Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Perseids are back

Starlyte

Make the most of the meteor show

To see the Perseids at their best, avoid the glare of the moon

August is usually regarded as “meteor month” in the Northern Hemisphere, as one of the best shooting star displays of the year reaches its peak near midmonth. The annual Perseid meteor shower is beloved by everyone from meteor enthusiasts to summer campers.

THE PERSEIDS are predicted to peak overnight on Aug. 12-13, when Earth travels through the middle of a belt of debris laid down in space by comet Swift-Tuttle.

But a major obstacle, the moon, will work against attempts to spot the fiery space dust this year. The moon will turn full on Aug. 12, severely hampering observations at just the wrong time. Bright moonlight will flood the sky all through that entire night.

Perseids, named for the constellation Perseus from which they appear to emanate, are typically fast, bright and occasionally leave persistent trains. And every once in a while, a Perseid fireball will blaze forth, bright enough to be quite spectacular and more than capable to attract attention even in bright moonlight.

Full Article LINK

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Starlyte

• forst

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome! Thanks for the info, starlyte. It's bright and clear right now, hopefully it'll stay this way through the evening/night so I can see Mars, the full moon, and the Perseids.

It's bright and clear right now, hopefully it'll stay this way through the evening/night so I can see Mars, the full moon, and the Perseids.

I hope you do see them all! What a great night that would make! I'll not be able to stay awake long enough to see the Perseids, but will be looking for Mars again. Let us know what you see tonight! original.gif

And I saw nothing. It was even more cloudy this time than last time. I could barely see the moon through all the clouds. I'll try again tonight.

And I saw nothing. It was even more cloudy this time than last time.

Too bad you didn't see anything. sad.gif I hope you have better luck tonight! Keep us posted! original.gif