Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Abandoned Asylum in San Antonio

Feenix Fire

Well the tracks aint real thats actually fake and if you look it up on google or any web site is will explain about the tracks... I remember I went and there were little hands but the handprints on the car are actually fingerprints from where you and other people who have recently touched the car the oil from the hands and fingers slowly absorb the powder shrinking in size as they do and the resault are handprints the size of little kids. I know about this stuff cause I'm actually going to school for investigation and stuff and they tought us this stuff and actually went out to the tracks to take notes and supposedly wut happened and as for the street names they are not named after the kids who died they were named after the honors of someone grandchildren. There is no report of a train hitting a bus full of kids so the story of the tracks are actually fake and you can log on to Google and type in Train Hitting Bus in San Antonio. Here is the piece of an article that will explain and that sums up everything that needs to be told about the tracks:: The legend is that a busload of kids were killed when their bus stalled on the tracks and was hit by a train, and now if you stop on the tracks and put your car in neutral, your car will roll over the tracks. The legend also states that if you powder your car you'll see the kids' fingerprints in the powder and that the streets in the neighborhood are named after these kids but the streets were actually named after the developer's grandchildren.

There is no record of any bus being hit by a train here, the streets in the neighborhood are named after the developer's kids (who are alive and well), if you don't wash your car down thoroughly first you'll see your own prints in the powder (and those of any kid who has touched your car recently), and it can appear that you are rolling uphill when you are actually rolling downhill.

This is a very popular legend that has been made famous in recent years by the press. The San Antonio Police Department is tired of dealing with the traffic problem caused by people testing the tracks (and the drugs and alcohol that seem to find their way there), and the local residents are tired of the traffic congestion caused by people stopping on these tracks. Do not ask me for the location, I will not disclose it out of respect for the people of San Antonio who have to live there. This is the article that I just explained above........

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thenamek

• LadyHay

• kiddglock

• HollyDolly

As for the neighbor that everyone says that has a shot gun to protect the insane asylum that is not true actually nobody really lives there haha so who ever says that they been there and they hear that its actually their mind playing tricks on them lol because there is actually nobody living in that house across the street even if so there is a Juvenal that is right next to it so if anybody was to shoot the people who work there at the Juvenal would actually call the cops to check it out so there aint nobody shooting any shot gun because it is impossible for someone who dont even live there to shoot a shot gun. Its just a figure of imagination or their mind is playing tricks on them cuz they are either afraid that their minds start to play tricks on them or that they are just so excited that they start to hear things... As for the insane asylum there was a nurse who went crazy but not all the workers went crazy it was just one nurse. The building is really unknown of what happened but there would of been a report of all the nurses going insane or it would of been on the news and on the news papers so that isn't really true. The history of the building is yes I could explain everything to you because my sisters ex boyfriend actually has some of the paper work and news papers from the time of the insane asylum and he has the papers that were in the insane asylum. There is 1 room that is cold but the whole building is Hot and the 1 room will be cold... There was actually a victim there by the name of Lea Reeves the year was 8-24-72 and her unit was 73 she is known to haunt and roam the halls there....Her name is actually written on the wall there I believe but I'm not really sure of which building it is... In the back building I will tell you now that there is wells there in the back building so I would really prefer for you not to go in the back building because there are wells so you would really have to watch where you step because once you step and fall in there is no way out and even if there was you would be dead so if you go I ask of you to be very careful and very alert of what you will feel and see and NOT to go in the back building.

I'm far more than interested in the 'San Antonio Insane Asylum' as people call it. I'm intruiged with the history of the place and was wondering whether anyone could send me some information on the place?

I'm unable to actually go to the place, seeing as I live in Tasmania, but I would love to hear some stories of people who have been there? I also read in the thread that there's also an asylum in Tasmania? Could someone email me with the information on it? Whereabouts and what-not? ^_^

Thankyou and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! :santa:

I posted about the insane asylum that explains it but there is nothing saying what really happened. there was a nurse who went crazy and killed 1 of the patients but didnt kill all what really happened was every patient there got burned to death and wen the firefighters showed up it was too late.... if u want to read more u can see for yourself of everything i put

• 4 months later...

Hello, i also live in san antonio and have visited the ASYLUM. There have been rumors going around that there are tunnels running under the buildings and was wondering if anyone could give any info they have regarding it??

I found the basement to the biggest building but no tunnles...yet ;)

Hello, i also live in san antonio and have visited the ASYLUM. There have been rumors going around that there are tunnels running under the buildings and was wondering if anyone could give any info they have regarding it??

I found the basement to the biggest building but no tunnles...yet ;)

I've never been to this asylum, but I can share some generic info with you. Most mental hospitals dating usually from the mid-1800's to the mid-1900's will have steam tunnels and even perhaps access tunnels running underneath the buildings. They will be full of toxins such as asbestos, so be extremely careful. This is besides other dangers such as the wells the gal in the posts before this one spoke of. Sometimes tramps or other homeless persons will live in the tunnels, so be advised. Most of these places are set up not as one building, but as a campus. Hence the tunnels running to and fro.

I would strongly advise against entering such tunnels. Besides being highly illegal, as I already said, it is very dangerous.

I've never been to this asylum, but I can share some generic info with you. Most mental hospitals dating usually from the mid-1800's to the mid-1900's will have steam tunnels and even perhaps access tunnels running underneath the buildings. They will be full of toxins such as asbestos, so be extremely careful. This is besides other dangers such as the wells the gal in the posts before this one spoke of. Sometimes tramps or other homeless persons will live in the tunnels, so be advised. Most of these places are set up not as one building, but as a campus. Hence the tunnels running to and fro.

I would strongly advise against entering such tunnels. Besides being highly illegal, as I already said, it is very dangerous.

I would tell anyone interested to check out the website, Handbook of Texas online.They are right now revising their website.But you can type in google search Southton,Texas and maybe the old page from the Handbookonline will pop up and you can read about the place.Also www.texasescapes.com has information on the community of Southton,but not sure if it mentions this asylum. Also the Cyndy Taylor Krier Juvi place is named for a local lady judge. For you folks living in San Antonio and the surrounding area, watch WOAI,Channel 4, Cable channel 3, at 10:00 tonight.

One of their reporters spent the night at Victoria's Black Swan Inn in San Antonio on Holbrook Road,near Fort Sam Houston.The house was built in 1867 on the site of the Battle of Salado and is haunted.The Psychic Peter James visited the place for the show,Sightings if I recall correctly.

• 6 months later...

[quote

geek. yeah there's like a detention center right next door isn't there? There's a lot of haunted crap in San Antonio anyway. Especially downtown Alamo area. The Crockett hotel is supposed to be haunted. I suppose it would be much easier and a lot less dangerous to just stay a couple of nights there for a ghost experience. :P The missions are said to be very haunted too. My Grandmother lives right near Mission San Jose. It's a pretty neat place to see when you visit San Anto. The Alamodome has produced quite a few ghost stories as well. here's a link i found of some ghost pics. I don't know how genuine they are but thought it interesting enough to post.

I actually work at the Crockett hotel :) I have heard plenty of stories but have never experienced it myself. The Menger hotel across the street is the one that is really famous for being haunted. I have never seen anything there either but I get the worst feeling every time I have to go in there. As for the Asylum I was there just yesterday. There were some papers around and it was interesting to see them. The buildings are very old and falling apart. I wouldn't recommend going at night its dangerous enough with plenty of light. The celings are almost all collapsing and the floor is unstable in many places. There is a ton of debris all over and it would be easy to get hurt. Other than that its pretty neat to explore. Even in the day its creepy. One hallway was pitch black and it was hard to not want to run through as fast as you can! I'd say take a flashlight no matter what we ended up using the flash on my camera to try to see better. I got a couple of neat pictures but I plan to go back soon with video to get the experience better! I say worth going but be very careful!

• 4 months later...

I would tell anyone interested to check out the website, Handbook of Texas online.They are right now revising their website.But you can type in google search Southton,Texas and maybe the old page from the Handbookonline will pop up and you can read about the place.Also www.texasescapes.com has information on the community of Southton,but not sure if it mentions this asylum. Also the Cyndy Taylor Krier Juvi place is named for a local lady judge. For you folks living in San Antonio and the surrounding area, watch WOAI,Channel 4, Cable channel 3, at 10:00 tonight.

One of their reporters spent the night at Victoria's Black Swan Inn in San Antonio on Holbrook Road,near Fort Sam Houston.The house was built in 1867 on the site of the Battle of Salado and is haunted.The Psychic Peter James visited the place for the show,Sightings if I recall correctly.

I just visited this old asylum spending about 2 hours there with only the light of the moon and a flashlight that kept sputtering out. (The batteries were brand new, put in just for the trip out there!!) We combed what remains of two building s out there. One seems like it was maybe used as the kitchen for the hospital and doubled as the employee lounge. (This was the smaller, single story building) I have read one person's post about someone finding papers in an elevator shaft having to do with a female patient who was there. There is only one problem with this, there is no elevator in the building! Its three stories if you include the basement, which is creepy as hell. The post I read also talked about a volunteer fireman and his partner getting lost and turned around in there. I can believe that! It doesn't look very big on the outside, but you get in there and its like a freaking maze!!!

Anyway, I got over twenty minutes of audio recording that i have yet to sit down and listen to for EVP's, and since they are already clearing the land, putting up a fence topped with razor wire, and getting ready to demolish the buildings to put up something new, I gathered a few pieces of memorabilia that were bound to get thrown out with the rest of what the wrecking ball takes out!!!

Somewhere I heard, "When you **** with the dead, they **** back." Sounds like good advice, will have to add that to my things to AVOID doing, list.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3

Wow/ I forgot about this topic. :lol: I posted it in 2005!

[quote

geek. yeah there's like a detention center right next door isn't there? There's a lot of haunted crap in San Antonio anyway. Especially downtown Alamo area. The Crockett hotel is supposed to be haunted. I suppose it would be much easier and a lot less dangerous to just stay a couple of nights there for a ghost experience. :P The missions are said to be very haunted too. My Grandmother lives right near Mission San Jose. It's a pretty neat place to see when you visit San Anto. The Alamodome has produced quite a few ghost stories as well. here's a link i found of some ghost pics. I don't know how genuine they are but thought it interesting enough to post.

I actually work at the Crockett hotel :) I have heard plenty of stories but have never experienced it myself. The Menger hotel across the street is the one that is really famous for being haunted. I have never seen anything there either but I get the worst feeling every time I have to go in there. As for the Asylum I was there just yesterday. There were some papers around and it was interesting to see them. The buildings are very old and falling apart. I wouldn't recommend going at night its dangerous enough with plenty of light. The celings are almost all collapsing and the floor is unstable in many places. There is a ton of debris all over and it would be easy to get hurt. Other than that its pretty neat to explore. Even in the day its creepy. One hallway was pitch black and it was hard to not want to run through as fast as you can! I'd say take a flashlight no matter what we ended up using the flash on my camera to try to see better. I got a couple of neat pictures but I plan to go back soon with video to get the experience better! I say worth going but be very careful!

I've lived in San Antonio all my life and have never been in the Menger Hotel. I've always wanted to stay there! Maybe I can get the hubby to get us a room for a weekend. pretty much all of downtown is haunted. :P My niece used to work at the Ripley's haunted Adventure (Right by the Alamo and hotels we're talking about for those who don't know). She once found a little boy whom she thought was lost. She tried talking to him but he disappeared or something. lol I should probably ask her about it again. It happened some time ago. Anyway it freaked her out.

As for the hospital, Yeah I actually wouldn't recommend going. You never knew who was lurking about in the place and you don't want to have to deal with the cops that the neighbor might call on you. But I guess seeing as how the place is being demolished, it no longer matters.

Just wanted to say I enjoyed reading this thread, and although I'm thousands of miles away here in the UK, just looking at the 'map' that was posted above (Map Link), I can see it is a creepy old place. :)

I know it was a few years ago now, but for those who were saying there were not 'No Trespassing' signs - whilst virtually exploring via Google, I found this - can anyone fully read it?

Google Street View Sign

I 'believe' it says 'Will Be Prosecuted' at the bottom?

Edit: Messed up the links, doh!

Edited by Matt Vinyl

• 1 month later...

The place is definitely creepy as hell.

I only went once, but plan on going back sometime. Anyone wanna go with me?

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to obtain a photo permit and have been given the run around. One person did tell me the history of the buildings i thought i'd share...

One facility was the former Bexar County Home for the Aged. The other was the Bexar County Boys Home. Each facility carried out a function that Texas Counties are required to do under the State Constitution – caring for widows, orphans and those who cannot care for themselves. Each of these functions are currently taken care of with more modern and complete facilities and programs in other parts of the County, either by the County or through partnerships with others.

Neither facility has ever been an insane asylum, nor have there ever been any “insane arsonists” that were kept there. Care for the “insane” or mentally ill, was a State function, accomplished at a different location during the timeframe of the County properties in which you are interested. Even mental health is addressed differently today, through other facilities, programs, and advances in the medical understandings of the varying conditions.

A third facility, used to be the Bexar County TB Hospital. It is on the same large property, but is not visible from the street. Tuberculosis cases are now managed by a State facility at different location.

All three facilities have not been used for their original intended purpose for many years, but they are not abandoned. They have been under study for possible restoration for re-use for various different functions.

At one time, about ten years ago, the former boys home was being used by the Bexar County Fire Marshal as a training center. Unfortunately, vandals found a cache of old materials that had been forgotten by the Fire Marshal’s staff and locked in a closet. The materials, old forms and photos, related to an investigation of a suspected arson. The videographer was either very creative or very uninformed or both.

• 7 months later...

could someone please give me instructions to the haunted insane asylum my ghost hunting crew and i tried to find it last night but it was raining and we couldnt find it

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I see that lots of people did some research, but not very much, the property and land spoken of in these articles belongs to Bexar County, look it up, thru the Bexar County Appraisal District, next, the name of the hospital : "San Antonio Chest Hospital" it was a TB hospital, it was the first of its kind in the Alamo City in those days, that is until the current TB Hospital located on Military Drive was built and put into service( still operational) From all my research, I never found where it was used as a Mental Health Facility , Yes it has had many uses, but, primary usage, Chest Hospital, and, as for what some people say existed in the basement, body parts, exc., well these things in years past were kept for study, in glass containers, people then didn't have the knowledge concerning Bio-Hazards like we do to day, in my opinion, that facility was of a very infectious nature, it is not some where (I) would go exploring, TB, infections lay dormant for years, then, it manifest itself, and usually it's too late, you got it, quality of life goes down hill rather fast after that. Ghost hunting, creepy places, places to explore, their every where you look, be careful where you go, with out doing research on a location can cause health problems, case in point, some lady friends of mine from the hospital where I worked kept trying to get me to go skinny dipping with them after work, some years ago, it's not like I wasn't interested, that has never been the problem, after getting out of med school doing my residency kept me busy, to say the least, back to the story, these friends kept commenting about the color of the water at this water hole, very bright Green?

Bright Green, scratched my head, originally from San Antonio, but working in lower South Texas, some time ago I had went to a BBQ with one of the lady's in question, I met some people, long time residents of the area, I did some inquire in to this green water hole, it wasn't a swimming hole per say, I was told that the swimming hole was actually an old uranium mine, they called it the old Smith Mine, the fellow was very knowledgeable, for in his younger days he had worked as an equipment operator in this very mine, open fasted mine, what he called it, he said that the ore mined out of the hole was said to be of medium to high grade, which indicated a high rate of radioactivity. After my lady friends learned of these findings, they ceased their skinny dipping in this area, this was many years ago, I by chance ran into one of the nurses 3 years ago, I think, anyway, I was told that several of the lady's in ladder years had fell sick with different ailments, lupus, it seemed was quit prevalent of those who had gotten ill.

I wonder if it was worth it?

The Old Doc...

Steveb, there are or were uranium mines down in Karnes County south of San Antonio years ago,so your friend is right.Also,out west towards Uvalde,there were some coal mines,and out at Dabney and Blewett there are some still operating asphalt mines.Not much to those two towns, accroding to photos and such at Texas Escapes.