Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] The Bosnian Pyramid Thread

bosnian

Sounds more like a castle fortress imo-which would still be a very cool discovery. They could have reshaped the entire hillsides to be more triangular than round to channel any would be attackers into more narrow killzones. The stones at the lower levels could have been the outermost wall. Tunnels could have allowed defense forces to flank or ambush or simply store grain.

I can see where a stairway of stone might confuse some to thinking its one big stone pyramid.

There was a Roman villa on the mountain, as well as a medieval era cemetery and other constructions.

Those and others are being used by the guy to boost his statement of a pyramid.

The reason he claims it to be a pyramid is mostly that the mountain is shaped as one.

• 3 weeks later...

For me it is hill but I must say that looks like pyramid. Best evidence is American satelite photo (which we never saw). In fact American army saw something wierd in satelite photo and they told that to Bosnian goverment. I want to see those satelite photos.

• 4 months later...

It's still going !!! http://www.piramidasunca.ba/en/

AN IMPORTANT DISCOVERY IN UNDERGROUND LABYRINTH

Saturday, 19 March 2011

Foundation’s expert team has made another important discovery in underground labyrinth “Ravne” in Visoko ‘mid of March 2011. Three hundred meters from the entrance to the Labyrinth, while new intersection was cleaned from fill up material, stone structure/wall was discovered under conglomerate. This wall is horizontal and divides two side tunnels.

Since it’s been covered by conglomerate, it means that it’s older. Considering that radiocarbon dating of the conglomerate has shown the age of 32.000 years, it can be concluded that this structure is older than that.

Project leader dr. Sam Osmanagich and leading archaeologist dr. Sara Acconci witnessed this discovery and document it.

http://www.eutimes.net/2010/08/scientists-confirm-pyramids-in-bosnia-are-oldest-known-pyramids-in-the-world/

http://allaboutbosnianpyram.blogger.ba/

Osmanagic attempted to clarify his previous statements, stating he was misquoted: he does claim that they were most likely constructed by the Illyrians, who lived in the area from 12,000 BCE to 500 BCE, and that the pyramid was therefore most likely constructed between those two dates - not in 12,000 BCE

Does match with the other ancient European.. middle eastern finds at Göbekli Tepe in Turkey: A 12,000-year-old Temple Complex

http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=3487

Some instinctive genetic links here???

http://www.isaintel.com/2011/01/31/as-predicted-turkey-steps-in-to-help-bosnia-form-new-govt-while-spreads-disinformation-on-%E2%80%98flag-row%E2%80%99/

Edited by crystal sage

It's still going !!! http://www.piramidasunca.ba/en/

http://www.eutimes.net/2010/08/scientists-confirm-pyramids-in-bosnia-are-oldest-known-pyramids-in-the-world/

http://allaboutbosnianpyram.blogger.ba/

Does match with the other ancient European.. middle eastern finds at Göbekli Tepe in Turkey: A 12,000-year-old Temple Complex

http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=3487

Thank you for links, I was wondering if there's anything new (and was too lazy... I mean, busy, to look it up myself).

:lol:

One country, four flags, fun guaranteed to never ever stop.

And spill over to my place too.

Anyway, Bosnian Muslims are not Turks, they fly Turkish flag out of spite, because Bosnian Croats are more emotionally attached to Croatian and Bosnian Serbs to Serbian flag, naturally. The official Bosnian flag is product of (rather humble) imagination of international protectors so – of course – it doesn’t yield any emotions in people. Except slight amusement and growing irritation.

The Bosnian flag should have been designed like the good old joke suggests: two bearded guys (radical Serb has to have a beard) are playing chess (Croatian coat of arms) under the moonlight (Moon is for Muslims) :lol:

Only there are two Serbs and you can’t have that in ethnically volatile environment, so the other chess player could be some pasty guy with confused look on his face, to represent the West, that keeps Bosnia together.

Back on topic.

Pyramids or not, the site is worth to be explored. I’ve been guessing about possibility of medieval and Illyrian artefacts and I’m happy the story finally goes that way.

Bosnia was advanced place in medieval times, rich, in touch with the rest of Europe and had its own identity. Then came the Ottoman invasion and Visočica (hypothetical pyramid) was one of the hills Turks never even tried to seize. They were afraid of it, with its strange echoing ground and even stranger lights in the night.

Worth exploring, like I said.

If you look at some of the Thracian history... it may be worth exploring the Bosnian links further.. as some of the building styles seem similar to the pyramids...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1310018/thracian_tombs_gold_treasures_in_bulgaria/

Bulgaria-The Mystery of The Thracians The First Civilization. Art, Tombs & gold treasure

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-sqHZngXVeJU/bulgaria_the_mystery_of_the_thracians_the_first_civilization/

THE OLDEST WRITING IN THE WORLD HAS BEEN DECODED

http://www.piramidasunca.ba/en/index.php/the-oldest-writing-in-the-world-has-been-decoded.html

Some even say that the Bosnian pyramids were built by the Thracians..

Edited by crystal sage

Mounting evidence from the 2010 summer excavations at the Bosnian Pyramids in Visoko, suggest that they are indeed man made structures and not a hoax!

http://www.buffalo.edu/news/12428

Mounting evidence....

Hm.

http://irna.lautre.net/An-outstanding-team-of-experts.html

http://irna.lautre.net/-2010-News-Briefs-.html

Pyramids or not, the site is worth to be explored. Ive been guessing about possibility of medieval and Illyrian artefacts and Im happy the story finally goes that way.

Bosnia was advanced place in medieval times, rich, in touch with the rest of Europe and had its own identity. Then came the Ottoman invasion and Visočica (hypothetical pyramid) was one of the hills Turks never even tried to seize. They were afraid of it, with its strange echoing ground and even stranger lights in the night.

Worth exploring, like I said.

I, personnally, would have had a lot less problem, and the international archeological community probably also, if the excavations had not been started by hordes of villagers with shovels clearing everything but the largest stones... and then bringing in excavation equipment because the tearing down of the hill was not going fast enough for Semir.

The first two years were less of an archeological excavation and more like trying to clear ground for a new mall.

Edited by DieChecker

Mounting evidence from the 2010 summer excavations at the Bosnian Pyramids in Visoko, suggest that they are indeed man made structures and not a hoax!

http://www.buffalo.edu/news/12428

I listened to the first 3 minutes before HAVING to comment. Thank God or Allah, same diff, for the government making the top of the hill off limits. I was afraid Semir would tear down the actual ruins to get at the "ruins" underneath.

Evidence from the tunnels says 15,000 to 45,000 years old? I'm going to have to go with "WTF" on that one. It's a tunnel... through earth... old stuff is going to be found there. The tunnels actually are not even near the "pyramids" if I remember right. Yet stuff found there is going to date activity on the hill??

OK. Back to the video.

The difference between this hill and the hill that had the Mexican Pyramid of the Sun under it is that when they dug under the hill in Mexico, they found blocks of cut stone. Under the Bosnia hill, they found bedrock and shale.

They found conglomorate stone, as well as sandstone layers with clay layers in between. Comepletely natural. Nothing to indicate being man made. The same patterns of stone, clay and conglomarate are found throughout Bosnia. Were every single hill built by the ancients?

The "mounting evidence" includes "energy photographs" and looking at the polorization lines?

I also find it amusing how they try to impose a square structure onto what the topographical maps show as Non-square hills.

http://www.bosnianpyramid.com/index_Files/Maps.html

Edited by DieChecker

I, personnally, would have had a lot less problem, and the international archeological community probably also, if the excavations had not been started by hordes of villagers with shovels clearing everything but the largest stones... and then bringing in excavation equipment because the tearing down of the hill was not going fast enough for Semir.

The first two years were less of an archeological excavation and more like trying to clear ground for a new mall.

Funny thing is that inexistent Bosnian economy looks alive only because of new malls in which people find jobs so they can go to other malls and spend their ridiculously small income there... I won't digress too far, I promise... It’s absolutely unsurprising everyone clung to the “hey, we have a pyramid!” theory and rushed to unearth it, with the same techniques they once learned in the mines.

Don’t blame the former miners, blame the ambitious guy who in my personal opinion has artistic approach to life, and that – I admit and I agree – doesn’t open any doors in hardcore materialistic modern society.

There are no mines anymore, just empty tunnels underground. And new malls up on the surface, with too big car parks in front. That will be, maybe, discovered by some future archaeologist that will say “Wow, asphalt! We have ancient Bosnian parking here and this hill is shaped like an ancient Bosnian mall!” and the scientific community will scoff at him “You idiot, there were no malls in Bosnia, they were Turks, not Americans and did their shopping at open market places. Asphalt wasn’t used in Bosnia until 2145, when they finally joined the EUSSR”.

My point is that we don’t know enough about the past to be so sure what exactly was impossible or possible. Proven or not proven, yes. But possible or not, that remains to be proven.

I don’t expect a pyramid in Visoko, but I won’t faint if the Visočica turns out to be at least partially manmade. Why not? Dig and you shall find. Or not.

The enthusiasm in the beginning was not devastating, because this site is not abundant with fine and fragile stuff, they looked for roads and walls, so shovels sound like sane choice for that phase of exploration. It’s hard to brush off 2 metres of earth and stone is quite resilient to accidental scraping with a shovel.

I don’t expect a pyramid in Visoko, but I won’t faint if the Visočica turns out to be at least partially manmade. Why not? Dig and you shall find. Or not.

There was a lot of speculation years ago that it WAS made made, or at least altered. There was a Roman fort or outpost on top of the hill and smoothing the sides and squaring it off would have been a good idea to prevent hostiles from sneaking up to the wall. But... was it built from a flat valley into a towering hill like Semir is putting forward?.... Only if you consider every single hill in the region, which all share geology, to be man made.

There was a lot of speculation years ago that it WAS made made, or at least altered. There was a Roman fort or outpost on top of the hill and smoothing the sides and squaring it off would have been a good idea to prevent hostiles from sneaking up to the wall. But... was it built from a flat valley into a towering hill like Semir is putting forward?.... Only if you consider every single hill in the region, which all share geology, to be man made.

Every single hill in the region has not been physically examined, we only assume their geology is the same. Except hills in which mine shafts were created, any other hill could have cheese and crackers inside.

Of course, I don’t expect cheese, I expect various rock formations, and I admit that some of natural structures can look to my untrained eye like they were manmade, while they were not, but I still see no reason to jump on Semir like he’s doing something dangerous or immoral.

Let people dig, what’s the worst they could achieve with that? Nothing. That’s the worst outcome.

By the way some people were revolted I got the impression they are scared of possible findings. No, not the pyramid. The little things, like carvings and pottery that would prove theories that are not welcomed by currently prevailing political options.

Now, that’s pathetic. A dreamer with shovelling crew is not the bad guy in this story and he's not doing the damage. The damage has already been done.

Every single hill in the region has not been physically examined, we only assume their geology is the same. Except hills in which mine shafts were created, any other hill could have cheese and crackers inside.

Of course, I don’t expect cheese, I expect various rock formations, and I admit that some of natural structures can look to my untrained eye like they were man made, while they were not, but I still see no reason to jump on Semir like he’s doing something dangerous or immoral.

Let people dig, what’s the worst they could achieve with that? Nothing. That’s the worst outcome.

By the way some people were revolted I got the impression they are scared of possible findings. No, not the pyramid. The little things, like carvings and pottery that would prove theories that are not welcomed by currently prevailing political options.

Now, that’s pathetic. A dreamer with shovelling crew is not the bad guy in this story and he's not doing the damage. The damage has already been done.

Allow me to disagree with you, a guy shoveling with his crew could destroy priceless artifacts from Roman or other previous cultures, if they don't know what they are doing. Which is quite honestly the case here. That's the worst outcome possible.

Allow me to disagree with you, a guy shoveling with his crew could destroy priceless artifacts from Roman or other previous cultures, if they don't know what they are doing. Which is quite honestly the case here. That's the worst outcome possible.

They are not savage idiots like they have been presented as.

Shovelling is done after the particular small area has been probed and appeared to have nothing valuable and worth careful excavation.

Of course it’s always possible to destroy something by accident, there’s no way to be sure if there’s anything under the ground until you move that ground, right?

Reminds me of situation in some parts of Croatia. Wherever you start digging, there’s a chance something medieval, ancient, neolithic... will pop out. So the digging is stopped, archaeologists assess the site and either let workers to keep digging, either brush for months.

This story has huge political background, it’s not just archaeology versus layman, and I don’t get tired of repeating stuff if I have to.

They are not savage idiots like they have been presented as.

Shovelling is done after the particular small area has been probed and appeared to have nothing valuable and worth careful excavation.

Of course it’s always possible to destroy something by accident, there’s no way to be sure if there’s anything under the ground until you move that ground, right?

Reminds me of situation in some parts of Croatia. Wherever you start digging, there’s a chance something medieval, ancient, neolithic... will pop out. So the digging is stopped, archaeologists assess the site and either let workers to keep digging, either brush for months.

This story has huge political background, it’s not just archaeology versus layman, and I don’t get tired of repeating stuff if I have to.

Archeologists use brushes, ignorant volunteers - former miners - use pickaxes...

Archeologists use brushes, ignorant volunteers - former miners - use pickaxes...

Sure. Even if there’s 2 metres of earth to be removed, it will be done with brushes only :lol:

There’s time for the shovel and time for the brush, time to get p***ed and time to sober up :P

Sure. Even if there’s 2 metres of earth to be removed, it will be done with brushes only :lol:

There’s time for the shovel and time for the brush, time to get p***ed and time to sober up :P

It's been documented that they've been using a backhoe to excavate some of the sites, while also loosing various artifacts, including skeletons recovered from the medieval cemetery.

That, coupled with the use f the Roman ruins in support of the suggestion of the pyramid, the faking of inscriptions in the cave, and other problems have me extremely skeptical of the claims of a pyramid.

It's been documented that they've been using a backhoe to excavate some of the sites, while also loosing various artifacts, including skeletons recovered from the medieval cemetery.

That, coupled with the use f the Roman ruins in support of the suggestion of the pyramid, the faking of inscriptions in the cave, and other problems have me extremely skeptical of the claims of a pyramid.

I’m not here to defend the pyramid idea, I’m simply annoyed with the witch hunt against Semir, that was started for reasons most people here don’t have any idea about.

A backhoe? Oh my god, the sacrilege! Stop the lunatic with a backhoe in his hands, but be so kind to read my previous posts before you do. Please.

I have been present during an excavation in Tiwanaku, and the archeologists are VERY carefull.

I don't blame the Bosnian volunteers, btw, they just did what they were asked to do.

But what this Samir is doing has nothing to do with any real scientific archeological research.

He just orders the volunteers to get rid of what he wants to be removed, and they do it.

I probably should appologize if it seemed I was attacking the local people, it is Semir who has been behind this project from the start. The site is what it is now, but in the first couple weeks/months, all they did was remove earth by the truckload with no archology being done at all. To look at the early pictures, tens of thousands of square feet of surface was simply cleared. No sifting was done, no recording of any artifacts. It was not till over a year and a half later that "artifacts" started to be found in the earth that was being removed... because that is when they stopped just trucking it away, and actually looked at what they were digging up.

Semir is not a villan really. He is just a showman and opportunist who is making a name for himself and probably lining his pockets. It is not like he is conducting human sacrifices or professing unending hatred. He is not Evil, he is simply Wrong.

I’m not here to defend the pyramid idea, I’m simply annoyed with the witch hunt against Semir, that was started for reasons most people here don’t have any idea about.

A backhoe? Oh my god, the sacrilege! Stop the lunatic with a backhoe in his hands, but be so kind to read my previous posts before you do. Please.

He was taking it to the historical sites, like the grave yard, which has not been documented, and digging down to the bedrock, or what he claims to be the external of the pyramid, without looking for artifacts from the graveyard.

He's set on the pyramid and not paying attention to the other landwards in the area.

For that matter, I have worked on digs, very few use backhoes, most of them use trowels, pulling layers back a bit at a time, unless they know for certain at what level they are trying to get down to. It's to easy to overlook small objects or ruin larger objects with a large shovel or backhoe.

I believe you’re right, guys, I just want you to go a bit easier on locals, what you just did. Thank you.

The only site on which I was actually doing something was in my home town. Yes, there were backhoes and pickaxes in hands of common workers and three teens from local high school (I was one of them), one archaeologist that never got a chance to show his brushes, and one disinterested bulldozer driver.

Archaeologist hoped for Romans or at least something medieval but all he got was a mass grave from WWII. I told him that on the first day, that my grandmother is sure the bodies collected after one particularly hard bombardment were buried there, but he – educated as he was – was sure that such thin bricks (bricks, for Christ sake! In Panonian mud! Wouldn’t last a century!) were not used in modern times.

When my pickaxe hit the plastic bottle (which was an interesting anomaly for 1940s mass grave) he lost a fraction of his zeal but I still wasn’t free to go home and the guy in the dozer already fell asleep. After all these years, I still envy that guy.

Other sites I’ve seen were more serious, but far from careful brushing only. There’s a castle I consider mine (because it was probably my ancestors that both built it and partially unbuilt it, before black plague inspired them to move few kilometres away) and when they started to “reconstruct” it I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Unless they’ve tagged each stone, which they didn’t do, someone is doing more damage than you could expect from a damn professional.

And no one is making an international scandal out of it. Why? Because it has no political implications.

Things a lot easier to accept, prove, explain and fit into our understanding of history have been mercilessly misused for politics in Bosnia.

Have you heard of stećak (plural stećci)? Some translate it as menhirs, but those are more like really big grave stones. Could be found in some parts of Bosnia, Herzegovina, Croatia, even Montenegro. Their inscriptions testify of advanced (medieval) culture but – ouch – of existence of Bosnian state too. Therefore, some completely professional historians from certain country a little bit to the east are literally screaming that anyone who believes stećci are anything but the falsification is a moron.

Sad but true. If it doesn’t fit your political agenda, call it fake.

I’m not saying pyramids are real or that Semir has both feet on the ground. I’m simply offering additional angle to this story. We could call it “history applied” or “how to use old graves to make new ones”.

What Semir did to Bosnian archaeology is “dao govnetu ćušku” (civilized translation would be “added insult to injury”). Now the more you rightfully warn about everything that was done wrong, the more fuel you add to Bosnian conflict which is rooted in and excused by history. Every time a Bosnian lifts up his head and says that he has history, his neighbour will scoff at him – was it Semir’s finding?

That's not your fault, of course, that's the curse of the Bosnian pyramid. *bangs head against the wall*

Well they use JCB with back hoes and large bucket to clear sites for Time Team here in England are they a bunch of morons just lining their pockets?

OooH I may have answered my own question there.

But seriously if it wasn't for TV coverage half the digs on Time Team wouldn't get a mention.

PS: They did a special once in America. Oh boy the Americans were not amused with the Brits methods me thinks.