Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Abandoned Asylum in San Antonio

Feenix Fire

There is this Abandoned Insane Asylum in my hometown, San Antonio. I had an uncle that died there. He was a patient and died of a brain tumor. It's been closed for years. My best friend and other teens like to go and have themselves a scare. He says that he really does think it's haunted but has never seen anything for himself. he does say that it's really creepy though. Everything was left there. Equipment, documents,... He went last halloween. he said that they opened an old elavator door and inside were all these papers thrown around. He picked up one of them and said it was a record for some lady that was admitted there. He put back and didn't touch anything after that. I told him to let me know when he'll be going back. I want to get some video and voice recordings of the place. Another friend of mine said that it is definitely haunted. He's a volunteer firefighter and went there on a call with one other guy. He said they got lost in the place and saw lots of crazy things. He said he saw shadow people. He called shadows that looked like midgets. He said it was terrifying for him and that he'd never go back. i was wondering if anybody else knows about this place. I'll see if I can google up any info.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thenamek

• LadyHay

• kiddglock

• HollyDolly

There is this Abandoned Insane Asylum in my hometown, San Antonio. I had an uncle that died there. He was a patient and died of a brain tumor. It's been closed for years. My best friend and other teens like to go and have themselves a scare. He says that he really does think it's haunted but has never seen anything for himself. he does say that it's really creepy though. Everything was left there. Equipment, documents,... He went last halloween. he said that they opened an old elavator door and inside were all these papers thrown around. He picked up one of them and said it was a record for some lady that was admitted there. He put back and didn't touch anything after that. I told him to let me know when he'll be going back. I want to get some video and voice recordings of the place. Another friend of mine said that it is definitely haunted. He's a volunteer firefighter and went there on a call with one other guy. He said they got lost in the place and saw lots of crazy things. He said he saw shadow people. He called shadows that looked like midgets. He said it was terrifying for him and that he'd never go back. i was wondering if anybody else knows about this place. I'll see if I can google up any info.

ive heard someone saying something about an asylum in san antonio too, never found out where it is and totaly would love to check this place out. san antonio is some what of a drive from houston but to take pics and film at an asylum would totally make my day. First time i saw the movie house on haunted hill ,i was like dude that would be so much fun to check somethen like that out.

Hi,

You will get farther in your searches if you use alterntive nomenclature for "Abandoned Insane Asylum...".

Try this site http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online...s/MM/smmun.html.

It is a professional journal with an abundance of information and probably includes the one you speak of.

If you can send/post pictures do so. But don't do it drunk...If you tresspasss and are drunk it's dangerous.

Most professionals, like myself, in the field (psychology) are able to get information because we know how the buildings were once named.

Good luck and let me know. Where I live now I have haunted castles, Roman forts, Stonehenge, Woodhenge and on and on.

If you go back take pictures. I won't be traveling in the states for a long time (my husband is a full time International Lawyer and I am a full time researcher and Solitary Witch. My husband finally met or saw the ghost that has been with me for a long time...it's funny because he is not only in law but is a scientist....so many things. He is brilliant and we will travel around with my camera once the University is out in May/June. He is busy.

In Scotland, about 8 hours from me, Halloween or Samhain (pronounced Sow- wen) is our higest holiday. It's our New Year and up there (Scotland) they have a huge celebration. You can probably catch it on TV. On the History or Discovery channel...I 'll find out

Be well and stay safe...I be checking in.

~*~MoonShadow~*~

they really left all the documents and instruments and stuff? :unsure: why would they do that? :unsure: i mean, aren't those kind of documents highly confidential and stuff? :unsure: but it would be interesting to get to know some people through documents. i'm always interested in what do people in the asylium see or hear. :D

It's obviously very un-known 'cause I googled it and got up a bunch of message boards asking pretty much the same question.

Ok. Well Ive actually been to the Insane Asylum in San Antonio. Ive been a few times. It took me awhile to work up the courage to go until last halloween. I was with a few friends and we went and bought a few flash lights. When we got there, there was some other kids there also, but they got to scared so they left. We were kind of scared that the cops would bust us because we heard stories from kids at school going and getting caught.

We took our chances. There are 3 buildings. All look so trashed. Yes there was paper everywhere. It looked like torn up dictionary pages..and files I supose. We didnt actually read them. It was "tagged" everywhere from previous kids. We went the the second building where we heard a story about some "unknown" force keeping you from going past the second floor. It wasnt true. There was old elevator doors and we looked down..it was kind of creepy. There seemed to be bathtubs and broken toilets in most of the rooms. I didnt see anything left behind though. We looked in every single room. My friends from school told me there would be like padding on the walls and face masks and all sorts of things. All I saw was some old matresses and cans and junk people left behind.

It was really scary. We were only there for about 5 minutes when our new flashlights were going out. We ended up with one working..and went onto the roof where there was a fire escape. I also heard stories of that same fire escape being a slide that they transported "bodies" because they didnt fit on the stairs. Stupid because there was totally an elevator. I also heard that the first small building is the place where they burned the dead bodies.

If you walk in the feild past everything you will come across some wooden crosses. I heard its where people had been buried.

All in all, even if it isnt haunted, it looks and feels damn scary. I loved it. It scared the sh** out of me and probibily anyone else who has gone.

and the story i heard is that it closed because the doctors went insane themselves and killed everyone?

i dont know.

but yeah thats my expierience. i would love to go again.

its located off of highway 37 and southton rd behind the TYC bulding.

• 2 weeks later...

ive heard someone saying something about an asylum in san antonio too, never found out where it is and totaly would love to check this place out. san antonio is some what of a drive from houston but to take pics and film at an asylum would totally make my day. First time i saw the movie house on haunted hill ,i was like dude that would be so much fun to check somethen like that out.

WELL, ACTUALLY I WENT BOUT 2 OR 3 YEARS AGO WITH SOME FRIENDS. FROM THE VERY FIRST STEP THAT I TOOK IN THE PROPERTY I SAW SOMETHING IN THE BUSHES. TO THIS DAY I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT IS OR WAS. I REMEMBER US WALKIN TOWARDS THE SECONG BUILDING AND ME FLASHING MY FLASH LIGHT TOWARDS THE GRASS IN THE DISTANCE. I SAW A FIGURE OF SOMETHING THAT ONCE THE LIGHT HIT IT IT DUCKED DOWN UNDER THE TALL GRASS. I WASNT THE ONLY ONE THAT SAW IT THOUGH IT WAS ALSO MY FRIEND WHO SAW IT. I TOLD THEM, "HEY LETS GO", SO WE STARTED WALKIN BACK TO THE CAR WHEN I TOLD THEM DONT RUN BECAUSE IF YOU DO...WHATEVER IT IS WILL CHASE YOU. AT THAT TIME SOMETHING MADE US RUN AND AS SOON AS WE STARTED RUNNING I HEARD ALOT OF DIFFERENT CRIES OF SEEMED TO BE PEOPLE ASKINS FOR HELP...IT WAS WILD AND SCARY BUT I'M WILLING TO DO IT AGAIN.

and the story i heard is that it closed because the doctors went insane themselves and killed everyone?

You know, you would think that would make the news.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

yea i went there last night. It was a scary place we went with like 4 to 5 people. You got to watch out when you go theres a neighbor that protects the property that has a shotgun. It was just okay you know seeing what it is and everything, but when we were walkin we saw a figure in the bush and all of a sudden a girl screamin came out of no where 4 times they scream same tone, same length, and same volume. It did not crack or anything. Yea it freaked me out.

Also i read that if you go bring some protection, theres people that will hi jack your car, rob you, and other things. i didnt know this till after i went so next time i go im bringin somethin in case.

Ahhhh... SAN ANTONIO... what a beautiful place!

Would anyone know the name of the Hospital? I've gone to San Antonio nearly every other weekend to go play, camp and hike and rafting.

The San Antonio Railroad tracks where the school bus full of children who died is a fake.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Also i read that if you go bring some protection, theres people that will hi jack your car, rob you, and other things. i didnt know this till after i went so next time i go im bringin somethin in case.

Yea, it always good to bring some protection, but if you're certified, you can pack your toys like these bad boys.

user posted image

Edited by NME_locus

Might think about "scouting" a place like that first....IMO....especially if you have "squatter-issues"....an ounce of prevention, right?

• 1 month later...

Hey there guys. I was hanging out with my friend Angie and sis-in-law Bo yesterday. we got to talking about the asylum and ghost tracks and set out to find them. we new were the tracks were and heard that the asylum was close by. after a bit of searching we found it. we didn't get off our car. just parked and stared at it for a while. then somebody from the house across the street shot off their shotgun. To scare us a away i suppose. Well it freakin worked! lol anywho. We went back home and Angie start doing a bit of research on the web. when googling the subject, she found this thread. I told about this site and my screen name so when she saw it she called me right away. WE're making plans to go back there soon. I'm taking a digicam and hopefully a voice recorder. I'll make sure to post something up even if we don't catch anything just so you guys can get a glimpse of the place. toodles.

~*Super Stephers*~

Hey there guys. I was hanging out with my friend Angie and sis-in-law Bo yesterday. we got to talking about the asylum and ghost tracks and set out to find them. we new were the tracks were and heard that the asylum was close by. after a bit of searching we found it. we didn't get off our car. just parked and stared at it for a while. then somebody from the house across the street shot off their shotgun. To scare us a away i suppose. Well it freakin worked! lol anywho. We went back home and Angie start doing a bit of research on the web. when googling the subject, she found this thread. I told about this site and my screen name so when she saw it she called me right away. WE're making plans to go back there soon. I'm taking a digicam and hopefully a voice recorder. I'll make sure to post something up even if we don't catch anything just so you guys can get a glimpse of the place. toodles.

~*Super Stephers*~

Bring a bulletproof vest :yes:

Pff as if the guy is going to shoot someone for tresspassing. Its not even his land! This is mind boggling to me. Do the legal enforcers know about this guy? What if the bullet were to ricochet off of something and actually hit someone? What kind of a hillbilly moron is this guy.

Im wondering now about the legalities of it all, and if this guy has fought to have the town/city tear it down. Why havent they gotten rid of this place, it wreaks of bad things possibly occuring such as rapes or murders.

Interesting building. Do you know the name of the building?

Sometimes when such buildings are left abandonded. They're usually have everything there when it was left. That's how it is sometimes.

Shadow people? It's probably the spirits of the dead people there. Trying to scary or going around the building acting nothing is wrong. ^^;

Have you ever seen Session Nine? There are quite a few abandoned government structures around. I don't know if Danvers (the place in the film) is still standing or not but there are others. The TB Hospital at Waverly in Kentucky is one of the most haunted locations in the US. Check it out on this site.

that abandoned mental hospital is currently home to the cities homeless...I dont recommend anyone going there to see for yourself...dangerous place

also its full of asbestos, so maybe the govt is planning another random airliner attack on the building so they dont have to pay for costly asbestos removal...(i was being sarcastic)

Edited by Colbert Nation

this is one of the most interesting threads i have read for a while. ive never heard of the place but its sounds really scary i dont belive tha ppl can go there i would never do it id get to scared

it sounds really cool so if any1 does get some photos or film im definately gonna watch it :tu:

they really left all the documents and instruments and stuff? :unsure: why would they do that? :unsure: i mean, aren't those kind of documents highly confidential and stuff? :unsure: but it would be interesting to get to know some people through documents. i'm always interested in what do people in the asylium see or hear. :D

The old Brice hospital here in Alabama was locked up with all the equipment and patients' records left behind also. This seems to be the case with most of these old places. Maybe there's a federal law forbidding the reuse of old hospital equipment.

Also, I believe these places are saturated with residual hauntings due to all the pain and suffering of the patients. I believe it also attracts evil spirits. Take Care...

Did anyone hear me? When they abandoned a building. The stuff gets left behind. Everything gets left behind. Especially the old equipment that was used at that time. ^^; Everything is left where it was when the bulding became useless. Sorry.

that abandoned mental hospital is currently home to the cities homeless...I dont recommend anyone going there to see for yourself...dangerous place

also its full of asbestos, so maybe the govt is planning another random airliner attack on the building so they dont have to pay for costly asbestos removal...(i was being sarcastic)

:lol: geek. yeah there's like a detention center right next door isn't there? There's a lot of haunted crap in San Antonio anyway. Especially downtown Alamo area. The Crockett hotel is supposed to be haunted. I suppose it would be much easier and a lot less dangerous to just stay a couple of nights there for a ghost experience. :P The missions are said to be very haunted too. My Grandmother lives right near Mission San Jose. It's a pretty neat place to see when you visit San Anto. The Alamodome has produced quite a few ghost stories as well. here's a link i found of some ghost pics. I don't know how genuine they are but thought it interesting enough to post.

alamo ghost?

Edited by Feenix Fire

:lol: geek. yeah there's like a detention center right next door isn't there? There's a lot of haunted crap in San Antonio anyway. Especially downtown Alamo area. The Crockett hotel is supposed to be haunted. I suppose it would be much easier and a lot less dangerous to just stay a couple of nights there for a ghost experience. :P The missions are said to be very haunted too. My Grandmother lives right near Mission San Jose. It's a pretty neat place to see when you visit San Anto. The Alamodome has produced quite a few ghost stories as well. here's a link i found of some ghost pics. I don't know how genuine they are but thought it interesting enough to post.

alamo ghost?

Most of these types of places are full of asbestos, lead and who-knows-what-else. There are a lot more health hazards than there are hazards from haints. There are also the ever-present homeless and former mental patients and the occasional Satanic dabbler not to mention police and landowners with understandably itchy trigger fingers. Any of these little investigations is fraught with real danger.

Bring a bulletproof vest :yes:

soo i went there the other night and a lot of what yall have to say happened to us as well.

when we got there we looked around and simply debated whether to even go in or not. then the neighbor fired a shot into the air which scared us half to death so we drove away. we decided to go back like 20 minutes later and got up the courage to actually go inside. it was all tagged up and dirty. we began to hear what sounded like moans. this gave me chills as you can expect. our adventure can to an abrupt end when the cops were called on us. they told us to just go home and not to go back. we bought along video cameras but for some reason the battery died when we got near the asylum so we couldnt capture the noises. we also tried to use our cell phones but that didnt work either.

good luck to those of you who are brave enough to enter.