obligated to elect him what with the war.

I'd like to add that this has been debunked a million or so times, go research what actually happened instead of reading from the world according to moore.

Edited by bathory

Right, I still think he's dumb as rocks whether or not he wanted it to be taken literally.

don't worry, i think the same of you:)

go research what actually happened instead of reading from the world according to moore.

Funny you should say that because I haven't seen that Moore film. The first time he was NOT elected (by popular vote). That's fact.

Edited by Yelekiah

don't worry, i think the same of you:)

The feelings mutual. ;)

The original post had a light-hearted comment. Not sure why you take things so seriously. My comments reflected the light-hearted post on this thread.

Which is quite tragic...

Not elected? Wow do educate me then as to how he got possesion of the keys to the White House. I remember both elections and I remember voting in both elections. I even remember watching all of the news channels including CNN as they reported his victory in both elections. As far as a feeling of obligation to cast my vote for him because of the war I cast my vote for President Bush because I felt then the same as I do now he is the right man for the job, period. Nothing has changed that.

Funny you should say that because I haven't seen that Moore film. The first time he was NOT elected. That's fact.

well yeah he was, he won based on the supreme court decision to end recounts (after like the third recount or something, each time Gore losing), thus he indeed was elected.

Basically, Bush won the electoral college but didn't win the popular vote, he did both the 2nd time.

Edited by bathory

he is the right man for the job, period. Nothing has changed that.

I'm not saying he isn't the right man. He wanted a war, and I wondered if anyone, not necessarily you, felt obligated for him to continue the war.

Basically, Bush won the electoral college but didn't win the popular vote, he did both the 2nd time.

Correct. Election was a bad choice of words since people confuse electoral and popular vote. And him not winning the popular vote to me seems more like he was "selected"

He was not elected by popular vote, it didn't seem like people wanted him to originally be in office.

Edited by Yelekiah

i personally would have preferred someone from the republicans with a similar ideology like Ahnold, what is he? a libertarian conservative? something like that, I'm not too fond of the religious right, too many looneys out on the fringes.

Correct. Election was a bad choice of words. And him not winning the popular vote to me seems more like he was "selected"

thanks for playing

you obviously don't even understand the reasoning behind the electoral college

Edited by bathory

you obviously don't even understand the reasoning behind the electoral college

I understand it. I just think it would have been more appropriate if he won the popular vote. Get my drift?

edit: In other words, it wouldn't seem fair if he wasn't wanted by the people originally. In that sense, he was "selected"

Edited by Yelekiah