Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wow! Paper thin TV!

scoobysnack

If this technology is taken advantage of, the world will suddenly be a very cool place

Paper view technology

Katy Duke

Thursday October 13, 2005

Cheap, paper-thin TV screens that can be used in newspapers and magazines have been unveiled by German electronics giant Siemens.

The firm says the low production costs could see the magazine shelves in newsagents come alive with moving images vying for the customers' attention as they move along the aisle.

The new technology caused a sensation when it was first made public this week at the Plastics Electronics trade fair in Frankfurt.

Siemens spokesman Norbert Aschenbrenner claimed the new screens, which are literally paper thin, can do everything a regular TV screen or computer monitor can do, but cost a fraction of the price.

"The technology makes it possible to put moving images directly onto paper ... at a cost that would make it economical to use on everything from magazines to cigarette packets ... where the moving images would give more detailed instructions than any photo could ever do," he said.

He said that the technology will be used for Harry Potter-style dynamic pictures in newspapers but will probably take a little while to get cheap enough.

"We think that at the moment the screens will appear first in more expensive magazines in the form of high-impact adverts. But as the price sinks we expect them to appear in papers as well, possibly as a really attention-grabbing front page.

"The images are in colour, and can broadcast anything that can be shown on a regular flat screen monitor or TV, although with a slightly lower quality. These could be short film clips or flash animations like those found on the internet.

The company believes there will also be a market for using them for simple computer games which could be printed on the side of a package or given away free in magazines.

The Siemens spokesman said that one square metre of the material costs around £30, and scientists working on the screens said they should be available by 2007.

· To contact the MediaGuardian newsdesk email editor@mediaguardian.co.uk or phone 020 7239 9857

· If you are writing a comment for publication, please mark clearly "for publication".

http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,1....html?gusrc=rss

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whoa182

• Blizno

• ROGER

• Weird_Al_Wonnabe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the next 5 years we are going to see some amazing things lol. I've been reading about this technology now for a few years and you may have noticed it in the movie " Mintority report ".

In the next 5 years we are going to see some amazing things lol. I've been reading about this technology now for a few years and you may have noticed it in the movie " Mintority report ".

I remember hearing about it a couple of years ago myself on some future products programme on tech TV when it used to be an informative channel (in the US). I didn't know how close they were though. I wonder if they will personalize the advertising like in Minority report. I'm sure the database on all of us is growing, and as more information about each of us is known, it will be a crazy place to live. The fact that it is cheaper to produce then TV or computer screens is the greatest part. I also remember when they were talking about this product on that programme, they made whole walls televisions in your home, and even used it as a light source on the ceiling. Cool Stuff ahead of us!

I want one!

Yup, the next 5 years will revoloutionise evreything we know, and in the next 20 we'll emerge into the world they imagined 50 years ago we'd be living in today.

^lol, indeed!

Theres nothing like watching technologies from science-fiction become reality!

:alien: The world would have stayed the same if Capt. Kirk didnt have the First Flip Telephone. Now we need cars that drive them selves because the "Drivers " are on the phone at 75 MPH.

Technology is bad, bring back the Old tube and Crystal Radios and do math with a slide rule. I say! "Bring back the Good old Days!"

post-9259-1129462684_thumb.jpg

Wow. This is great! Think about it...One dollar bills with a movin' groovin' George Washington instead of a somber one just staring blankly at you... I think I would have him chopping down a cherry tree or perhaps throwing a coin across the Potomic River. Nah.... I got it! How about George standing in the boat crossing the Delaware??? Best yet..A Bill Clinton dollar with Slick Willie bangin' some intern...:w00t: Edited by MrVelvet

imagine getting posters, they'de be like a slideshow or a moving image, awesome!

I'm not so thrilled. I think we're blasted non-stop with more than enough advertising already. Having moving, flashing ads pasted everywhere will make it much worse. There's also the distraction issue. What if a passing bus has a moving ad on the side that distracts a driver? Moving ads on billboards or on the sides of buildings? This could make the roads even more dangerous.

That said, I'd LOVE a wall-sized TV that I could roll into a tube and take with me. That would be sweet!

if i can poke my TV...and it moves....there's a problem.

Edited by justcallmefox

you could cover your room in it and have the full experience

How about this? Cover the walls, floor and ceiling of a room. Pipe in the feeds from six different video cameras somewhere out in the woods, by the ocean, whatever, as well as surround sound audio. You'd be IN that place. The poor-man's version would be to take still digital pictures from all those directions and put them up on the screens. A view from orbit in all directions! Cool! You'd be spacewalking except for that pesky gravity.

Or - write a video game where you can input the sizes and positions of the screens. Once you do that, your Pentium XII will calculate things and put the appropriate scene on each screen and completely immerse you in the game's world.

Oh! Oh! Get a dome tent made of this material. Pitch the tent and sit inside in your own, tiny virtual world!

spray-on TV- interesting idea...perhaps i could spray it on myself and walk around watching TV? :blink:

spray-on TV- interesting idea...perhaps i could spray it on myself and walk around watching TV? :blink:

You've always wanted to be on TV. Now TV can be on you!

I agree with Roger. I think this is too much. Like it's cool and all but it seems this this future stuff is going too fast when the world looks same it did 50 yrs ago-just different technology-which comes to rest wtih leaving me with the feeling that this is just the beggining of the minority report looking future-and that's scary!!!