Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World Peace

ShaunZero

World Peace  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Can humans obtain world peace with no outside help?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I'm not sure.

I'll let you guys argue this one for now. What I mean by world peace is a place where everyone is safe, where there is little to no violence, everyone can live in harmony and live in freedom and nations get along. No war, that sort of thing.

Edited by ZeroShadow

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShaunZero

• Paranoid Android

• Jodie.Lynne

• RedX

Well...as has been proven time and time again, there's no better way to acheive peaceful relationships between enemies than to give them someone they both want dead :P

An alien invasion, for example, would be an excellent way of acheiving lasting peace between the world superpowers...however, "lasting" isn't the same as "everlasting", and I don't think humans actually have the capacity to achieve an enduring peace in a resource based society.

Wow, there's 1 vote for each one so far. I voted no, I just don't see how it would be possible. There will ALWAYS be different types of people, and in those types of people will be ignorant people, violent people, etc.... You can't change the world. Although, I do beleive one can still change it for the better(a small change however). A small change is better than no change, so trying to change the world for the better is still a good thing to do even though you'll never acheive world peace.

Edited by ZeroShadow

Going back to a previous post I made on human selfishness, I cannot see a way for humanity to ensure peace while there are those seeking and striving for more power.

Until we as a species start thinking of the needs of others and not our own self-serving needs, peace is nothing but a pipe dream.

I voted 'no'.

If there was one culture and one religion then yes. But this will never happen. :no:

I voted "yes".

Peace cannot be 'enforced', nor forced upon another.

Case in point: The Bosian-Serbian conflict. The only time that these two groups were at 'peace' was during the Soviet occupation of the region. As soon as that influence was removed, the old hatreds sprang back, even worse than before.

Peace can ONLY come from those involved, and not from some outside influence. A third party can mediate, but the desire for peace MUST come from the conflicted parties.

I do beleive Peace can be acheived its a state of mind, you have to choose it as a behavior more than you don't, you do that enough you will become peaceful, Ghandi is a great inspiration and example of what choosing peace can accomplish. You have to beleive that its posssible to start. Namaste sheri

My main issue is people such as drug dealers, gangsters, etc... They won't even give you the time of day to listen to you. I'd wish anyone luck on trying to convince them to keep this a peaceful world. And some people have mental problems that they just can't help. Makes them violent. My girlfriend's brother is like that, he tried killin himself about 4 days ago. Took about 25 sleeping pills.

I voted no. Without the threat of war, peace can never be maintained.

As long as there are different religions, different races, different belief's, etc... People will have a reason to fight.

The only exception is a planetary threat, such as a comet, asteroid, mega-volcanic eruption, and so on... That might draw most people together, but your still going to have extremist's saying it's the earth purge it's poisons, it's god's will, it's natural selection...etc...

I voted no. Without the threat of war, peace can never be maintained.

As long as there are different religions, different races, different belief's, etc... People will have a reason to fight.

The only exception is a planetary threat, such as a comet, asteroid, mega-volcanic eruption, and so on... That might draw most people together, but your still going to have extremist's saying it's the earth purge it's poisons, it's god's will, it's natural selection...etc...

Exactly, there is no wait to get passed arguements and fights. They will always be as long as.... yeah let me not go there I'm going to get bashed and flamed.

I hate to point this out Zero, but you yourself are making distinctions about 'those' people (fill in the 'those' with your favorite gripe).

If I believe in XYZ, but you believe in ABC, you assume that we can never live in peace. In reality, as long as my beliefs have no effect on you, and yours have no effect on me, then we are golden. BUT, when people think "there can be no peace until everyone is the same", that is a recipe for diaster. Without varying points of view, and opinion, we would stagnate and die.

Most of the "differences" we see in each other are really just artificial boundaries we place on people. We create the devisiveness ourselves. We are the only ones who can stop it.

And, I am unsure how your g/f brothers attempted suicide is a threat to peace.

Before we get embroiled in a long drawn out arguement, could you define what you mean by "peace"?

Its sad really, that so many have such little faith in their own species.

Perhaps all you naysayers are right, and the best thing we can do is eliminate ourselves from the cosmos in the most efficient way possible.

Yep, people won't change, I may as well just start killing people indiscriminately, what difference does it make? We won't change.

So I guess its better to throw our hands in the air, then pray that god will fix things? No thanks.

You want peace? Then YOU, and YOU, and yes YOU in the back there, YOU all have to start.

Start by stop claiming your version of daubing blue paint on your belly and praying to the sky is better than the next.

Start by not worrying what the guy next door is doing. Unless of course, it has the potential to cause damage to life, limb, and property.

Stop worrying about 'race' (there IS only one on this planet, you know), and trying accepting people for what they are: people.

Stop worrying about who is sleeping with who. Worry about your own sex life instead.

Start by not thinking of people by labels.

Start by thinking what YOU can do to help another, without being "paid back".

Learn to value people, not 'things'

If I believe in XYZ, but you believe in ABC, you assume that we can never live in peace.

I'm not saying we'll never be able to be in the same place at one time while not argueing, but differences will always at some point in time bring up contraversy. You'll never get everyone to agree with eachother(And yes you'll need to to have world peace, beacuse some people beleive in things such as slavery, etc...). There will always be some form of contraversy somewhere.

JMPD, it's sad how you put people who disagree with you down and say we have little faith in humans. I have alot of faith, I belevie we can make the world a better place but never obtain full world peace. There is a limit to what we can do wether you like that or not.

Yep, people won't change, I may as well just start killing people indiscriminately, what difference does it make? We won't change.

Now you're exagerating. Some people will change, but I'm saying not all. If you can't get all people to change it won't happen.

Let's start off by me asking you this. How will you convince gang bangers and drug dealers to stop what they're doing?

I've already said we should all try to make it a better place but don't expect to make world peace. And there are some people who don't want world peace, what will you do with those people?

No one is perfect, and there will ALWAYS be something somewhere happening to create contraversy. Like Yelekiah said, human nature makes it inevitable. The world is way too big of a place to get everyone to agree to world peace. Some people like violence.

And, I am unsure how your g/f brothers attempted suicide is a threat to peace.

That would have devastated her family, and someone else could have killed themself(It runs in the family). He's bipolar, he's very violent, I think that's the reason he tried to kill himself. He pulled a knife out on my girlfriend not long before he tried killing himself.

What do I mean by peace? Read my first post. I use the words world peace for lack of a better term.(Last time you thought I ment something different when I said world peace).

Edited by ZeroShadow

you are right zero. there can never be peace.

we are doomed until sky daddy comes to save to the good and punish the wicked. so we shouldn't even try to do anything for ourselves.

We can make the world a better place, so that's up to you if you don't want to even try that.

But answer me, what will you do to change drug dealers and gang bangers, and the people who don't agree with world peace(Yes there are some).

We can make the world a better place, so that's up to you if you don't want to even try that.

But answer me, what will you do to change drug dealers and gang bangers, and the people who don't agree with world peace(Yes there are some).

You keep bringing up drug dealers and gang bangers. I'm not sure how they relate to world peace, but the way to stop them is to make it very unprofitable for them to do business.

The reason I asked for your definition of peace is because you seem to equate peace with absolute conformity of thought and deed.

You come across as seeming to believe that disagreement = conflict, and only by thinking/feeling/believing exactly the same as everyone else guarantees 'peace'. Peace doesn't mean being a mindless drone of the next guy. That isn't an intelligent species, thats an ant colony.

your girls brother tried to commit suicide, how does that impact on world peace?

You're assuming I beleive that all dissagrement= conflict, that is not so. I'm saying that there will always be contraversy. And how do drug dealers stop world peace? Drugs can make you do bad things, hurts people, makes them become addicted, ruins their lives, etc.. And what do you think a gang does? Promotes violence. Street gangs is what I'm talking about.

Now, what about people who do not agree with world peace?

I'm not saying everyone has to beleive the same things, I'm saying you'd need to get everyone to accept eachother, and you're not going to do that, some people just refuse.

Edited by ZeroShadow

well then, what is your solution to these obstacles to world peace? I've heard you say it can't happen until we stop these things.

Tell me, whats the solution?

There is none, that's why I'm saying we can't have world peace. Unless, however, you have an idea.

I've heard you say it can't happen until we stop these things.

To obtain world peace, we need to stop these things. We cannot stop all of these things, therefore cannot obtain world peace. That's what I've been saying all along, JMPD.

Edited by ZeroShadow

JMPD I'm with you we have to have more hope in each other, If each person just did what they could in their own lives to contribute to a peaceful world it would make a difference, It would contribute to the whole when we wait around for the other guy to change it'll never happen, but each person can do something peaceful. This unwillingness to be responsible for our world and this I can''t do anything until Tom down the street does, is nothing more than saying I don't care, similar to those that are waiting for the second coming of Christ before they participate in life Hello, DENIAL!!!! anyone can be the first domino you don't need your neighbor to go first. Namaste Sheri

Be THE CHANGE YOU WISH TO SEE GHANDI I BELEIVE SAID THAT, INSTEAD OF LOOKING FOR THE RIGHT MATE BE THE RIGHT MATE, I DON'T KNOW WHO SAID THAT BUT AT SOME POINT WE HAVE TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR CHOICES WE HAVE TO MATURE, AS A HUMANITY..

Edited by Sheri berri

As long as people see differences between themselves and others, there will always be conflict.

I said I'm not sure. World peace could work in theory, but then again so could communism. :hmm:

Thank you Sherri. That is the point I've been trying to make.

If you say "this can't be done", and then do nothing, then you are correct.

BUT.....

If you say "this CAN be done" and go out and try to change things, then you can.

Also, remember that conflict does not mean "no-peace". Conflict, or opposing ideas can lead to greater things.

By your reckoning, all you naysayers, if the Wright brothers had listened to there contemporaries, we wouldn't have flight, or space flight today.

Sometimes, you NEED an opposing viewpoint to create change.

As long as people see differences between themselves and others, there will always be conflict.

I said I'm not sure. World peace could work in theory, but then again so could communism. :hmm:

EVERY THING BEGINS AS A THEORY, IDEA BELEIF CONSTRUCT WHATEVER, YOU HAVE TO FIRST DECIDE IF YOU EVEN GIVE A sh** !!!AND THEN YOU HAVE TO DECIDE IF YOU BELIEVE IN PEACE ???THEN ACT PEACEFUL, WHERE YOU CAN. iMAGINE IF EVERYONE DID THAT DO YOU THINK WE WOULD HAVE PEACE WHY DO WE NEED TO BE TOLD TO DO THINGS? OR WAIT FOR SOMEONE OF AUTHORITY, TO INSTRUCT US? YOU LIVE IN THIS WORLD HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT TO BE???NAMASTE SHERI

Edited by Sheri berri