Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chavez moves against US preachers

__Kratos__

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has said he is about to expel a US missionary group, New Tribes Mission.

The leftist leader said the missionaries were "imperialists" and he felt "ashamed" at their presence in indigenous areas of Venezuela.

He accused the Florida-based group of making unauthorised flights and setting up luxurious camps amid poverty.

New Tribes, which preaches to non-Christian indigenous peoples, said it had no immediate comment.

It is one of Latin America's biggest missionary organisations and has 3,200 workers and operates in 17 countries, with operations in West Africa and South-East Asia too.

Caracas has suggested that American evangelicals are part of a broader conspiracy in Washington to topple a president whose regional influence is growing thanks to massive oil revenues, the BBC's Simon Watts writes.

US officials clearly do not like Mr Chavez much but they strongly deny any plot and it is also hard to tell how genuinely the Venezuelan president believes what he says.

Like his friend Fidel Castro, our analyst adds, Mr Chavez thrives on conflict and finds it politically useful to portray himself as a victim of US aggression.

'Irreversible'

"The New Tribes are leaving Venezuela," Mr Chavez said at a ceremony to present land titles and farming equipment to members of Venezuela's indigenous population.

Let them gather their stuff... because the so-called New Tribes are going from here, from every last corner

Hugo Chavez

"This is an irreversible decision that I have made. We don't want the New Tribes here. Enough colonialism!"

He added that he had yet to sign the expulsion order and was giving New Tribes time to "gather their stuff".

New Tribes, he said, flew in and out of the country without proper permission from the authorities.

"These violations of our national sovereignty have to stop," Mr Chavez said.

The president, long at loggerheads with the US over his leftist views, accused the group of building expensive luxury camps for themselves alongside poverty-stricken villages.

Mr Chavez said Venezuela was finally "doing justice" by its indigenous peoples by granting them land.

One indigenous deputy, Noheli Pocaterra, said Mr Chavez's government had made progress on indigenous issues but more needed to be done.

Source

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow... does he sound paranoid. :lol:

I always suspect those evil missionaries were up to something! :rolleyes::rofl:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mekorig

• bathory

• Celumnaz

• __Kratos__

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would actually say he's right being paranoid regarding the oil. Why else is the US so eager to remove him from the throne? Because he is a Communist? No, wait, that's an watered-out excuse, he is surely protecting terrorists! Get him!

Just draw a parallel to Iraq. There, we had the WOMD. Here we have Communism. In each case don't worry, they'll always find a reason.

And regarding the missionaries, being an non-believer, I only applaud the expelling.

No one should try to allure one's people into something as brainwashing as religion. And when they do, clever people like Chavez know how to deal with them.

I'm neither a communist nor "leftist", but this oil charade is getting tiring, especially 'cause it's so obvious.

Edited by AshKatNah

He is paranoid.

He scared his people might see a brief small example of what their lives Could be like?

Afraid of an open exchange of ideas and/or beliefs?

Just because he got "elected" in a democratic type country doesn't mean *He* can't be communistic leaning.

But I guess he deserves a golf clap at least for not killing the Christians outright that I know of.

Good for him, throw those b******* out of your country. Personaly, i dont blam him for being a little paranoid, if you were sitting on top of the second largest oil reserve in the World, would you not be a little paraoind?

The United States is currently looking for more oil, alot of oil, the Middle east is running out, and Canada has to many friends to invade, so whos it going to be?

~Thanato

The president, long at loggerheads with the US over his leftist views, accused the group of building expensive luxury camps for themselves alongside poverty-stricken villages.

bahaaha

missionary groups often provide aid/food/medical assistance whatever

nice to see he's got their welfare considered

now how's he going to give our people free gas when he's got his own people living in conditions where they think clean water is an expensive luxury?

Lets put the things clear.

Chavez has a big mouth, all we agreed, but that doesnt make him an "evil comunist dictator oposed to the free world" has someones in this forum belive.

Second: Chavez has reasons to be "paranoid". The USA has medlee again and again in the internal affairs of almost all the SA countries, and Venezuela wanst the exception. Its funny how the USa was the first country to recognize the junta how tried to ovetrhow Chavez, isnt?

Third: The groups in question were indigenous tribes. Under the past goverments ( a lot of them US-friendly) these tribes endure poverty and discrimination by the goverment. In this moment the Venezuelan goverment has begun "no poverty" programs to reduce the poverty levels. Another important thing is to preserve the cultural legacy of this ancient people. This "missionary organisations" destroy this legacy in pro the evangelization of this groups. I have seen the action of this groups among tribal groups in Argentina, and how they try to erase the history of the tribes, like the spaniards did years ago. no thanks.

Soo, in the cold war yes? Its was justified? The USA, has any of the super-powers, will do anything to benefit it interests, and that inclued overthrowing and manipulating countries. Take an example in most of the "coallition of the willing". "Join our coalition or we will cut the financial help yuo recived by the World Bank."

Yes, maybe a little more than the medium general level in internatuional politics.....and Pat Robertson is a senile moron, but he have lot of political influence in the USA, and there is a general "super cristian" influence in the current goverment of the USA that made almost the entire world uncomfortable.

Soo, in the cold war yes? Its was justified?

sure, lessons from cuba made it a neccesity

his "missionary organisations" destroy this legacy in pro the evangelization of this groups. I have seen the action of this groups among tribal groups in Argentina, and how they try to erase the history of the tribes, like the spaniards did years ago. no thanks.

i do agree with that though

Edited by bathory

*marks in the calendary* Second time i agree in something whit Bathory....whaoo....