Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dinosaurs Were Warm-Blooded!

darkknight

Dinosaurs Were Warm-Blooded or cold blooded  

36 members have voted

1. 1. you decide

• warm blooded
    • cold blooded

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yelekiah

• RedX

• artymoon

• frogfish

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dinosaurs were not reptiles... and I do believe that they were warm-blooded.

Way back when, sometime around 370 mya, give or take, the amniotic egg evolved, which allowed life to reproduce on land, unlike amphibians, who needed to lay eggs in water. These first amniotes had simple, box-like skulls with only openings where they were needed for eyes, nostrils, etc, and were called anapsids. (There's a raging debate about whether turtles are surviving anapsids or not, but I'll not bother with that. However, if turtles are not anapsids, the anapsids are now extinct.)

Eventually, the anapsids produced two new lineages, each of which had extra holes in their skulls, which served to lighten them and to provide additonal sites for muscle attachment. One group had a single hole, th synapsids, and they evenually became mammals. The other group, diapsids, had two holes, and these have a more interesting history.

The Diapsids split again into two groups. One, the lepidosaurs, are modern snakes and lizards. The other is called the Archosaurs, or "ruling reptiles", and for good reason. This group has evolved into some of the most successful and frightening predators ever, including the rauisuchids, ornithosuchids, popsaurids (all 3 of which would best be imagined as giant, fast-running land crocodiles, often over 20 feet long), crocodiles, phytosaurs (similar to crocs, but with a nostril near their eyes rather than at the tip of the snout), pterosaurs, dinosaurs, and birds.

So, technically, dinosaurs weren't lizards, but they *were* reptiles, close cousins of the crocodile and ancestors of the bird.

I voted warm blooded ^_^:yes: . Because this seems like the only way they could do the things they did. Like in walking/running/moving, they look like they did all these WAY differently then reps of today do. Their bone stucture looks too different to me for them to be cold-blooded. Also, the fact that there have been Dinosaur bones fond in Antactica which is believed to have always been as cold as its is.

And plus, I believe that birds came from Dinosaurs and there not cold-blooded <_<:huh:

odd and unclear jokes...

Odd yes, because it's in response to the Dinosaurs Walk Like Mammals Thread and the debate in there. It's not my actual reason as to why they are warm-blooded. that's why it's a "joke". Meaning, don't take the statement seriously. :sleepy:

Also, the fact that there have been Dinosaur bones fond in Antactica which is believed to have always been as cold as its is.

Soory to burst your bubble, but Antarctica was near the Equator during the Mesozoic Era

I voted warm blooded. I go with the bird ancestory theory.

Lapi'che

I voted warmblooded because it makes the most sense; However, couldn't it be possible that they had a sort of hybrid thing going on? Maybe so that their blood was warmed up slightly but they still relied on some heat from the sun??

Most paleontoligists now believe dinosaurs were both cold and warm blooded. Small raptorids were likely warm blooded, while the large dinosaurs had to be cold blooded for various physiological reason.

This mirrors the living archosaurs of today. Crocodiles are cold blooded, and birds are warm blooded, but both are more closely related to one another than they are to the lower reptiles.

To say cold blooded reptiles could not have done the things that dinosaurs did is nonsense though. Charlatans like Bakker would have you believe reptiles were all slow and sluggish but this is idiocy. Some lizards are so fast they can run on water.

In fact, after the dinosaurs went extinct, a kind of crocodile evolved into a fast running, bipedal predator that looked like a theropod dinosaur. It thrived far longer than we humans, though was finally outcompeted by later mammalian predators. There is nothing to suggest they became warm blooded.

Soory to burst your bubble, but Antarctica was near the Equator during the Mesozoic Era

Sorry if I missinformed you but I just stated the first thing that came to mind. I dont really have a ear for this kind of stuff so I dont remember were it is but I did hear of some dinosaur bones being fond in a place that has always been cold (believed to be at the least).

:huh: You sound like I came at you hard or something.

Most paleontoligists now believe dinosaurs were both cold and warm blooded. Small raptorids were likely warm blooded, while the large dinosaurs had to be cold blooded for various physiological reason.

This mirrors the living archosaurs of today. Crocodiles are cold blooded, and birds are warm blooded, but both are more closely related to one another than they are to the lower reptiles.

To say cold blooded reptiles could not have done the things that dinosaurs did is nonsense though. Charlatans like Bakker would have you believe reptiles were all slow and sluggish but this is idiocy. Some lizards are so fast they can run on water.

In fact, after the dinosaurs went extinct, a kind of crocodile evolved into a fast running, bipedal predator that looked like a theropod dinosaur. It thrived far longer than we humans, though was finally outcompeted by later mammalian predators. There is nothing to suggest they became warm blooded.

How, I would think that 2 different animals with 2 very different bone stuctures would not move/perform or do things alike. Kind of like a bird trying to walk around on all 4s...It may be able to do it but it wont be good at it and that wont be its main way of moving (and please dont talk about a bird that can do that). I also know of that lizard that can run on water(the Jesuuuu...some nickname)...were did I say anything about them being sluggish or slow???(or was that directed at someone else? In which case never mind that statement)

Also, way dos ever thing turn around to Crocs in this topic? :huh: I dont see any resine to bring in a different animal into this topic.

Odd yes, because it's in response to the Dinosaurs Walk Like Mammals Thread and the debate in there. It's not my actual reason as to why they are warm-blooded. that's why it's a "joke". Meaning, don't take the statement seriously. :sleepy:

I find your "jokes" unclear because I dont know how its a joke or way you posted it for that mater

:huh::unsure: . Its not funny and it says nothing. I dont remember saying anything about your statment being serious...or saying anything about it to start so thats an other unclear statement to me :rolleyes: .

I find your "jokes" unclear

Read the last line of my post. Joking means don't take my statement seriously. I was being sarcastic, it wasn't meant for comedic purposes. You do know what sarcasm is, correct?

Crocs have everything to do with this because they are one of the dinos closest relatives, and the post cretaceous bipedal croc was an efficient hunter of mammals and looked like a theropod dinosaur despite being cold bloooded.

what do you think and why?

thank you.

Dinosaurs HAD to be warm blooded. A cold blooded animal spends most of its life trying to maintain its body temperature by seeking shade or sun. A Dinosaur with a body weight of 6 tons + would firstly, have considerable trouble trying to maintain its blood temperature within set limits.The amount of blood within its body would require great amounts of time to attain its correct temperature.

Also, It could not afford to spend half its life in shade or sun - it had to keep feeding which means it had to keep moving regardless of whether it was cold or hot.

I voted warm blooded. I go with the bird ancestory theory.

Lapi'che

I don't think all are related to the bird, and all are reptiles

that didn't make any sense...."all are reptiles? what does that have to do with birds?"

Read the last line of my post. Joking means don't take my statement seriously. I was being sarcastic, it wasn't meant for comedic purposes. You do know what sarcasm is, correct?

Ok:D Ok :D lets play the word game.

Joking really means comedic. So by saying "Im just joking" really means that your saying something but dont take it serious cause Im just trying to be funny. The right (or better) word to use is "kidding" to show that your just saying something with out meaning.

Joking and being sarcastic are 2 different things. (And yes I do know what sarcasm is

:huh: )

If you want to show sarcasm then you should have put (sarcasm) where you put (joking) to show that thats the reverse of what you really mean (you do know that sarcasm is the opposite of what you really mean and that joking means that your just saying something to be funny and not serious...I guess you do

:rolleyes: ). Maybe you need to look sarcasm up because I have seen you try to be sarcastis in a few other topics and it was not carryed out correctly.

IDK what it is about this dinosaur area but yall are coming at me a lil too hard for lil resine :mellow:

I use the word joking loosely-it can also mean I am being sarcastic. It simply means don't take me seriously or literally.

edit:

joking:Something not to be taken seriously; a triviality

(read it and weep)

Edited by Yelekiah