Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Canadians taking part in Iraqi insurgency

Thanato

Canadians taking part in Iraqi insurgency

The head of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) says Canadians have joined the insurgency in Iraq.

James Judd, the director of CSIS, revealed Thursday evening that some of the foreign fighters in Iraq battling coalition troops are Canadians. He said there aren't many, but more are expected to join.

Speaking to reporters at a break during a security conference in Montreal, Judd was asked if Canadians were in Iraq fighting against the American-led coalition. "Yes, I believe so," he said.

He said there weren't many, "we're talking single digit numbers." But he said "we're aware of several others who are contemplating leaving."

When asked if CSIS, or the government, could do anything to prevent people from joining the insurgency Judd said didn't think there was anything legally that could be done.

"In some instances we found out about it after the fact, and to the extent that we did have some certainty about it we would want to advise our friends and allies," said the CSIS director.

According to Keith Boag, the CBC's Ottawa bureau chief, the Prime Minister's Office was "flabbergasted" that such sensitive information could be released by the head of the spy agency. "They didn't know it was being spoken about publicly and for that they [the PMO] are very angry."

"The prime minister never comments on intelligence matters and they were under the impression that CSIS didn't either," said Boag.

Acknowledgment that Canadians are fighting in Iraq raises a number of questions, such as what will their status be if they decide to return to Canada.

"It raises the longer-term question of what do they bode for the future?" Judd said.

Source

~Thanato

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Silver Thong

• Babs

• Thanato

• PadawanOsswe

I can just hear it now:

ALLAH AKBAR -eh?

:rolleyes:

That is it! We cannot blame Iran and Syria anymore! The Canadian Government must give up it's nuclear program and disarm their warheads. The U.S. must begin cross border sorties to eliminate these snow bound, beer drinking, parka wearing, hockey playing terrorists.

..........and O'Reilly will say it was the French influence that caused them to turn

...........oooohhh crap! we have Canadian mods here......

..........nevermind, just ignore this, I like you guys. You treat us Natives better than the U.S.

Lapi'che eh!

Ya come take our nuclear weap- er we have Nukes? When did this happen lol

Canada dosnt have nukes, well, we do have 50 year old nuclear plants, does that count?

lol

~Thanato

Ya come take our nuclear weap- er we have Nukes? When did this happen lol

Canada dosnt have nukes, well, we do have 50 year old nuclear plants, does that count?

lol

~Thanato

I know. Just starting some propaganda to get the invasion going. America needs an excuse. Canada is one of the few governments with half a brain because no one should have nukes. They should be banned worldwide. Nuclear weapon testing alone has done enough damage.

* takes another drink of 'strontium 90' contaminated milk*

Lapi'che

Wow! Thanato, looks like your country is going against the U.S. now, stabbing us in the back. B)

Remember-- on another thread-- how you talked about the U.S. stabbing Canada in the back and about hypocrisy? Who's hypocritical here?

I know. Just starting some propaganda to get the invasion going. America needs an excuse. Canada is one of the few governments with half a brain because no one should have nukes. They should be banned worldwide. Nuclear weapon testing alone has done enough damage.

* takes another drink of 'strontium 90' contaminated milk*

Lapi'che

yeah, the cold war turning into an actual armed conflict would have been awesome, the Nuclear deterrant has been one of the better military/diplomatic inventions of the last century, anti-nuclear weapons people are rather shortsighted in this regard. Basically, for global warfare of the likes of ww1/ww2 are a thing of the past, what happens now is much smaller scale conflicts.

yeah, the cold war turning into an actual armed conflict would have been awesome, the Nuclear deterrant has been one of the better military/diplomatic inventions of the last century, anti-nuclear weapons people are rather shortsighted in this regard. Basically, for global warfare of the likes of ww1/ww2 are a thing of the past, what happens now is much smaller scale conflicts.

I have never disagreed about their abilities to deter large conflicts. They should of been more farsighted and contained the tests as they do today. They knew how bad radiation could be when Madam Curie killed herself experimenting with Uranium containig tar.

Lapi'che

....and President Eisenhower should of let General Patton do what he wanted to do after he took Berlin. The Soviets would not of got that far.

Lapi'che

Wow! Thanato, looks like your country is going against the U.S. now, stabbing us in the back.

Yes, our whole country is going against the US. All several of us. :rolleyes:

Remember-- on another thread-- how you talked about the U.S. stabbing Canada in the back and about hypocrisy? Who's hypocritical here?

You're really that ignorant arent you? Theres a difference between the government doing it and individuals.

Gee... I suppose that the US supported the Nazis 70 years ago because there was a few americans that did?

He said there weren't many, "we're talking single digit numbers." But he said "we're aware of several others who are contemplating leaving."

I wouldn't worry too much at this point. I believe the US has had more citizens turned insurgence supporter than our brothers to the North..

To my Canadian Pals; please don't listen to this propaganda.

To my fellow Americans; don't be a git and use this for an excuse to lash out.

Thanks.

Wow! Thanato, looks like your country is going against the U.S. now, stabbing us in the back. B)

Im with steller, all seven of them, and maybe another seven thinking of going.

Anyway what to you propose we do to stop them from leaving Canada, we cant legely detain them, with out enacting the 'Martial Law' Act

So please just sit down and stop spouting hatefull thoughts.

~Thanato

I'm going to have to agree with Thanato... again. (as crazy as that seems :P )

A select few members of a nation do NOT show the entire nation. Those Canadians that are fighting with terrorists do not show Canada as a terrorist, rogue nation. They just look like fools waiting for a bullet between the eyes. :tu:

Times have changed,

Our kids are getting worse

They won't obey their parents,

They just want to fart and curse. Should we blame the government, or blame society, or should we blame the images on tv No!

Blame Canada! Blame Canada

With all their beady little eyes,

their flapping heads so full of lies

Blame Canada!

Blame Canada!

We need to form a full assault, it's Canada's fault! Don't blame me, for my son Stan, He saw the darn cartoon, and now he's off to

join the klan!> And my boy eric once, had my picture on his shelf, but now when I see him, he tells me to **** myself>

Well, Blame Canada!

But on a serious note. There are terrorists from most places fighting there. Even from here in the good old USA. John Walker Lindh, Jose Padilla, etc...

I agree. The few Canadians don't mean anything :) I was trying to talk to Thanato about his hypocrisy thing. B)

....looks like it sunk in.

Edited by Babs

Why Canada Should Be Feared...

1. Ninety percent of population is massed within 100 miles of northern American border.

2. Seems not to mind that one of its provinces has turned almost entirely French.

3. Excessive politeness only makes sense as cover for something truly sinister. But what?

4. Citizens seem strangely impervious to cold.

5. Decriminalization of marijuana and acceptance of gay marriage without corresponding collapse of social institutions indicate Canada may, in fact, be indestructible.

6. Has infiltrated entertainment industry with singers, actors, and comedians practically indistinguishable from their American counterparts.

7. Consistently stays just below cultural radar yet never quite disappears.

8. Parliamentary government and common-law judiciary appear to function acceptably yet remain completely inscrutable.

9. Never had a "disco phase."

10. Seemingly endless supply of timber, donuts, and Scotch-plaid hats with earflaps.

Extra Credit: Keeps insisting it "has no designs on America" and "only wants peace."

1. Ninety percent of population is massed within 100 miles of northern American border.

2. Seems not to mind that one of its provinces has turned almost entirely French.

3. Excessive politeness only makes sense as cover for something truly sinister. But what?

5. Decriminalization of marijuana and acceptance of gay marriage without corresponding collapse of social institutions indicate Canada may, in fact, be indestructible.

6. Has infiltrated entertainment industry with singers, actors, and comedians practically indistinguishable from their American counterparts.

8. Parliamentary government and common-law judiciary appear to function acceptably yet remain completely inscrutable.

10. Seemingly endless supply of timber, donuts, and Scotch-plaid hats with earflaps.

Extra Credit: Keeps insisting it "has no designs on America" and "only wants peace."

LOL! That was good .

Lapi'che

Thank You bathory; it is nice to be appreciated. Its nice to remember the SAC motto, 'Peace is our Profession' or the words of Saint LeMay, "when in doubt, bomb them back into the stone age".

Don't you feel the love?

That was good. :D

The following remarks are meant to be taken lightly, so lightly that you will shortly forget them. Lets call it an experiment in futility... :D

Why Canada Should Be Feared... yeah right.

1. Ninety percent of population is massed within 100 miles of northern American border. Too bad you will be outnumbered 20 to one. We have guns.

Qui parlez allemand? Close call on that one.

Does this occur on our own continent, North America?

Parkas are neat.

Marijuana makes people smart.

Bryan Adams, Celine Dion and Martin Short; need I say more?

I can agree with the first part of this statement.

8. Parliamentary government and common-law judiciary appear to function acceptably yet remain completely inscrutable. Yet the judicial system is over a million dollars in debt, that's 800,000.00 US.

Neither did most of the US citizens.

Have you ever been to Wisconsin?

Did Switzerland change area codes?

The following is meant to put whoever took the above seriously back in their place.

Too bad you will be outnumbered 20 to one. We have guns.

Its only 10 to 1, and we have guns too :P

Qui parlez allemand? Close call on that one.

Huh?

But what?

Does this occur on our own continent, North America?

Maybe it does... >:->

Parkas are neat.

Parkas? We only need parkas when it gets cold... around the -50C ish...

Bryan Adams, Celine Dion and Martin Short; need I say more?

Those are never to be mentioned again.

Yes, our whole country is going against the US. All several of us. :rolleyes:

:w00t:

all several of us... lol... :lol: