Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Christmas is coming

matthewgoad

Christmas is not far away. Do you have a fond memory of Christmas that stands out to you? If so, share it. I would love to hear. Christmas is my favorite time of the year.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• iaapac

Thanksgiving is close and its better then christmas.

The only memory I have from christmas is that I never get what I want Santa is a fascist! :angry:

And I just end up volunteering at a some center!

My fondest memories of Christmas, was when I was around the ages of 10-11 yrs old. Surrounded by a huge family, it was joyous!! :)

Now it's . . . . Humbug! <_<

My best Christmas was that of 1993, a time when my wife was dying of cancer. She was not able to go out and shop and so we agreed that we would not exchange gifts, rather, we would consider our time together as a gift. We sat in front of the fireplace and drank hot chocolate. She smiled and said, "I never thought I'd see this. I'm so thankful." So was I. We relaxed and talked about the things that really matter. Things like life and living, learning and feeling, being and letting others be. The most beautiful things were those that we didn't need to say.

She died the following May. I have never had a better Christmas before or after.

My best Christmas was that of 1993, a time when my wife was dying of cancer. She was not able to go out and shop and so we agreed that we would not exchange gifts, rather, we would consider our time together as a gift. We sat in front of the fireplace and drank hot chocolate. She smiled and said, "I never thought I'd see this. I'm so thankful." So was I. We relaxed and talked about the things that really matter. Things like life and living, learning and feeling, being and letting others be. The most beautiful things were those that we didn't need to say.

She died the following May. I have never had a better Christmas before or after.

but she never left you as she is in your heart and you are in her heart forever! one day you shall see her again :tu:

Growing up, we didn't have a lot but my mom insisted that every year in December we go through our toys. We picked out our cleanest, nicest toys and set them aside. Then my mom asked us to donate some of our good toys to charity.

She reminded us that there were kids who wouldn't have a Christmas. It taught us to be thankful for what we had but also to realize that Christmas was more than just getting presents. And now I carry on that tradition w/my kids. We donate toys and clothes to different places around here and they are realizing just how cool it is to help others.

I grew up in a family that did not (and does not) keep CHristmas. As far as I was concerned, December 25 was just another Summer day. It still surprises me when I see how much emphasis people put on this day.

Though the "best" Christmas I have had would probably be two years ago, when i was able to get time off work (no mean feat in retail) and travel up to my auntie's 500 acre farm on the North Coast. My aunt does keep Christmas. My cousin and I walked the property, looking for a suitable tree to cut down. We found one about 35 minutes from the house. We cut it down and walked back, dragging and carrying it along. It was great fun.

That's beautiful man. Inspiring.

bahh.....humbug!

Yes thats right the first time I saw that wonderful film a 'Christmas Carol'

:D

Touching story iaapac.

I remember going to see my family up north in 2001 for Christmas. After we opened the gifts (yea!), we took a roadtrip to New York and just chilled there. It was after 9/11 and everyone was so...polite. :unsure2:

But I guess that's a good thing. Then we went to Rockerfeller Center, and saw all the lights. It was better being there than my lame description. :blush:

truly touching iaapac...Your reward shall be great in Heaven. That reward is her...

My family has a lot of tensions, as My mom had 14 siblings, and some of them are not on talking terms because my Dad is Hindu and My Mom is Catholic, but when I was 7, my Mom's whole side go together for Christmas....it was my best yet...

Edited by frogfish

My Christmas memories are always confusing because my parents are divorced and have been since I was very young. Two families are not better than one if you ask me.

My Christmas memories are always confusing because my parents are divorced and have been since I was very young. Two families are not better than one if you ask me.

I agree. Past the presents and food it was just another day off from school. Now I work Xmas day because of extra pay.

Still get that holiday spirit every year, can't help it.

it's not the presents it just the atmosphere, the food, the family that come round. (I am just a sucker for x-mas)

I't doesn't matter what is going on in my live of the world, X-mas always gets me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Best X-mas was when my girlfriend and I bought our dog Grommit 2 years ago.

It was snowing, he was a wee little pup, she looked beautyful and all was right in the world, atleast for that moment.

Edited by Creepy_Steve

I have received some very nice comments here and some e-mails from those wanting to say something about my post in this thread. I simply want to thank you all and let you know that each message was special and important for me.

That is beautiful and thanks for sharing it with us :)

It's so true this year is the 1st time I have something to be truley thankful for, and that is my new daughter. I didn't think I was going to be able to have her due to loosing my last child. Even though she won't know what christmas is, I am still going to make it a special one just for her.

Oh PA that Christmas sounds cool. I never got to cut my own tree down. :cry:

But Iaapac that story about your wife was awesome. I love hot chocalate. And those are the best times. Gifts aren't always the ones in ribbon trimmed boxes.

My favorite Christmas moments are the first on my own as a single mom. My husband and I were seperated and I know this sounds stupid. But I had hardly no money and I went to dollar tree and bought presents. I bought presents for everyone. Mackenzie was so happy. We did not have a real Christmas tree( but a Christmas ficus) and I came home one day and about cried. There stood a 2 ft tall christmas tree trimmed with pink ribbon and pink lights. And my step mom's Grandmas ornaments that she had crotched. I went next door to my dad and Step mom's and told them how happy the tree made both Mackenzie and I feel.

omg you guys, all these wonderful heartfelt stories leave me with a lump in my throat.

The best chrissy we had was going up to Queensland to spend time with my mum's family and my cousins when we were little. We would stay at my grandmother's beach-house and play in the sand. You can see Keppel Island from there. It is summer-time here at Christmas, and my best memory is kids riding their bikes around early Christmas morning.

Aww 101, thats so sweet, it goes to show you that no matter how small something is (ie the tree) it still creates a nice feeling in the home. :)

On the other hand I have a sister that is so stuck up, that if she was left holding the baby and didn't have much to live on, she would still turn her nose up at something so thoughtful. :rolleyes:

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Yes I was very apprecitive. I can't believe anyone would not enjoy the little things. :no:

This yr I wonder what I could do. I am thinking about buying a small tree myself at the dollar store and some ornaments that Mackenzie and I can do ourself. She would love that.

Yes, 101, making your own ornaments is very fun, and they last for years too, bringing back the happy memories year after year.

Xmas bells: Cut sections out of egg cartons and wrapp them in foil. Then hang them up with string through a hole in the base. Sounds silly but kids love making them.

Yes I was very apprecitive. I can't believe anyone would not enjoy the little things. :no:

This yr I wonder what I could do. I am thinking about buying a small tree myself at the dollar store and some ornaments that Mackenzie and I can do ourself. She would love that.

I have a 6 foot fake tree, I have had it for over 3 years now and hope it lasts for another few years.

I find that the most thoughtful things to recieve are things that people put a lot of effort into making them. I can't explain it, but once my lil neice made me a tiny scrap book for my birthday, that contained pics of her LOL and some of her coloring in pics she had worked on. And out of all the presents I had recieved, that one was my favourite, and I still keep it in my top drawer, just so I can look through it now and again.

I want to keep it till she reaches her teens, and show it to her again just to see her reaction.

When I was expecting lil Becky, I knew how expencive it would be to stock up on nappys(diapers) ect, and turning a room into a nursery would also be expencive.

So I shopped for a few of my things on ebay and got a few good bargins, that was a good start. My partners mom & dad bought me the pram others bought me the other baby essentials ie, babys bath, changing center,moses basket ect and my brother gave me my neices old cot(crib) which came in handy, for all of the things I had bought for me and handed down to me, I for one was so greatful.

My sister (the stuck up one) announced she was 4 weeks pregnant, one week after Becky was born, in fact she made a point in calling over to tell me, so( even though the whole time I was pregnant she never once called me or spoke to me)

I told her that when her baby arrives, she could have some of my baby stuff, she instantly turned her nose up saying...no thanks, we will buy our own stuff. Yet at the same time complained that she may not be able to afford all the new stuff for the baby ect, but still would turn her nose up at anything handed to her to help her out, because buying furniture while waiting on a new arrival is expencive, but she wont listen.

With it coming up to Christmas, I warned her not to over do it this year and save what ever she can before the baby arrives, again she wont listen, but she will find how hard things are when it creeps up on her, unless my dad helps her out as usual

:rolleyes:

I have a 6 foot fake tree, I have had it for over 3 years now and hope it lasts for another few years.

I find that the most thoughtful things to recieve are things that people put a lot of effort into making them. I can't explain it, but once my lil neice made me a tiny scrap book for my birthday, that contained pics of her LOL and some of her coloring in pics she had worked on. And out of all the presents I had recieved, that one was my favourite, and I still keep it in my top drawer, just so I can look through it now and again.

I want to keep it till she reaches her teens, and show it to her again just to see her reaction.

When I was expecting lil Becky, I knew how expencive it would be to stock up on nappys(diapers) ect, and turning a room into a nursery would also be expencive.

So I shopped for a few of my things on ebay and got a few good bargins, that was a good start. My partners mom & dad bought me the pram others bought me the other baby essentials ie, babys bath, changing center,moses basket ect and my brother gave me my neices old cot(crib) which came in handy, for all of the things I had bought for me and handed down to me, I for one was so greatful.

My sister (the stuck up one) announced she was 4 weeks pregnant, one week after Becky was born, in fact she made a point in calling over to tell me, so( even though the whole time I was pregnant she never once called me or spoke to me)

I told her that when her baby arrives, she could have some of my baby stuff, she instantly turned her nose up saying...no thanks, we will buy our own stuff. Yet at the same time complained that she may not be able to afford all the new stuff for the baby ect, but still would turn her nose up at anything handed to her to help her out, because buying furniture while waiting on a new arrival is expencive, but she wont listen.

With it coming up to Christmas, I warned her not to over do it this year and save what ever she can before the baby arrives, again she wont listen, but she will find how hard things are when it creeps up on her, unless my dad helps her out as usual

:rolleyes:

Christmas is the time for sharing and it is sad that there are those who don't know how. They don't know how to share what they have or receive what others want to share with them. You will never find them in this thread because if they had a great Christmas, they wouldn't recognize it.

I would have to say, my best Christmas experience was my worst. It was December of 2001, and I was about halfway through a one-year tour in Korea. This was my first Christmas away from home, and I was really missing the family, especially since this was post 9-11, and they're from New Jersey.

So, I was bummed about not getting gifts Christmas day, instead waking up to that awful Korea smell, and extreme cold.

I thought it was going to be another day of work, instead my boss gave me some keys, and it was my job to drive around relieving people to come in for a Christmas meal. I spent the whole day driving around taking care of people, and I felt a little like Santa, giving them some time off to enjoy the meal.

In the end, I guess I got a case of the warm fuzzies...I was just happy to be able to help out other people that day.

Christmas is the time for sharing and it is sad that there are those who don't know how. They don't know how to share what they have or receive what others want to share with them. You will never find them in this thread because if they had a great Christmas, they wouldn't recognize it.

Once again iaapac you have made a good point

:tu:

I appreciate anything that is given to me.

I love it when I have spent some time on my photographic work (its a hobby of mine) and when I see that others have liked any of my work, it makes it worth while.

Recentely I posted up a pic of my neice on the rouges gallery of my neice as Dorothy from the Wizzard of OZ, and I had spent some time on it. When someone else posted back saying it was good, I felt so chuffed and can't wait to show more.

This christmas I am making my own christmas cards for friends & family, I have already sorted out some of the pics for it, which I will be posting in the gallery soon.

My sister and I are the complete opposite of eachother when it comes to christmas, she seems to think its a competition to see who buys who the most expencive present...IMO thats just sad :rolleyes: