Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Community Service

Walken

Community Service

I thought it might be neat if we all use a thread to inject ideas on how we might improve ourselves as a community. I'm not talking changing the site, but changing the community, to make us all happier, bumbley-er and let FUN-derfullness reign!

My first suggestion? As a community, we need to learn the difference between an arguement and a debate, and exercise this. For example, if me and...say, Mr. Ed, were debating the exsistence of the Illuminati, I would expect him to form his arguement with facts and evidence, rather than pettey insults and lameo braino jokes/sarcasam. In return, I would do the same.

Ideal Debate:

Walken: The symbol's are found throughout history. See example (a), ( B ) and ( c ). Also, read (this link) on numerology and how this acts as evidence as the Illuminati/

Mr. Ed: Symbol (a) is not meant as the 'evil eye'. It was put on the dollar bill by the founding fore-fathers of America to represent an 'all-seeing' god. The numerology you quote is interesting, but it is very easy to manipulate numbers in history (perceived by some as important) to mean anything. For example.... -blah-blah ... Can you quote a source on example ©?

Walken: Certainley. (Source)

Mr. Ed: That is interesting. Walken, you might be interested in Dan Brown's 'Angels and Demons'. I reccomend you read it.

Walken: Thank you, I will.

And how not to debate...

Walken: Illuminati plotted two towers.

Mr. Ed: Schizophrenic Liar!

Walken: Come on then! I'll KILL YA!!!

This whole discussion was an entirely fabricated example. We all know Mr. Ed is a lovely person and would never call me a schizophrenic Liar. I, of course, would not threaten him with murder either.

See? Isn't it nicer when we all get along?

Suggest your suggestions, please. :tu:

Edited by Walken

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Walken

• Yelekiah

• Mr Ed

• darkknight

No sarcasm. Wow. You take way all the fun. :devil:

No sarcasm. Wow. You take way all the fun.

It's not so much no-sarcasam as it is no-only-sarcasam. Like if you enter into an Illuminati to say "Of course the Illuminati exsist. Arent they in league with Bigfoot nowa-days?"

On the other hand, sarcasam is acceptable if it is attached to something that helps the discussion progress. For example...

"I don't think that source is all that reliable. It shows great bias in favour of beleivers. I'm sure you'd protest if I got a peice of 'evidence' from the UFO'S (United Foundation of Skeptics)"

"I don't think that source is all that reliable. It shows great bias in favour of beleivers. I'm sure you'd protest if I got a peice of 'evidence' from the UFO'S (United Foundation of Skeptics)"

:nw:

As long as there is no flaming, we can all have fun with this.

Another Suggestion?

It's prettey cool when I do stuff with members of UM away from UM. For example, Online Games. I regularly play Xbox Live with UM members, or meet with them on other forums. So if you're a member of an MMORPG or some other online game, just mention it in the games forum and see if anyone else plays it too.

Mr. Ed: That is interesting. Walken, you might be interested in Dan Brown's 'Angels and Demons'. I reccomend you read it.

First of all I would not recommend such drivel.

This whole discussion was an entirely fabricated example. We all know Mr. Ed is a lovely person and would never call me a schizophrenic Liar. I, of course, would not threaten him with murder either.

Why thankyou my dear chum. :P

Well we have had a few spats...I don't think schizophrenic liar came up though.

Lol nice examples Walken. Good idea, I have some input though. On the sarcasm thing, I say it is welcome if it is complex to some degree.

The examples you have given are blunt and short, but surely sarcasm that has had minutes gleefully thrown at it should be passable.

Why I was chosen as an example I do not know...

Edited by Mr Ed

How about when you find a subject that is interesting, ask questions.

When you find a subject you totally disagree with, respond with your reasons and not with anger or spite.

When you find a thread that you think is stupid, skip it and find something interesting. Don’t waste your words on fools.

How about when you find a subject that is fascinating, take some time and do a little research yourself.

If you cannot find more than three words to describe what you feel go bye a dictionary.

If you like and agree what is being said say so and add a little more meat to the discussion.

If you cant say anything nice respect the person by not saying anything!

Irish

I like all of Irish's, and the last one's prettey sweet. The best way we can get to know eachother is through 'Blogs', I whisper knowingly.

Sarcasam?

That was just an example. Sometimes we all get annoyed because members enter topics just to try and be funny. Now, theres nothing wrong with Funny-ness, as long as it's a contribution. Ending on a witty one-liner after a thought provoking wonderment is fine.

If only UM could be like this...

user posted image

...us all coming together to fulfill common goals of colouring and discussing ideas peacefully.

(I am the one in blue with the glasses and Walken is the girl smiling in front of me).

Edited by Mr Ed

I remember it being taken. Christ, look how thin I am! :o

:lol: I can't imagine what it must be like to try to get a word in with you three guys in the same room.

And how shiny your face is! I don't think I can talk though, really...

Indeed. You are looking radiant today, Mr. Ed.

I can't imagine what it must be like to try to get a word in with you three guys in the same room.

That means we're doing our job right. :yes:

But perhaps we must be back on topic?

If only UM could be like this...

user posted image

...us all coming together to fulfill common goals of colouring and discussing ideas peacefully.

(I am the one in blue with the glasses and Walken is the girl smiling in front of me).

Dude.... I'm the one drinking directly from the coffee machine! :devil:

Hehe, yeah, back on topic :innocent:

I like sarcastic comments.... as long as they're not too nastly...

And if you support it with evidence, it really takes away the punch :P

So.... I dunno how to reach a conclusion.. I want it to be peaceful, but I still want the humourous remarks :P

You guys are warmingly weird! I love it! This is the second thread I've read in this area.

Hell of an intro, don't you think? I'm already impressed by the sheer amusement of it all! :D

^yeah, the impression that I would had if this was the first post I saw from this guys, was that they're the kind of ppl that walk around with Another Day T-shirts with blue rabbit with its arms wide open and written on the T-shirt: let's all love each other^^

The member that I love the most has to be koume, I just love to see her comments on anything, sometimes can be a little hostile and a little too impulsive but in the end she seems to be a good girl.

There are some really great ppl here on this forums that will give u knowledge, make u laugh and sometimes even question your sanity *looks at Mr Ed*, just a few examples: Burnside, Saruman, Lilaburrows, Moe eubleck, kratos, talon, richdog, dot (daughter of the nine moons), and the list just keeps going...

Edited by Bahamut_0

The few examples, whilst all great members, are more notable for popularity. I think we need to extend the hand to some of the less popular newer members, hmm?

The few examples, whilst all great members, are more notable for popularity. I think we need to extend the hand to some of the less popular newer members, hmm?

well said :tu:

That does seem to be a huge problem on UM.

Now, take darkknight. I like Darkknight, but I only know Darkknight, through his interesting avatar and cool sig quote. The sad fact is I know virtually nothing about him beyond that.

How do we tackle problems like that? It would be fantastic if we could all know one thing about eachother.