Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World Peace

ShaunZero

World Peace  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Can humans obtain world peace with no outside help?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I'm not sure.

Its sad really, that so many have such little faith in their own species.

Perhaps all you naysayers are right, and the best thing we can do is eliminate ourselves from the cosmos in the most efficient way possible.

Yep, people won't change, I may as well just start killing people indiscriminately, what difference does it make? We won't change.

So I guess its better to throw our hands in the air, then pray that god will fix things? No thanks.

I believe I said world peace is a pipe-dream. I never said we should give up and stop trying. If world peace were possible, I'd be the first to celebrate. I will also do my best to live my life in a manner that others can benefit from.

I just do not think we as a species are capable of this. We all agree (well, most of us would) that drugs are wrong, and should be eradicated. But there are those who make their living preying on the addiction of others and profit on their weakness. How can peace be obtained with people like this still around?

How can there be world peace when people are constantly looking out for themselves and searching for the almighty dollar, and not their fellow man?

How can therer be world peace when there are people that still believe in white supremacy, or black supremacy, or yellow supremacy, or whatever they are compared to what everyone else is not.

Again, I say peace is a pipe-dream. One I will strive for. But one we will never reach.

Regards, PA

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShaunZero

• Paranoid Android

• Jodie.Lynne

• Sherapy

I believe I said world peace is a pipe-dream. I never said we should give up and stop trying. If world peace were possible, I'd be the first to celebrate. I will also do my best to live my life in a manner that others can benefit from.

I just do not think we as a species are capable of this. We all agree (well, most of us would) that drugs are wrong, and should be eradicated. But there are those who make their living preying on the addiction of others and profit on their weakness. How can peace be obtained with people like this still around?

How can there be world peace when people are constantly looking out for themselves and searching for the almighty dollar, and not their fellow man?

How can therer be world peace when there are people that still believe in white supremacy, or black supremacy, or yellow supremacy, or whatever they are compared to what everyone else is not.

Again, I say peace is a pipe-dream. One I will strive for. But one we will never reach.

Regards, PA

PA you do not need others to be a certain way or "eradicated" to first set up the optimum circumstances before you can do anything, you have to first think it is a good idea, A hopeless negative outlook an attitude of failure may be a determent," There are those that look out and say Why? there are those that look out and say why not!!!! Which one are you?? Shakespeare said" to be or not to be that is the only question," anyone can make a difference and doesn't that includes you. :D:innocent: Namaste Sheri

how can there be peace with people like that still around

sounds like the trumpeting sound for what we now call a crusade..... :unsure:

You keep bringing up drug dealers and gang bangers. I'm not sure how they relate to world peace, but the way to stop them is to make it very unprofitable for them to do business.

Yeah, I really want to know why he keeps bringing that up :hmm: .

And how do drug dealers stop world peace? Drugs can make you do bad things, hurts people, makes them become addicted, ruins their lives,

Humm you do know that people who buy drugs WANT drugs. You cant force someone to buy/ use drugs. And if you want to alter your mind state enuff you will find a way to do so with or with out drugs. Thats like blaming the guy who sold somebody a gun for that person killing them self, or blaming fast food places for all the obeast(sp?) people in the U.S. Its like saying "Im a fat drug addict because the dealer and BK made me buy this stuff, I never personaly wanted to take this stuff into my body :mellow: ".

For that matter why not blame people how sale beer/ guns/weapons/ smokes for all the bad things that happen because of those things.

And gang violance mostly comes from the mislead young who ,at that point in their life, seem to think doing this stuff is cool. To be truful gangs were started as a home for those with out one. This gave them a feeling of being in a family, having people there for you when your down or having someone to look out for you and keep you self on the streets. As you can see it took a really bad turn somewere down the road but I wont bore you with that.

I was serprized that you picked gangs out of all the others things that come to mind when I think of large groups that aim for violance toward EVERYONE. The KKK seems like a much better example because they hate/ want to kill anyone whos not white...but hey, that just me :no::mellow: .

But back on topic. I dont think there well every be "peace" on eath...but I really dont know what "peace" means in this topic.

Do you mean "peace" as in no conflict between 2 things on earth...yes, when every living thing on earth that can cause conflict dieds...but that wouldnt be very fun would it :( ?

"Peace" as in no wars period. Yes, only if everything is controled by one(or 2) government. As long as theres different governments some will feel like their getting the short end of the stick and get mad enuff to start a war to even the playing field.

"Peace" as in no more crims. No, because there will always be dum As that want to cause hurm to others in some form or someone who wants to get that "one easy dollar" by stilling. I do think that crim would go down ALOT if there were no money but it wont go away.

But this is just my 1:17am thoughts so I cant get that deep in this post. But thats a nice idle of what I real want to put down :tu::sleepy:

sounds like the trumpeting sound for what we now call a crusade..... :unsure:

Or what we now call Christainty :geek:

Edited by Sheri berri

1) I never said I'd do nothing. I said we can make this world a better place and should.

2) Even though we make it a better place, you'll never change the entire world.

Why do I bring up drug dealers and gangbangers? LOL! I wonder what they do. Hurt other people... Nooo, that can't be. I'm using them as an example to show that some people obviously don't care if they hurt others.

Edited by ZeroShadow

Okay if most people agree with the equal balance of life (hot/cold - good/evil) then one will come to realize that peace will never happen...for every good person, there is an "evil" person- for every kind person theres a mean person, for every generous person theres a selfish person....Peace is nothing but a dream for humanity. :no:

So far the pole is 16 for no and 5 for yes. And don't forget about 2 for I don't know. =)

I think most of us are seeing reality and not some dream.

PA you do not need others to be a certain way or "eradicated" to first set up the optimum circumstances before you can do anything, you have to first think it is a good idea, A hopeless negative outlook an attitude of failure may be a determent," There are those that look out and say Why? there are those that look out and say why not!!!! Which one are you?? Shakespeare said" to be or not to be that is the only question," anyone can make a difference and doesn't that includes you. :D:innocent: Namaste Sheri

Geez Sheri *scrubs hand through hair* I said I try my absolute best to make life the best it can be for those around me, whether I know them or not. I will not simply not try, like what JMPD is suggesting. But it is also my belief that on a worldwide scale, there is just too much selfishness for there to ever be true peace.

Feel free to disagree though......

Regards, PA

So far the pole is 16 for no and 5 for yes. And don't forget about 2 for I don't know. =)

I think most of us are seeing reality and not some dream.

A very famous and great man once said

"I have a dream....."

He was, unfortunately, killed by frightened little men but that does not invalidate his dream.

You claim your pessemistic viewpoint as 'reality'. If that is so, then you are 100% correct, and even if you try to 'do something', it won't matter.

I choice a more optomistic view point that all people can live together in peace. As I have said before, it may not be in my lifetime, but each day gives us and our descendants the chance to make it a reality.

good journey

Edited by JMPD1

If I'm 100% correct, then that means everything I said is true, therefore we can make this world a better place. So this

and even if you try to 'do something', it won't matter.

Now crumbles.

I said 3 times (Why do I ALWAYS have to repeat myself), that we need to try and make this world a better place but we'll never reach world peace.

Edited by ZeroShadow

H-a-t-e: it was with this hand (left) that Cain iced his brother.

L-o-v-e: these five fingers go right to the soul of man. The right hand.

The story of life is this: Static (fingers meshed together, but trying to pull apart and dominate the other).

One hand is always fighting the other hand.

The Enemy. One’s enemy. Enemy nation. Entire nation against the Other entire nation (“Us Against Them”). One people exulting and exploiting the suffering institutionalized on another (Our History). The enemy becomes abstract (“Them” are no longer people). The relationship becomes abstract (Just another culture we’ve homogenized, absorbed in to our’s). The nation the enemy the name becomes larger than its own identity. Larger than its own measure. Larger than its own properties. Larger than its own signification (“Progress” or the Future--which is really not only the Future but that of all-recorded Time--means Globalization, American Capitalization, and Commodification).

For the people who is/are their enemy/enemies. For the people who is their ruler’s subject and their ruler’s victory.

Unfathomable the words, the terminology: enemy, atrocities, conquest, betrayal, invasion, destruction (The Victim or the Crime?). Why resurrect it all now. From the Past. History, the old wound; the past emotions all over again--still festering and oozing that ooze seemingly invisible yet visible through its simulation if you only take notice. To confess to relive the same folly (It is sadly just a folly, isn’t it?). To name it now so as not to repeat History in oblivion (But we can’t stop it, can we?). To extract each fragment by each fragment from the Word from the Image another word another image the reply that will not repeat History in oblivion (Is it true? Can we actually do that?).

Face to face with the memory, it misses. It’s missing. Still. What of Time. Does not move. Remains there. Misses nothing. Time, that is. All else. All Things else. All Other, subject to Time. Must answer to Time, except. Still born. Aborted. Barely. Infant. Seed. Germ. Sprout. Dormant. Stagnant. Missing.

Every moment of every day our minds are bombarded with words and thoughts and images that enter into our constant ongoing self and other-self inner conversation, that not-so-silent interior discussion assessing and evaluating all things surrounding us, affecting us, resulting in a greater awareness in some form or fashion. Our inherent desire for awareness comes from a greater desire to control one’s life or to have some semblance of feeling in control of our lives, to gain a satisfactory sense of stability and security. We cling to ideas that appeal to our conceptions of what is the better good for one’s self and family, one’s community, and for the entire population of the planet. Or do we?

Seems that we are a blighted society after all. Seems we have alienated and isolated ourselves so distantly from true nature of things that we live by the power of manipulative suggestions, misinformed thoughts, simulated experiences, perverted images, and deliberate campaigns of demented rhetoric. Seems our perceptions of things has gone awry when compared to the reality and truth. Seems we believe society saves us from corruption, yet it is a corrupt society that forms the lens through which we make value judgments. Seems we think the truth should be communicated, yet communication of the essential is controlled by those with the means to supply information. Seems we’ve become hypocritical automatons, believing what we think is the truth because someone persuasive enough has taken advantage of our obliviousness, when if we were to use our critical skills, methodically, logically, and intellectually, we would be as intelligent as we falsely believe we are.

They said Joy To The World. They said Ode To Joy. They said All You Need Is Love. They said Love Will Keep Us Together. They said those things. I heard them when they said so. But I don’t see it. I see hate and I see greed and I see apathy and I see despair and separation, and I see sadness. Seems that The Story Of Life is the pursuit of Death, the success of Death. Let’s park here and take a real good look at *things* as they have always been, as they are now, and as they will likely be. Seems we’ve never gotten to the “Civil” part of Civilization. 10,000 years of recorded history. Some great story, History--that is. Seems we’ve been nothing more than conquerors, conquerors with only brute force--nothing to boast of since that strength is just an accident arising from the weakness of Others: grabbing what could be grabbed for the sake of being able to do so, from those with a different complexion, flatter noses, ideas of their own, and f-ck the consequences. Violent robbery, aggravated murder on a global scale, by blind men who led, lead (and will continue to lead) us deeper into darkness. Some great story: the fascination of abomination. I wonder if Lucy--when she stood up on both feet and peered about the Great Rift Valley--thought that those first steps would be towards Lies, Horror, and Death.

Edited by mklsgl

Geez Sheri *scrubs hand through hair* I said I try my absolute best to make life the best it can be for those around me, whether I know them or not. I will not simply not try, like what JMPD is suggesting. But it is also my belief that on a worldwide scale, there is just too much selfishness for there to ever be true peace.

Feel free to disagree though......

Regards, PA

If every great leader thought like that we wouldn't have any thing beneficial, PA your just saying You don't care or you are powerless in another way, anyone can make a difference Anyone why not you??? I have asked two times now, whats keeping you from adding to the peace dream??? Namste Sheri

1) I never said I'd do nothing. I said we can make this world a better place and should.

2) Even though we make it a better place, you'll never change the entire world.

Why do I bring up drug dealers and gangbangers? LOL! I wonder what they do. Hurt other people... Nooo, that can't be. I'm using them as an example to show that some people obviously don't care if they hurt others.

Are you aiming that last statment at me :huh:??? If so I would like to know if you read my whole post before I say something :mellow: . And if you have then read it closer.

If I'm 100% correct, then that means everything I said is true, therefore we can make this world a better place. So this

Now crumbles.

I said 3 times (Why do I ALWAYS have to repeat myself), that we need to try and make this world a better place but we'll never reach world peace.

Let me see if I can make myself a little clearer.

When you say "we'll never reach world peace", you are already creating a negative emotional response. By doing so, even your best effort to effect change is tainted, because you "know" that it won't make a difference. You are sabotaging your own efforts before you've even begun.

But, when someone says "We can achieve world peace, one step at a time", they are creating a positive emotional response. In doing so, they know that, while it may not be 'the' result they had hoped for, the world will still be in a better position, further along the road to peace.

In any undertaking we may set for ourselves, if you tell youself the you 'cannot' do something, then you are probably right. But if you tell yourself you "can" do something, then you are definately right.

And, as to your preoccupation with dealers: they are in business to make money, right? well, if you teach their customer base that drugs aren't the way to go, then the dealers go out of business, right? Just like any business- if the customers aren't there, then the business folds.

As for gangbangers, you need to teach these kids that fighting over a scrap of colored rag, or a few blocks of 'turf', is pointless. They must be shown that they are part of a larger community, and that they have worth to society. Society, in turn, must show the youths that IT has value and meaning to them.

(PLO: "whats wrong with war exactly?")

- "The only way to win a war is to prevent it"

- "Suppose you go to war, you cannot fight always; and when, after much loss on both sides, and no gain on either, you cease fighting, the identical old questions are again upon you." (Lincoln).

-"The chief tragedy of the human race is that the war approaching always seems neccessary and 'inevitable'; yet it os only 20 years later that it is seem as avoidable and futile. Is the mind perpetually condemned to live two steps behind the passions?" [Harris].

- "War causes us to see that we value property and/or beliefs more than we value human life" [me].

Let me see if I can make myself a little clearer.

When you say "we'll never reach world peace", you are already creating a negative emotional response. By doing so, even your best effort to effect change is tainted, because you "know" that it won't make a difference. You are sabotaging your own efforts before you've even begun.

But, when someone says "We can achieve world peace, one step at a time", they are creating a positive emotional response. In doing so, they know that, while it may not be 'the' result they had hoped for, the world will still be in a better position, further along the road to peace.

In any undertaking we may set for ourselves, if you tell youself the you 'cannot' do something, then you are probably right. But if you tell yourself you "can" do something, then you are definately right.

And, as to your preoccupation with dealers: they are in business to make money, right? well, if you teach their customer base that drugs aren't the way to go, then the dealers go out of business, right? Just like any business- if the customers aren't there, then the business folds.

t

As for gangbangers, you need to teach these kids that fighting over a scrap of colored rag, or a few blocks of 'turf', is pointless. They must be shown that they are part of a larger community, and that they have worth to society. Society, in turn, must show the youths that IT has value and meaning to them.

:D:tu::D very well put JMPD namaste Sheri

Not even close. Let me make myself clear, I beleive I can make the world a better place, we all can, but I know not everyone wants to, and not all want to try had enough. So, no it does not stop me from trying to make it a better place. I just know we can't obtain full world peace.

Using your logic this is valid:

By saying "We can make this world a better place", I'm creating a positive emotional response therefore making it more likley to happen.

So this

, even your best effort to effect change is tainted

Is false.

Saying "We can make this world a better place"(Wich I'm saying ), and saying "We can obtain world peace" will both result in the same thing. So I just say we can make it a better place but not obtain world peace. Just because you wish for something doesn't mean it's going to happen. I understand and respect that you wish for world peace, so do I, but it's not going to happen.

Edited by ZeroShadow

Zero LOL you don't wish for world peace , re read JMPD's post , Maybe JM can help you with ideas on how to make changes in your own life , you don't have to go out of your way to make change, its accumulative over time just be peaceful when you think of it . namaste Sheri

If there was one culture and one religion then yes. But this will never happen. :no:

Put 10 people of the same race, the same culture, and the same exact religion on a desert island, and withing not much more than a day, if that, there would be at least 3 different political factions, soon followed by several separate cults of the mother religion. :blink:

Zero LOL you don't wish for world peace , re read JMPD's post , Maybe JM can help you with ideas on how to make changes in your own life , you don't have to go out of your way to make change, its accumulative over time just be peaceful when you think of it . namaste Sheri

LOL.... You don't even read my posts.

Do you ever question your beleifs?

[b]And, as to your preoccupation with dealers: they are in business to make money, right? well, if you teach their customer base that drugs aren't the way to go, then the dealers go out of business, right? Just like any business- if the customers aren't there, then the business folds.

As for gangbangers, you need to teach these kids that fighting over a scrap of colored rag, or a few blocks of 'turf', is pointless. They must be shown that they are part of a larger community, and that they have worth to society. Society, in turn, must show the youths that IT has value and meaning to them.[/b]

Good post JM :tu:. Couldnt have said it better myself. Gangbangers are gangbangers for different resons, one being that society has turn their back to them. This results in them having littel respect for their community or society as a whole.

Also, dealers ARE NOT the reson addicts are addicts and their families are in pain and so-and-so....ADDICTS are the reson their addicts and that their putting their loved ones throw so much pain. If you dont want drugs, guess what, your not going to buy them. There will always be dealers as long as they have people who want what their giving. Just like there will always be beer/ guns/ and what ever as long as there people that want it. So you should look at the ones who are buying drugs and not the ones saling them if you want to stop it.

JM. I agreed with your whole post. I just wanted to add a littel in my words...I still cant see how he thinks these things work out :hmm: or why he thinks gangs are a better example of voilance that holds back peace then an oganization which only wants their race to live and hates all others :huh: .

But thats just me I guessB)

If every great leader thought like that we wouldn't have any thing beneficial, PA your just saying You don't care or you are powerless in another way, anyone can make a difference Anyone why not you??? I have asked two times now, whats keeping you from adding to the peace dream??? Namste Sheri

Are you purposely not understanding what I'm saying? Let me repeat part of my last post, just in case you missed it the first time.

I will also do my best to live my life in a manner that others can benefit from......Again, I say peace is a pipe-dream. One I will strive for. But one we will never reach.

I am adding to the peace dream. I just believe it is a pipe-dream. I WILL do the best I can to get the world to this state. BUt I believe there are too many who won't.