Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Positives of not being Religious

Sherapy

Sheri, Rose Ashes, Essan, Wannabe Skeptic, et al ... all of you are describing Humanism, which is differentiated from Atheism. Atheism denies G-d. The Humanism focus is upon practical and cultural interests, actuality, human psychologies and behavios, as opposed to theological or religious dogma. Too many will accuse/label you (us) as "non-believers" but that couldn't be further from the actual truth because you (we) do believe. We believe in Humanism.

Humanists may believe in All Things but not in a religious or theological sense. This is a working definition of All Thing from a Humanist perspective:

All Things, everything, influence(s) me. Regardless of whether or not I recognize the particular influence(s), undoubtedly to some certain degree All Things have had, currently have, and will always have cause/affect/effect upon me. (All Things, to me, means the culmination of that which comprises life, death, [G-d], the Universe, Nature, consciousness, dreams, imaginations, history, physics, math, fiction, communication, the Known and the Unknown, et cetera,-- "all things.") To deny this would be absurd. I am as you are as everyone is, the result of every movement, every choice, every idea, every chemical reaction--All Things--that have occurred leading up to this very moment. And it doesn't stop here, now; to the contrary, I am as you are: changing, redefining, reinventing, re-identifying myself/ourselves as I write this.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sherapy

• ShaunZero

• Paranoid Android

• hyperactive

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks you guys I really appreciate the depthness of the responses, A very special thanks to Ramster and Rage and especially Zero.

I really liked Separphinas direction on this thread and i wanted to add that as a having walked as Catholic as a child, and outgrowning religon at 7 actually rejefcting it it didn't feel right. I have enjoyed self esteem, tolerance of all, especially Gays and i'm teaching tolerance to my children, I solve issues peacefully, I parent without fear, I honor and value myself as a woman, I like and respect men, I'm healthy emotionally physically and spiritually, I have been the light for my family, there was such a rift becasue of religoin not being religious i was able to put my family in the direction of healing. I have no sexual issues i decide how to embrace my sexuality and allow others the same choices, All I was taught of love (conditional being the opretive word has much to my pleasure turned out to be wrong. Phew So I have a great marrige not because its perfect but because it's also imperfect. I never Martyr myself or victimize myself, I can say NO!!! Namaste Sheri

I am not religious, but there must be a great comfort in believing in an afterlife. :)

Micheal exellent post, :innocent: Namaste Sheri

Edited by Sheri berri

Here goes the Christian bashing again where Atheist claim to have more morals. Blah, this will get old fast.

The third post of this thread and the first "NEGATIVE" post and who do you think made it?

A CHRISTIAN!

It looks more like Atheist bashing was the beginning!

If you don't believe in any kind of religion then you are more likely to be hedonistic.
Why do you think this? Do you feel that all that do not follow the same belief system you do must all think the same way?

the positive is in matching your needs to a supplier.

some people are best with internal guidance, some are best with external. 'gods' provide that all encompassing external guide/motivator for those that need it. in this sense, perhaps those that need external reinforcement would flounder without it in every aspect of their lives. this does not make them weaker. Religion is born in the man, the gods are born in the man, and if a man needs these constructs they will be present no matter what name they take.

While the organized religions have done their part in contributing to the stagnation of humanity, do not forget if not for a common binding thread the resulting unrest would also have slowed man's progression. Religion is a result of a stage of development of humanity. To deny religion is to deny what man currently is (and what he has been to get to this point).

Here are some:

1) Not having to follow religious doctrine that is over 1000 years old, very outdated and various religions refuse to modernise it.

The world has changed and living by a religion that says don't use contraception is a prime example of outdated religious doctrine.

2) Coming to your own conclusions about the world, its creation.

3) Possibly relying more on fact, such as science.

4) Much more freedom if not following certain religions, e.g. can drink, can eat certain meats and can have sex with contraception.

5) No risk of religious fanatacism.

6) No risk of blindly following a religion that may well have been made up to comfort people and give answers that science couldn't give at the time, or still can't give presently, as is the case for thousands of early religions across the world, each having their own religious doctrine and miracles, each now denounced as mythology. I don't see what right they have to be denounced when billions of people follow religion that has the same liklihood of being make believe.

The list goes on.

Agreed! ...

* I don't need a book to tell me what to think, do, and teach me the differences between right and wrong. Or more to the point, I never feel the need to keep looking back in the book incase I missed something, and use quotes to make a 'point' to other people because I don't have a mind of my own.

* I don't judge others for going against the words/rules of the bible.

* I don't kid myself about where my loaf of bread came from - I bought it from the bakery - God didn't bake it!!!

* I accept what happens in life. I don't feel I'm wasting my time praying for better things, and 10 years later, notice that God hasn't done a damn thing about it.

* I keep ALL my wage that I earned (minus tax and insurance). I don't throw it away on the church.

* I can have sex when I want and not feel I'm being looked down on.

* My dinner doesn't get cold while I pray around the dining table.

The benefits for me, in not believing in religion are pretty much the same as what everyone else has already stated, the most important one though is that I realize that the time I have here is all there is ever going to be, there is nothing after and when you're gone you're gone...

It’s a very scary though to people who are religious because they want to believe there is something better and ever lasting after this is all gone, and they end up livening to die so to speak...

Where as I see my self as living to live... and love

I have a very religious family and I grew up in church I went Sundays and Wednesdays until I was about 16, a lot of people say that when we talk about christians we are stereo typing, well unfortunately by following something that tells you who you should be and how to act, and not to question you are putting your selves in to the position to be stereo typed...

The biggest thing for me is now that I have been questioning everything I was taught not to I have learned so much more about society and humanity...

Well anyway I’m just rambling on now...

The greatest thing about not believing in god... claiming you life for your self... not having to live by standards of someone else because they can say what is right or wrong…

The main advantages of not being religious is that your mind isn't clouded by unsupported, magical claims of divine manifestations that fog up your mind when searching for knowledge, and attach themselves to you emotionally like a kind of 'mental' virus.

Well said Guardman.

And you know for a fact that there is no God. If you could prove that you might just be heralded as the greatest person of all time. But you can't, that is your opinion, don't speak of it like it is fact.

And I was in Catholic school for 12 years. And the way you were taught the information is woefully inadequate compared to the way I was given it. I really wish that my school was the national standard for teaching religion. To cram it down your throat day after day is bound to make more non-beleivers than to make people who really follow the religion well. It's a shame.

I don't know for a fact that there isn't a god, But lets stick to what we 'do' know. Nothing. There is no proof, Evidence, Zip, Zadda, Nothing at all that leads us to an almighty being watching over us. Not even a clue. Humans brought these folktale gods to life, And people like you kept it going through generations. I have nothing against the Bible and all these man-made laws and morals to keep everybody happy and living forfilling lives...

But when it comes to eating Christ in a chip of stale bread, Praying with phrases that sound like magical spells, Confessing personal information to someone you don't even know, etc etc, The list goes on. All for what? To make the all seeing eye happy?

Nothing against anyones religion, But as far as I'm concerned, I only have one life. No spirit world life that goes on forever. We're here, And we don't know how and why, And you need to realize that. Hopefully you will someday. If you're right, Then maybe we could have nice Thanksgiving Dinner in the spirit world. Oh and, We'll have to bring Moe! ;)

Just to think, Thousands and thousands of years ago people believed that the Sun and Moon were gods. When they eventually realized what the sun and moon were, they moved onto believing in something else.

We won't have answers yet, But the time will come. :tu:

It's a shame.

Edited by smallpackage

I must say Sheri b you started a good thread. I haven't enjoyed reading something so much in a while. I couldn't have said it better myself from rose ashes and seraphina to essan and mklsgl. I was never so liberated as I was when I freed myself from the bondage of religion. I am free to live my life without fear of looming entities and firey demons. Although they make for great halloween stories and not so good movies, they aren't real. I am happy with my secular life. I am involved with charities and try to help my fellow human beings whenever possible. I am comfortable knowing that I don't have to measure up to a set of standards forced upon me. I don't fear death as I used to. The one thing I do know is that it will happen, some day long into the future I hope. [/font]

1.)Your morality is more "with it" in relation to society; doctrine usually fails to be progressive to the times, with slaves, women's rights, and that of same-sex people.

2.)Your experience and reason become your guide

3.)Your healthy sense of skepticism and sarcasm are more pronounced and healthy.

4.)You ralize what human actions and impulses are for, not what others say they are for

5.)You understanding what drove you to recognize points 1-4 in the first place after having tried the morality and ethics of others for too many years previously. :rolleyes:

There has been more blood spilled because in the name of 'god' than any standard war - the Spanish Inquisition for example among many, if not all, other religions. ...

Sure there may be places for those of you who are religious that you all believe to be a sanctuary, and I'm not here to insult you for that for it's your choice to find what brings you peace in life, and for some religion is that answer. I'm just expressing my personal opinion for my personal faith brings me more peace than someone else's religion.

I'm fond of saying "Religion is the root of all evil." Not to get down on organized religion, necessarily, but if we just take Christianity's "Do unto others" and "love thy neighbour" style speeches, why is there still so much war? Oh right. Because we're fighting against the heathens who don't believe...blahdeeblahblah.

Blah.

No troubles at all with faith, with spirituality. Gives people peace. Gives me peace to have faith in my friends and in myself. To feel connected to the world, if not to a god with no visible face, is satisfying and makes me feel whole. I don't need to sit in a church on Sundays to feel it. I can sit in a pub with my friends on Saturday night and get the same results.

Somebody above made mention of the limitations of religions and I agree with them. People change faster than churches do. Ideals and beliefs also change to reflect the new society, but look how long it took the Pope to pardon Galileo. "Oh, by the way, I guess he was right all along..." Sheesh. Religion might be likened to an anchor for people, but it helps to remember what else anchors do...

Edited by luckycanucky

but to my opinion only weak people need religion, (no offense to religious ppl, i'm sorry if I offended u and I ask for forgiveness if I did)

I have the same opinion of some people. A lot of people use religion as a crutch.

Everyone raises interesting "concepts" and "ideas" of Christianity but many are being very stereotypical...There are "Fors" and "Against" believing in a God but at the end of the day it is ones very own business. Atheists say they dont have to follow "Gods" laws- but its funny...Gods laws are written into "mans laws"- if you're not controlled by God- you are controlled by the Law- which came from God- so dont pretend you are so "free" from commiting right or wrong, because if God doesnt get you for doing wrong- then the law will... :tu:

Ramster... I don't see how anyone's being stereotypical; yes, we've all heard these arguments before but that doesn't make them invalid. It's true that this issue is everyone's own business, but Sherri started a thread on this and opened it up for discussion, and the fact that you're contributing doesn't really support your claim that it should be something personal. Many seem happy to discuss it, and it's their business if they want to appreciate diverse points of view...

As for god's laws and man's laws - your question is somewhat biased because what you said was "Gods laws are written into "mans laws"- if you're not controlled by God- you are controlled by the Law- which came from God". But if I don't believe in god (which I don't) then I believe that "god's laws" are in fact a dogma put in place by man in the first place, merely to control people. In which case "god's law" is actually man's law - disguised! Anyway, I don't think anyone claimed to be " 'free' from commiting right or wrong ". I can choose to commit crimes and stray into the wrong, but I don't. As an atheist, I respect regular laws, and these mostly coincide with religious laws because people's ideas of what is moral and what is not usually aren't very different, whether or not they are religious. But what I enjoy about being free from the clasps of a religious dogma is that my actions comply with my morals, and it's not because I'm afraid of going to hell. I know that in 100 years it will make no difference what I do or don't do because I'll be nothing more than a pile of ashes, so when I'm respecting laws and behaving according to my ethical values, I'm doing it for me, not for anyone else, and certainly not out of fear. In my opinion, religion is pure cowardice.

Nadia I have to remind myself you are 17 you are a brilliant youg girl,

Curiousity thankyou Girl , I love your post i could feel your freedom.

Hyper as always you have the most unique original perspective , I would like to ask you in particular not being affected by western culture , knowing you have studied the eastern philosphys, on a personal level the path you have chosen how has it benefited you.

I appreciate all the response I definitly want to here PA, 101, turtle, Zero, everybody this is very interesting each post. Namaste Sheri

What stands out is this feeling of freedom , this feeling of self sufficiancy, this confidence, i'd like to hear some more from those that are religous to get a better picture

It's a good thread, Sheri. :yes:

Just to think, Thousands and thousands of years ago people believed that the Sun and Moon were gods. When they eventually realized what the sun and moon were, they moved onto believing in something else.

We won't have answers yet, But the time will come.

I like what you say here.

The idea of gods evolves with the people. When a specific belief is gaining in popularity, like Christianity was during Constatine's age, it becomes sensible from a political standpoint to jump on board and support it. Otherwise you might find yourself thrown off your throne...

A lot of gods have been believed in across the age of the world and 99% of them have been forgotten or lost or redecorated or just paved over in the human psyche. Makes me wonder just what kind of god(s) the populous will believe in a thousand years from now. (If we last that long as a species)

lucky,

it won't take another 1000 years for radical change to have occured.

while we don't have the answers to everything yet, we have more answers than most realize or perhaps are willing to accept! Indeed, beliefs are reflective of their societies, since it is the societies that create the beliefs.

Sooner than most would expect the notions of gods will be rejected by the populace at large (reduced to a fringe group). All when the humans are ready.... :yes:

it won't take another 1000 years for radical change to have occured.

while we don't have the answers to everything yet, we have more answers than most realize or perhaps are willing to accept! Indeed, beliefs are reflective of their societies, since it is the societies that create the beliefs.

Sooner than most would expect the notions of gods will be rejected by the populace at large (reduced to a fringe group). All when the humans are ready....

A hundred then. Whatever. I just hat-picked that one. I just wonder, in light of all the push towards creationism and intelligent design right now, which direction is society going? You really think the notion of a popular god-figure is on its way out anytime soon? People naturally want to believe in something. If not a god, then what? Their government? Their apocolyptic postal worker? Cigarette companies? Walmart? (All praise the almighty dollar...) Belief isn't something you can shed like dandruff.

A hundred then. Whatever. I just hat-picked that one. I just wonder, in light of all the push towards creationism and intelligent design right now, which direction is society going? You really think the notion of a popular god-figure is on its way out anytime soon? People naturally want to believe in something. If not a god, then what? Their government? Their apocolyptic postal worker? Cigarette companies? Walmart? (All praise the almighty dollar...) Belief isn't something you can shed like dandruff.

Lucky, Beleifs are choices!!!!! Part of maturity and responsibility are in choosing your beleifs wisely, because as we can see with Religion they become behaviors, A large issue with society is very little thought is put into a beleif structure, hence we have alot of dysfunction, Beleifs actually are something that can be shed, once the door of denial is opened. I don't beleive NEED is the essence of a mature adult. Namaste Sheri

No, but that's not necessarily being religious.

Sure it is, religious means believing in a higher power or personal god.