Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Orders in

LizFL

Well, Frank finally got his orders in. We're going to Germany! It's cool in a way, but Its hard enough being in another state from my family, another continet will be awful! But at the same time, this will be a great opportunity. Just glad he didnt get sent to a hostile zone. Glad he's going a place I can go with him.

So does anyone have any advise, pointers or tips for an american living in germany? any major taboos or cultural differences I should know about?

P.S. Not going until spring, so I get a chance to get a little head start on learning german!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogfish

• LizFL

• Yelekiah

• Doctor_Strangelove

Top Posters In This Topic

Guten tag....du bist schlect?

Eins (1) word of advice...learn Deutche (german)

Guten tag....du bist schlect?

Eins (1) word of advice...learn Deutche (german)

I'm sure gonna try.... dunno if I should go to a community college and take a class or if I should order a CD for learning at home.... Once I figure out which road, I plan on taking a stab at it. Never been good at languages though...

its not that bad...Im takin it in school right now

rolling "r"s are fun

rrrrrr

lol really? its Deutche in our class...and for the german exchange students...and my teacher said its Deutche in Germany too

No s? How bizarre, because everyone I know spells it the way I spell it. But there are multiple spellings, so never mind.

Another tip: just because there is no speed limit on the highway, does not mean you should act like a maniac.

Don't mention WW2. Just kidding, I have no good advice becuase I have never been farther east then Saskatchewan. But good luck anywho.

Watchout on the Audobon...the drinking age is also much lower there...school is harder too

Watchout on the Audobon...the drinking age is also much lower there...school is harder too

Thanks!! dont think I will have to worry about the drinking age though, I'm a ripe ol 25 so I've had my share of stupid and wild nights.... ah the good ol days....

Seriously though, I do appreciate all the advise!!

As for the Audobaun, well, still deciding if we should take my truck or not. I am leaning towards giving it to my sister (when I tell her I'm going) and buying an old beater when I get there, then selling it again. Frank on the other hand is all into the fast truck stuff.I wouldn't mind testing things out, but I dunno how risky I want to get!!

Yelekiah- what do servers do there? I'm always nice to waitresses anyway (waited tables for 3 years myself, it really let me know how hard of a job it is), but are german waitresses known for revenge?

I've had friends move to Germany (not sure where in Germany though) approx. 5 years ago. Her hubby was also military (Canadian military) but went there to work for the Canadian Embassy (I believe)... They moved there with their 2 children, without knowing any Deutch - they were there for 2 years and absolutely adored their stay.

When they left, they lent their vehicles to their family members, left their plants and other items with some friends until their return.

They told me that even though they didn't speak german, they made friends with a lot of other military couples and were able to go shopping and go out together that way.

I wish you all the best in your endeavours. Being a military wife is extremely hard. :yes:

I'm sure gonna try.... dunno if I should go to a community college and take a class or if I should order a CD for learning at home.... Once I figure out which road, I plan on taking a stab at it. Never been good at languages though...

i have friend in Hamburg who is teaching me German. I've learnt from her over msn, and by watching German films, then I have with CDs :yes: