Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Liebau Mystery Creature

Saru

Here's a photograph that was E-Mailed to me yesterday, showing someone who shot an unidentified creature with a pellet gun a week ago. Here's what he had to say about the photograph:

"The photo I have sent you is of a large creature, almost 3 feet long, that resembles an opossum or large rat with canine teeth.  The critter was shot by me, in the photo, with a pelat gun.  I showed the photo to some of my friends from Mexico,  who claim it's a chupacabras because of the mouth.  It was taken only about a week ago.  I have no explanation for what I shot."

user posted image

All comments and poll votes welcome.

and thanks to Liebau for sending this picture in to us.

smile.gif

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Homer

• Test_Bear

• GIZZIE

• Magikman

Now do we really care what the shooter looks like? Why couldn't he send a close up of the animal? Of course, if he did that than there would be no debate as to what is is. I vote for rat/opossum.

Homer

"Now do we really care what the shooter looks like?"

It seems the hunters of the world can't win.  On one hand, we want a person in the shot in order to compare relative size with, and on the other hand, we don't want to see what they look like.  :-/

I agree however that another photo close up would be more useful.

Comparing relative size with a close up is rather easy. By putting something in the picture like a shoe, can, bottle, or the shooters hands as he holds the critter would be helpful. But then...where would the mystery be in that... :o

[blue]What I think is a truly unexplained phenomenon is why some people seem unable to restrain themselves when they have a gun in their hands.

'What's that?'

....ummm... dunno.....

BLAM!!

>:(

[/blue]

I know what you mean Loonboy. I would rather try to befriend God's cute little furry animals. Then, when I have the little guys complete trust...BLAM!...that's when I blow it's head off

Now that's restraint... tongue.gif

"I have no explanation for what I shot."  WHAT??!!!

What does this kid do, blast away all day at anything that moves?

Whilst looking through the posts, I came across this one.  What can I say?!!

What a little redneck.  Is he going to be the next classroom/serial killer?

He obviously didn't care what it was because he shot it.  Why do we have to kill first and ask questions later?  Whatever it is/was it's now dead

Sorry about the aggression, but this kind of thing really makes my blood boil.

:si

How can we ask about magic in one forum and then condone this kid's actions in another?  I'm with Gizzie on this one.  Definately entente cordiale (or not so cordiale!)

Sad and sickened by what happened to the obvious opossum!  :s5

By the way, where is this kid from?

NessyK

Seems to me that Liebau is well on his way to becoming an international 'big game' hunter, specializing in hunting down the most elusive cryptological creatures known to man. I fear for the safety of Bigfoot, India's 'monkey man', and yes, even dear old 'Nessie'. However, it would seem to me we are dealing with someone with an overactive imagination, yet has little or no understanding of 'reality'. Here are just a few problems I have with his claim;

Just about all eye witness accounts of the mythical 'chupacabra' describe the creature as something similar to a dog in appearance, and those are from milder accounts. Other, more elaborate descriptions, claim the creature to be a cross between a gray 'alien' and a two legged lizard, which stands anywhere between 4 to 5 feet tall!  If you are interested, this is a link that gives quite a bit more information HERE. Mexico favors the wild dog version, so I don't know why Liebau's friends think his animal looks anything like a 'chupacabra'. Perhaps the picture he showed them is even more innocuous than the one we are seeing.

The other point I wanted to make was that I don't believe Liebau could have killed an opossum with his pellet gun, unless it was already near death (although the picture isn't very clear, the animal looks as if it had been savaged by something, possibly a dog?). Normally pellet guns aren't very powerful, delivering a force of 2-300 fps, which is sufficient enough to harm small birds and/or gophers, but not an adult opossum.  There are high end and extremely expensive air guns available that can deliver a pellet at roughly the same force as a 22 cal bullet, but I doubt (or hope, anyway) that is a weapon Liebau has access to.

Magikman  :sg

Agreed, a typical pellet gun simply does not have the capacity to emit force necessary to kill a possum that is not near death. As you mentioned, the person in question most likely did not have access to high powered pellet weapons. Therefore... if he couldn't have killed it... how is it there? Also, one big question I have... given the hunter's background, isn't it likely that he would recognize a possum when he sees one, and thus forth not be claiming it to be an unknown? Maybe it is a very large rat... we all heard the story about my brother's friend who got a sewer rat in Mexico city...  :s4

-Test Bear

Bear,

What part of this explanation are you having difficulty with? "(although the picture isn't very clear, the animal looks as if it had been savaged by something, possibly a dog?)."

Its very possible he just happened upon the animal's carcass, or if it was still alive and badly hurt, shot the opossum dead to put it out of its misery. Any number of things could have caused the animals death. The point I was making was that it is very unlikely that Liebau had killed a healthy, adult opossum. The poor picture quality makes it difficult to determine how the animal died, but again, the animal does appear to have been roughed up considerably. Opossum's, although quite skittish, are a relatively slow moving animal and are almost defenseless against predators.

"Also, one big question I have... given the hunter's background, isn't it likely that he would recognize a possum when he sees one, and thus forth not be claiming it to be an unknown?'  The 'boy' in the picture looks to be all of 14 years old, exactly what kind of 'background' is this supposed 'hunter' going to have? Still, of course he knows its an opossum, and the 'story' he has concocted is a result of his overactive imagination and his childish desire for attention. Is that so hard to believe? Mature adults are guilty of the same deception, only much more pathetic and unforgiving because they should know better, don't you think? Speaking of which, I'm rather curious as to who took the proud 'hunters' picture, aren't you?

Magikman  :sg

Why, his "proud" dad of course!  It's probably entitled "That's ma boy"!

Ma probably baked her "boys" their favourite cookies and said something like " I'm proud of you son.  If you don't grow more and more like your Pa everyday"and Sis probably said something like "Aw, Chuck for a kid brother, you ain't bad.  You done good Chuckie" and Sis's boyfriend, Taylor, probably ruffled lil ol' Chuckie's hair and said "Neat, kid". And Chuckie said "Aw shucks, it weren't nothing, just some lil ol critter that I done shot with mah heah gun"

And then they all went to Church, it being Sunday.

The only 2 things missing in the photo are the American flag and the "Dawg" that goes everywhere with Chuckie - even sits outside school waiting for him.

At the end of a perfect day, after having sung God Bless America and read a chapter from the Bible over supper, Pa cleaned his guns, Ma picked up her sewing, Sis was out with Taylor, Chuckie climbed the stairs with "Dawg", got into bed and though about the next critter he was gonna blast the very next day. He prayed that God would send him a big one. And the light went out in Redneck country.

Haven't we all read the book, seen the film?  etc - I can even remember the words!!

I suppose that my only question boils down to this; are they really completely ignorant as to the fact that kiddie is holding an opposum, or are they just attemptig to pull one over on everyone else (Hey Bobby, wouldn't it be funny if we said this here opposum weren't this here opposum) ? I find it difficult to think that, seeing from the photgraph it can be inferred that they live and are settled in that area, that they woul not recognize even a wounded opposum.... hey, who DID take the photograh... my vote is on alien HQ, the kid looks innocent but he was actually a bounty hunter  :s8

Such a vivid description! It seems at though the poor bloke speaks of personal truth... is there something he must confess... how may poor opposums met their fate in the less mature years....

:'(

Tommy

You are right to worry about me -I am so glad someone has finally got the hidden message in the Day in the Life of A Redneck I posted the other day.

Test Bear - How dare you call me a man - even worse, a "bloke"   I'm a girl, 100% and the thought that you could think me masculine has just put me back into enforced self hugging for 40 days - managed to get a fag break of 15 mins so I'm typing this to say Save me from the Medical experiments, pendulum and some revolting snake who keeps trying to get me to eat an apple!!

Ps I've met lots of you where I am, but don't save the others;  They really do  need help

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Uh... anyone notice that those are kiwi's growing in the background? They don't grow kiwi in Mexico... not to mention that the kid isn't Mexican. Opossom obviously... sheesh.

1) It had crossed my mind that they were growing giant sticks, but I figured that, seeing as the picture quality is horrid and you can't discern details, I'd leave it alone. I am amazed that you can find the kiwi.

2) Not all people in Mexicos are Mexicans.

3) Gizzie, I apologize for calling you a man. I know that this is much later, but I just got back and haven't really seen this thread since I left. Somehow I missed the gender picture.

Guest me someone

So what does that tell you? the picture is to blurry to show anything, for all i know it could be a rat or mabey even road kill ph34r.gif