Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Triops: Living Dinosaurs

Jeenuh

Anyone else LOVE these things? They're like sea monkeys, just better.

Picture for you:

user posted image

They come in a box like this:

user posted image

I bought mine at wal*mart, this is my second try at them, the first time my cat drank all the water when I wasn't looking and they died, silly kitty. They're on like day 4 here, I thought they wern't going to hatch because the place I had them first was too cold, but I saw about 5 this morning, they're tiny though, little flecs of swimming dust.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeenuh

• Richdog

• frogfish

• BigDaddy_GFS

Heh that's cool... how long do they live for? Do they breed while you have them? I might give them a Try-op.

Edited by Richdog

Heh that's cool... how long do they live for? Do they breed while you have them? I might give them a Try-op.

they live about 90 days, they lay eggs if you put sand in the tank after they grow big. you just have to evaporate the water and then fill it up agian.

btw, they're not dinosaurs, I know, but they are from a period of the dinosaurs? triassic or whatever, it doesn't have to be all dinosaurs I don't think. And if it does a mod can feel free to move it to crypt.

Oh, I see what you mean because I said "Living Dinosaurs" That's just what it says on the box I have. Sorry if it's confusing.

They're crustations btw.

Nothing like raping the ancient world to satisfy the innate wanting of selfish people who think life is a plaything for their amusement in a modern one.

But it is cool looking.

Nothing like raping the ancient world to satisfy the innate wanting of selfish people who think life is a plaything for their amusement in a modern one.

But it is cool looking.

The eggs they sell are made in a labratory. It's not all that bad.

BTW have you seen how they sell seamonkeys? SEAMONKEYS IN A WATCH, SEAMONKEYS IN A TUBE YOU CAN KEEP IN YOUR BACKPACK, SEAMONKEYS ON MARS!

etc.

Edited by Jeenuh

I always thought seamonkeys were a joke or something... i never knew there were actually 'seamonkeys' as.. pets.

Gues you learn something new every day.

Triops are a form of horseshoe crabs, I believe. I had them when I was 6 or 7, and after keeping them for about a year there were just two giant ones left, one of which decided to eat the other one. By the time it died, the sucker was BIG, maybe 3/4" of an inch in diameter.

Yeah, a friend of mine grew one to about 2 inches long... it was gigantic!

Edited by haunted_andrew

looks like a pokemon game or something.

user posted image

I can't wait until my Triop evolves! :w00t:

Only 300 million years to go!

Edited by Byuu94

• 2 weeks later...

Dinosaurs were land dwelling reptiles (or possibly mammals), as interesting as they are, triops are not actually dinosaurs, not even close. :no:

However, triops are still pretty cool. I tried to hatch some a couple of months ago, but it didn't work for me. I followed the instructions and waited, but nothing happened. :cry: I still have a few eggs, so I should try again. They came in a different package than yours, so maybeit's just the brand or something. <_<

I had a sea monkey once! I named him Banjo, in honor of the one on Space Ghost: Coast to Coast. He got to about a centimeter long, when my grandma killed him! :cry:

Edited by TaintedDoughnuts

Dinosaurs were land dwelling reptiles (or possibly mammals), as interesting as they are, triops are not actually dinosaurs, not even close. :no:

Kay, can a mod change it to "Living Fossils" ? I obviously made a mistake that's been corrected once already, but thanks for your concern.

• 2 weeks later...

Sea monkeys are indeed real. They are a type brine shrimp. They are pretty cool to give a go at once or twice but, unlike the images onthe box, they do not wear little crowns and stuff. They used to be advertised in the back pages of comic books. In the ads they make them out to be just this side of Atlantis or something.

Triops I'd never seen before. I know of the prehistoric sea dweller that looked a lot like these things though. From the picture that was provided, I thought that they were probably some type of horse shoe crab. I guess that they might some kind of distant relative.

Still, if I see them inthestore I'll deffinately have to buy a box and give it a whirl. I think that I've had just about everything else over the years!

• 2 weeks later...

wait so these things are actually a species thats still alive from millions upon millions of years ago? o.O