Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why pray?

iaapac

If God is all-knowing, then certainly he knows your needs, your failures and weaknesses, when you want to say thank you, etc. These messages would come from the heart, not from the lips and would obviously be known to a God who knows when a sparrow falls. So why pray?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iaapac

• Paranoid Android

Why do you tell you partner you love them when they already know. It is a good way to have a personal relationship with God. Even if he is all-knowing.

Iaapac that is a great question!!! I don't beleive in prayer as is currently defined, Pray is nothing more than thought control and really if you think about it the only true prayer there is is the prayer of gratitude, basically in line with the religious construct If God is all Knowing anyways and all things there is no lack, all that is, the Alpha the Omega and everything in between you wouldn't need to ask for anything you would say thankyou for all that is. IMO prayer is silly I know that i am loved because i love , Religon has alot of understandings that are in error IMO. Namaste Sheri

well put 101

Thanks Grizz. :D

I agree with 101-

on the same note, why ask your kid if they've gotten into the cookie jar when you can see the chocolate around their mouth?

Ha ha. Yes my uncle use to lick the creme out the oreo's and put them back. I couldn't believe he thought he could get away with that. He was always scolded for that. And he continueously did it. :lol:

I think that prayer is another word for the universe just doing its normal tricks. It brings you what you need, not what you want. It is duplicating which means that sometimes if you think something it will come on TV or show somewhere else. Love is the connection between people, so that is sometimes why they know each other's thoughts or when they might telephone for example.

But when you truly think about it, God is really just the entire populice put together. When you have a prayer answered some person had to work behind the scenes to bring it to you. That person is unaware that they are doing anything magical at all, and I will bet that they won't say that they heard 'God' talking into their ear telling them what to do. It just happens automatically. It is the way the universe works, but some people refer to it's magic as God.

I think that prayer is another word for the universe just doing its normal tricks. It brings you what you need, not what you want. It is duplicating which means that sometimes if you think something it will come on TV or show somewhere else. Love is the connection between people, so that is sometimes why they know each other's thoughts or when they might telephone for example.

But when you truly think about it, God is really just the entire populice put together. When you have a prayer answered some person had to work behind the scenes to bring it to you. That person is unaware that they are doing anything magical at all, and I will bet that they won't say that they heard 'God' talking into their ear telling them what to do. It just happens automatically. It is the way the universe works, but some people refer to it's magic as God.

true in a way but God works through people. There is a story about Elijah where he is told to wait for God to come. He sees a fire, and earthquake and a hurricane but he knows its not God. Finally he hears a tiny thought urging him to do good and be righteous, that is the voice of God.

And you dont need to prat aloud, just make an effort to think about it

so your saying god is our concience or sub concience at work?, sounds like a clever way to enslave someone if their sub-concience mind is not their own doing, but Gods.

rainbow,

if you look at the success/failure rates of 'prayers', by your model then the entire universe is broken and in need of an overhaul.

prayer may be considered like thought, or like meditation, et al. I would not let the fanciful idea of everything being superconnected take too deep a root in your thoughts though. While there are pathways between everything, they are not all always active. There is not always a connection between A and B, even though the potential for it is always there (and that potential is probablistic).

People tend to go to extremes on this stuff, either imagining a perfect world of pink skys and flying unicorns or a dark desolate world of suffering and termoil. The universe is the dynamic in the middle, folks.

wonder what people would do if they realised any concept of god is just a metaphor for the nature of the universe, hmmmmmmmmmm. I mean they didnt have hubble or super coliders back in the good ole' days, nope siree.

Edited by PLO

I think the question remains. If a wife knew everything (as many believe they do . . . . just joking) there would be no need to remind her of your love, she would constantly know it. And each time we try to deal with this question by using comparisons, we only minimize an all-knowing God.

The mistake most are making here is the assumption that the point of prayer is asking God for stuff, like a Genie in a bottle.

Prayer is simply talking to God. We talk to God through prayer. He talks to us through His Word (the BIble). Thus a two-way communication is made. Thus relationship is born. You cannot have relationship without communication.

Thus we pray as our primary source of communication with God.

Regards, PA

Edited by Paranoid Android

if you look at the success/failure rates of 'prayers'

prayer may be considered like thought, or like meditation, et al. I would not let the fanciful idea of everything being superconnected take too deep a root in your thoughts though. While there are pathways between everything, they are not all always active. There is not always a connection between A and B, even though the potential for it is always there (and that potential is probablistic).

People tend to go to extremes on this stuff, either imagining a perfect world of pink skys and flying unicorns or a dark desolate world of suffering and termoil. The universe is the dynamic in the middle, folks.

Prayer success rate: That is why I said the universe brings us what we need not what we want. Two totally different things. Most people pray for what they want.

I agree that prayer could be considered thought or meditation or wishes. But I beg to differ that everything is in fact connected through energy (some call it God).

Who goes to extremes? The universe/God just IS in my opinion.

Edited by Rainbow Rowan

hey rr, i knew you would reply with the 'needs' vs 'wants'! :lol:

I never said how things are connected, just that pathway potentials exist. Perhaps our views are more similar on this than first appeared. :lol:

Sorry, you sounded like you have a 'peaches and cream' view of everything. Indeed the universe 'is'. It is a complex system at that too. :tu:

hey rr, i knew you would reply with the 'needs' vs 'wants'! :lol:

I never said how things are connected, just that pathway potentials exist. Perhaps our views are more similar on this than first appeared. :lol:

Sorry, you sounded like you have a 'peaches and cream' view of everything. Indeed the universe 'is'. It is a complex system at that too. :tu:

Hey Hype. You are right, it is a complex system. We only have the effects not the cause most of the time like answered prayers for example. Religions were created to try to answer some of those questions. Science will take over from there I believe. Then we can finally understand how the universe works. 'God' will no longer work in mysterious ways. :yes:

Well, I believe Deity is part of everything, and vice versa. Prayer is concentrated intent. Basically, it is a religious attempt to make a wish come true.

The want/need post that rainbow talked about was a good point in my opinion. Alot of people only pray for what they want and then complain it doesn't come true.

i dont ever pray i do think though but he cant do any thing for you. well u know what i mean he can help you but only in your mind and heart its not like hes gona come down to help you..............shoot sorry got ahead of my self dont say think