Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Feeling A Connection To Strangers?

chunga

Hi all - good thread!

The spiritualist view of this type of event (or one anyway) that I believe strongly in, is that these people that you meet, are beings from our own 'soul circle'

Each spirit is not purely an individual, each member of our soul circle is there to support us, as we support them.

Each time that our spirit decides to reincarnate, and live its life span to learn new lessons, that spirit occasionaly comes across other members of our its own circle. Is it no wonder we feel an instant connection. I hesitate to use the word attraction, but how would you feel towards someone that you know subconsciously you have total trust in, and have lived past lives with, reaching back to a possible eternity.

I have experienced this for myself, and even when the meeting is fleeting, the feeling of loss can be indescribable - a part of your soul is gone!

It is surely more than a chemically triggered attraction, as some of you have said, that the connection is not of a physical nature.

I believe that the members of each circle are drawn inexorably to make connections, that events are planned (not by us) to allow these meetings to happen. Synchronicity!

What do you think?

Love and light

Barron

• 3 weeks later...

I have had this "connection to a stranger" experience as well, but now there is a twist: the person passed away on August 31st and although we never said more than "Hello", I feel a horrible sense of loss. Here is how it started: Four years ago I moved to a small Philadelphia suburb. There is a bustling downtown which is within walking distance of my house. I pretty much walk to do errands at least 3 times a week, sometimes taking my then one year old son with me. My first encounter with this stranger came in 2004 when I took my son to the annual Holiday parade on the main road about 1500 feet from my home. I was sitting on a curb when suddenly I looked up and locked eyes with a man about 15 years my senior. It was not a physical or sexual type "look", but some type of recognition or knowing. I had never seen him before in my life. Over the next year I would continually see him everywhere I went! I would be in the library and he would be there -- I would be stopped at a red light, he would be there, I can name 10-12 places around town where we would suddenly see each other -- the same "knowing" look would pass between us. We would say "hello" but that was it. I notice he lives in a street level apartment in town, as he sits outside it nearly every afternoon. I always felt some sort of sorrow for him -- not that he was a vagrant or anything -- but there was something about him that elicted sympathy although I knew nothing about him -- he did have a peculiar purplish complexion that suggested alcoholism. Fast forward 4 years to 2008 - my husband loses his IT position and takes a job in the PA state wine and spirits store downtown to supplement his severance package. As it turns out this stranger I have felt the connection with lives next door to the store. Over the course of a few months he becomes an acquaintance of my husbands' and I find out his name is John. I never have the opportunity to speak with him, other then "Hello" in passing. He passed away this weekend and I feel this inexplicable sorrow and a sense that I missed an opportunity to get to know him. I almost feel like a loved one has died. Oddest thing about it, is my now 4 year old son passed by the apartment today where John lived and said "Mommy, this is where that man lived -- he died." Does anyone know what this could be?!

Communication on a basic level is energy. Possibly simple recognition is at hand. Like a deeper awareness of what and who you really are. I think it is simply 2 vibrations that make a stronger more energetic one out of their very 'contact'.

I had a strange thing happen recently. I was attracted to a girl (need I say more?) and when I sat next to her as she was handing me something, I heard, felt and 'saw' a sound like vibration or ringing of sorts directly between us. It truly was divine. I did not communicate well with her (nor about that unfortunately) and I think she was already attached to others anyways.

I am sure people have the ability to heal as well as teach each other on a simple energetic level. But I still think it is simple recognition of energy, and the emotional content is secondary.

Communication on a basic level is energy. Possibly simple recognition is at hand. Like a deeper awareness of what and who you really are. I think it is simply 2 vibrations that make a stronger more energetic one out of their very 'contact'.

I had a strange thing happen recently. I was attracted to a girl (need I say more?) and when I sat next to her as she was handing me something, I heard, felt and 'saw' a sound like vibration or ringing of sorts directly between us. It truly was divine. I did not communicate well with her (nor about that unfortunately) and I think she was already attached to others anyways.

I am sure people have the ability to heal as well as teach each other on a simple energetic level. But I still think it is simple recognition of energy, and the emotional content is secondary.

Thanks for the insight --- are you saying that perhaps we both have the same type of energy despite outward

"appearances" and I was recognizint something beyond what I could see? This is definitely someone that based on what I saw, was "not like me", that is why I think I felt so surprised and confused with the connection. This connected feeling lasted for 4 years and is still in place, even after his death. It is amazing to think that on another level you could have the same energy. Fascinating.

Edited by Dolores

The world we see around us is physical and evident, the other world around us is spirtual, immense and somewhat evident. We all have a spirit, which is infintely more aware of

all things. It can communicate with the other spirits of other people, that is why you sense a familarity. If you approach that person, you will be amazed at what purpose there is in your encounter.

I had the same kind of encounter with a gentleman in a McDonald's, where he had the same feeling of familarity as I did. Our long conversation led to our ancestry in Romania, and we discovered we had the same relatives. We were distant cousins!

There is so much we don't know, but it's exciting to explore and discover these things.

Edit: Removed redundant quote.

-Disinterested

Wow! That is amazing! I wish I could have that kind of an encounter! But, the OP isn't crazy. I have had encounters of the same kind that they've had, where I've randomly run into individuals who I've felt familiarity with and knew right at the time I ran into them that I didn't know them. I've also had encounters where after I've met someone it felt as though I've known them all my life and didn't. The ones that really throw me back are when I run into someone who I KNOW I've NEVER met and feel as though I KNEW them in some other lifetime. Those are rare, but, I've had them.

This happens to me all the time--I was working the other night and this guy walks in--and we locked eyes so intensely yet it was unspoken but I know we both knew we were connected some how in a past life or something--it's very strange but I embrace it when it happens.

Edited by CosmicStar

i remember eating in Burger King, and this lady walked past me, and i swear i felt a strong connection with her...but idk if it was my mind playing games on me like saying "wouldnt that be weird if u just oddly knew her", but it was still odd nonetheless....either that or she was extremely good looking and i WANTED a connection hahaha :P

Too bad most of these stories don't end happily...

Yes, it is unfortunate. Rainbow Rowan's advice in the beginning of this thread is so true though. Not sure how Nessieman felt but I feel kind of sick inside and sad after rereading this thread. Some of you have nice stories though.

The subject itself is kinda sad. It's the feeling of something that never happened and never will. It never happened to me, though, as far as I remember. Good thread anyway

Sounds like this kind of experience happens in alot fast food place. It happened to me in Popeyes a couple years ago. I was pregnant at the time. I normally go through the drive through but for some reason I went inside. As I was walking out There was this woman walking in I smiled & said "HI" because our eyes meet like an old friend & she said she recognized me too but we couldn't figure out where we knew each other from, she said she's been living in TX for the last 5 years & I been here for the last 20 years & that she worked for Toyota which I never had a Toyota before & that she lived way on the North west part of San Antonio & my town is north east of San Antonio about 1/2 hour from there. She was also from a northern state & I've always lived in the south. So we just left it at that. But it was driving me nuts because I know this woman & i don't know where & she even recognized me too.

i remember eating in Burger King, and this lady walked past me, and i swear i felt a strong connection with her...but idk if it was my mind playing games on me like saying "wouldnt that be weird if u just oddly knew her", but it was still odd nonetheless....either that or she was extremely good looking and i WANTED a connection hahaha

rofl i just realized i double posted on the other page from like 4 months ago haha

• 2 weeks later...

Pelican Eel -- you expressed exactly what I am feeling in terms of something that never happened and never will. I believe this is the source of my sadness right now. On a separate note, a friend of mine brought up the possibility that I knew him from a past life and somehow knew he was making the same mistake (drinking) and that is how I felt the connection. One thought that occured to me out of the blue last week is that the first time I saw him aka the connection" I had the fleeting thought or feeling that he was going to die. I had forgotten that I had the thought because it was so fleeting -- but I did have it. Strange.

its loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove!!

just kidding.

they could be someone u know that u havent seen for a long time and has matured or something.

I've experienced this same thing myself. I made a connection with a man I met online. We had never met face to face, yet I felt unbelievably close to him. I am a fairly hard person to get to know, and don't have many close friends, so connecting with someone right off the bat is an amazing thing for me. He was several years older than I and in another state, so there is no possibility I could have met him in the past and it just slipped my mind. He was suffering with a terminal illness, yet had such a great attitude...it was amazing. We became outlets for each other to vent on, and from there great friends (purely platonic, nothing sexual at all). We talked to each other online or on the phone almost every day, usually for hours at a time. We both felt as though we had known each other for years. Sadly, before I got a chance to meet him in person, he made the decision that he could not live with his pain anymore and took his own life. He had told me that he would eventually get to that point, so I had some warning, but it was still very hard for me to deal with. I wasn't angry with him and couldn't blame him given the situation he was in. While I regret that I didn't get to meet him face to face, I am so thankful that I had him as a friend. There is no doubt in my mind that I was meant to connect with him in some way. Strange the way things work themselves out.

Miss you Tim.

• 8 years later...

This happened to me 2012 when I lost my husband I was singing with this one man but he is different but still I felt the strongest connection with him even till now I am block from him cause I told him he change dramatic and well he said who was I to judge him but I wasn't I just was just expessin what I see.... Any ways till this day I feel lime he is my destiny... I smell him around me I feel his thoughts his everything, we think alike but he has a partner and he lives in France I love in Texas bit how weired I can not let go and he feels the same way, cause he has a disguise little does he think I don't know but I do.... So I am trying as today to let him go but my heart is broken like we belong to each other weird how I feel this emotion with him and I don't feel the love from no one I don't want to be alone stuck in this predicament I need a mans love not this.... Bit I can't he is all I think I even smell when he smokes odd but true my gosh I can't help it and he won't even talk to me he even block me from Facebook!!! Just in distraught about all this!! 

1 hour ago, Delma Jay said:

This happened to me 2012 when I lost my husband I was singing with this one man but he is different but still I felt the strongest connection with him even till now I am block from him cause I told him he change dramatic and well he said who was I to judge him but I wasn't I just was just expessin what I see.... Any ways till this day I feel lime he is my destiny... I smell him around me I feel his thoughts his everything, we think alike but he has a partner and he lives in France I love in Texas bit how weired I can not let go and he feels the same way, cause he has a disguise little does he think I don't know but I do.... So I am trying as today to let him go but my heart is broken like we belong to each other weird how I feel this emotion with him and I don't feel the love from no one I don't want to be alone stuck in this predicament I need a mans love not this.... Bit I can't he is all I think I even smell when he smokes odd but true my gosh I can't help it and he won't even talk to me he even block me from Facebook!!! Just in distraught about all this!! 

I believe it's time for you to move on. 

Do you have anyone, like a therapist you could talk to? This is definitely not heathy for you to live this way. 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2008 at 0:30 PM, Barron said:

I hesitate to use the word attraction, but how would you feel towards someone that you know subconsciously you have total trust in, and have lived past lives with, reaching back to a possible eternity.

I have experienced this for myself, and even when the meeting is fleeting, the feeling of loss can be indescribable - a part of your soul is gone!

No such attraction has ever happened to me in 'real life'.  I doubt that I would trust it if it did.  I know that sounds contradictory when you said 'have total trust in and have lived past lives with'.  I am sure the feeling must be overwhelming.  The closest I can come to understanding this kind of connection is to compare it to dreams I have had at night of being a part of someone's life and then enduring the loss that occurs with the cold, harsh reality of daylight when the dream is over.  In my case, the connection was only  'in my dreams' (or nightmares), the person to whom I felt the connection was literally someone I had never met, and I don't have faith in dreams as yet.

Edited by BarnCat68

This happened to me 2006. We were both active in a certain fan group but I soon as I saw her picture  (back in the good old MySpace days) I knew that I know her and she had the same feeling about me.

We are from the same country but she is from the south also 15 years older than me and I'm from the north. We painstakingly went through our life history to check where we possibly could have known each other from but nothing. We left it at that and became good friends online.

Until 2 years later when I kind of had a precognition of sorts. For two weeks straight I had a dream to sit in a plane that is crashing right after take off. People were speaking Spanish around me. I literally died every night and told people from that group. One morning it stopped  that day there was a real plane crash in Madrid  

Totally freaked me out but than this friend asked me if I had similar dreams before because she had. Than she had an idea. Her parents made her write dream journals when she was young and I was basically a toddler. And what do you know there she found me. And not the real toddler me at the time but the me I was when we met each other including describing tattoos I have had in 06 plus one that I got in the two years it took us to figure out. She even described some distinctive moles. Little creepy but totally awesome as well. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I had this happen in a powerful way when I was 7 years old. Mom and I were about to pull out of a Dairy Queen parking lot onto the main road, and a lady, about 30 years old, was pulling into the parking lot at the same time. Our eyes connected and it was VERY intense—so strong that I had my Mom turn around and the gal and I talked...she felt it too! But after we spoke, we realized that neither of us knew one another...so we went on our separate ways, scratching our heads! I honestly have zero understanding of this encounter, but I am a believer in Jesus and the Supernatural, so I’ve always chocked it up to an angel! There have been a couple other encounters where I felt similar, but not as powerful, situations as this over my life. Again, as a kid, I had no understanding about this experience.
Today, I probably wouldn’t have left until I talked it out with that gal and we figured out what it was all about. 
maybe it is more of a Biblical “spiritual gift” of discernment of spirits, rather than something psychic? I often feel other people’s pain, my first experience, notably, was as a first or second grader. Thinking about this now, I wonder if that is why I experienced a VERY different childhood then my brother—even though we were raised in the same household? Crazy! 

Edited by Tmorrow61

1 hour ago, Tmorrow61 said:

I had this happen in a powerful way when I was 7 years old. Mom and I were about to pull out of a Dairy Queen parking lot onto the main road, and a lady, about 30 years old, was pulling into the parking lot at the same time. Our eyes connected and it was VERY intense—so strong that I had my Mom turn around and the gal and I talked...she felt it too! But after we spoke, we realized that neither of us knew one another...so we went on our separate ways, scratching our heads! I honestly have zero understanding of this encounter, but I am a believer in Jesus and the Supernatural, so I’ve always chocked it up to an angel! There have been a couple other encounters where I felt similar, but not as powerful, situations as this over my life. Again, as a kid, I had no understanding about this experience.
Today, I probably wouldn’t have left until I talked it out with that gal and we figured out what it was all about. 
maybe it is more of a Biblical “spiritual gift” of discernment of spirits, rather than something psychic? I often feel other people’s pain, my first experience, notably, was as a first or second grader. Thinking about this now, I wonder if that is why I experienced a VERY different childhood then my brother—even though we were raised in the same household? Crazy! 

You experienced a different childhood than your brother because you are two different people, it is like that for almost all siblings.  Siblings who experience similar experiences in childhood is usually because of some kind of trauma, but even then each will remember and react to different things.   

As for the "Biblical spiritual gift"  I think you are just grasping.  We are all more than the sum of our physical parts.   I have experienced similar connections with strangers, some became friends and some just a conversation for about 30 minutes and we never saw each other again.   I once had a person who worked for the same county I did who came up and identified me as "one of her roses", which referred in her imagination to her druid group from a past life.   I did feel I knew her and I also knew she was crazy.   The interactions we had were strange and at one point I had a recall that gave me a clue about her insanity and my part in her past life.   I am not sure if we actually have past lives or we just have access to some weird historical dimension to get information and we can claim it or not as our own.   I also had a very strange experience with a guy when I first got to Ft. Gordon way back when I was in the army.   I could feel this guy a block away.   The first time we met, I felt him coming up the walk to the door of the office I was waiting in so I watched to see who would open the door.  When he came in he felt something too and sat in the closest chair to the door and scanned the room, then came and sat next to me.  We started talking and didn't stop for hours.   We were good friends, but there was something about him and relationships with women that kind of split us as he had never had a female friend, only lovers and he could not separate that.