Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oak Island

Althalus

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Althalus

• Homer

• Magikman

• LucidElement

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an interesting topic Althalus. Magikman and SaRuMaN had a short thread about this last year, and that was the first I have heard about it. It's a wonder if the treasure-if there really is a treasure-will ever be found. It seems it is never meant to be found.

[glow=blue,2,300]Homer :sj

Well there had to be something there, or why build it in the first place?

Saying that, it could be a lot older than anyone thinks, and is from a time before the current thinking of the world beginning.

I wasn't questioning if there was anything down there. There have been several man made objects found well over 100 feet below. I was refering to whether or not there was a treasure, as many believe there is.

I agree with you that it could be a lot older than people think, too.

You're going to keep me busy today, Althalus, with all the cool information

Al,

Here's a link to the original thread if you are interested;

CLICK HERE

Magikman  :sg

Magikman,

Thanks for the link, I did not get back that far when i joined.

• 2 years later...

All i can say is OAK ISLAND is amazing discovery.. all they need to do is FIND whats in it.. Dang the Captain sure built it not to be found.. people are saying it leads to an Old Mine Shaft... why not just dig around it then dig thru, why have to dig like down the right spot is what i do not understand!

I first read of this in the early '70s. There was little information back then. Seem like it was just a wild goose chase with people making up parts of the story along the way. In he '80s I saw it on some tv show, they added that the island was now being search by a large corparation with big money. They did not get any good results.

Earlier this year there was a show on this in the history channel. If you can find a video of this show you will find what is going on. There does seem to be treasure there, but probably will not happen. They have found tunnel/shafts dug from several parts of the shore into a maze of shaft that take water into the place where the treasure is at. This water is coming from the ocean.

So how do you drain an ocean from an island?

• 3 months later...

The money pit is one of the first mysteries I became enthralled with.

I am an engineer and the first question I thought about was who would have the skill to create such an intricate system. The idea of British Navy Engineers seems most teppting but it really could have been anyone post 1750s when I think the skill required would have been available.

Why has the pit not collapsed in on top of itself?

How could a 170 ft tunnel be dug without knowing about it or seeing it happen? This was a major engineering work and I am on the verge of considering it one of my personal wonders of the world.

Why has nobody just pressuarised the tunnel to jeep the water out and excavate the site like an archaelogical dig?

This has to be my favorite unexplained mystery. I saw it on an episode of "In Search Of..." and have been fascinated by it ever since.

Everything about it is compelling.

People have lost their lives trying to unearth some treasure, yet nobody knows for sure if there's anything down there.

In a book called The Lost Treasure of the Knights Templar: Solving the Oak Island Mystery Steven Sora claims that Henry Sinclair, the earl of the Orkneys who had been sent to greenland in 1394 by Pope Boniface IX, sailed to Nova Scotia in 1398. Sora says that Sinclair was a member of the freemasons, who were descendants of the Knights Templar. Oak Island supposedly hold the treasure of Solomon's Temple that was robbed by the Kights Templar during the crusades. An altered version of this story has been used for National Treasure, claiming that the founding fathers, instead of Sinclair, hid the treasure in the New World.