Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iceman Died In Pain, But Not Alone

UM-Bot

news iconIt was a bleak few days for Otzi the iceman. During a routine hunting trip, he and his companion were caught in a territorial skirmish on a high alpine pass.

Both were injured and Otzi was soon to die a painful death, lying knife in hand in the shelter of a rock face.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: The Mercury

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Starlyte

• UM-Bot

• snuffypuffer

Top Posters In This Topic

Previously, scientists knew that Otzi had been shot by an arrow, but they knew nothing of his companion or the circumstances.

I didn't even know he had a companion. It must have been horrible to be stuck high up on a mountain waiting to die. So was the companion able to make it off the mountain?

After Otzi had died, his companian would have probably attempted to return home, although his injuries may have prevented this. If he had also perished at Otzi's side, his body would have been preserved aswell, or least some trace of it.

It's very possible that his companian died somewhere else on the mountain, where his body was not preserved, leaving no trace.

sad.gif

It's very possible that his companian died somewhere else on the mountain, where his body was not preserved, leaving no trace.

Is it possible that the companions body is preserved somewhere else on the mountain and they just haven't found it yet? I think it would be interesting if they could figure out where the walking trails on the mountain are or were and see if they can't come up with something.

You're right Starlyte, the companion doesn't sound to me like he was in very good shape either. I'm guessing he's gonna be found somewhere nearby.

Is it possible that the companions body is preserved somewhere else on the mountain and they just haven't found it yet?

Yes I'd agree that it is very possible that they may yet find traces of his companian somewhere nearby. But then, how good are the chances of a body being preserved in this way ? It could be that Otzi's preservation was a very rare occurance, and the chances of his companian being preserved, even he had died on the mountain, may be very slim indeed.