Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

It’s universal: Lights are going out

Starlyte

It’s universal: Lights are going out

Not enough stars are being born to replace dying ones

By Robert Roy Britt

SPACE.COM

Aug. 7 — Not enough stars are being born to replace those that are dying across the cosmos, according to a new study supporting previous claims that the universe is headed into darker times.

Most of us don’t need to worry, though. Our own lights will stop shining long before a truly noticeable change occurs universally.

The new study, announced today, examined 40,000 galaxies relatively close to our own Milky Way. For billions of years, there haven’t been enough new stars turning on to replace the old ones that die and end their primary luminous phase.

The research was done by student Ben Panter and Professor Alan Heavens at Edinburgh University, along with Raul Jimenez at the University of Pennsylvania. It will be detailed in the Aug. 21 issue of the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.

“Our analysis confirms that the age of star formation is drawing to a close,” Heavens said in a statement. “The number of new stars being formed in the huge sample of galaxies we studied has been in decline for around 6 billion years.”

Full Article LINK

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Homer

• Starlyte

• Kira

• neen

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent article starlyte original.gif

Because of the nature of Dark Energy, and how stars are born, it's not surprising to find out that new stars aren't being born at a rate fast enough to replace the old ones

On a clear evening I can see so many stars I stand in awe. I can't and don't want to imagine a time when I would look up and only see one or two. How dark the night would truly be. It does make sense why this is happening though. More reason to learn to appreciate the beauty above us which is the night sky. original.gif

I agree. I love to see clear nights that are full of stars, it's truly amazing. It's even better to be under the clear night's sky with my darlin' wub.gif

Really interesting article starlyte...

I work til late in the evening. Where I get I get dropped off is on the top of a hill with very few houses and lights so I spend about five mins just looking at the stars.

<sigh> Beautiful....

Aww Homer you are such a romantic you wub.gif