Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World Peace

ShaunZero

World Peace  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Can humans obtain world peace with no outside help?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I'm not sure.

Let me see if I can make myself a little clearer.

When you say "we'll never reach world peace", you are already creating a negative emotional response. By doing so, even your best effort to effect change is tainted, because you "know" that it won't make a difference. You are sabotaging your own efforts before you've even begun.

But, when someone says "We can achieve world peace, one step at a time", they are creating a positive emotional response. In doing so, they know that, while it may not be 'the' result they had hoped for, the world will still be in a better position, further along the road to peace.

In any undertaking we may set for ourselves, if you tell youself the you 'cannot' do something, then you are probably right. But if you tell yourself you "can" do something, then you are definately right.

And, as to your preoccupation with dealers: they are in business to make money, right? well, if you teach their customer base that drugs aren't the way to go, then the dealers go out of business, right? Just like any business- if the customers aren't there, then the business folds.

As for gangbangers, you need to teach these kids that fighting over a scrap of colored rag, or a few blocks of 'turf', is pointless. They must be shown that they are part of a larger community, and that they have worth to society. Society, in turn, must show the youths that IT has value and meaning to them.

ANd the businessman who is searching for more money, not caring who he or she steps on to reach their goal.

Or the politician who uses tax-payer money to go on holidays, sorry, I mean Study tours to Hawaii.

I can use more examples, but the point is clear (I hope). I will do my part. But thousand will not. And as long as people remain selfish, this will not change.

Regards, PA

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShaunZero

• Paranoid Android

• Jodie.Lynne

• Sherapy

Not even close. Let me make myself clear, I beleive I can make the world a better place, we all can, but I know not everyone wants to, and not all want to try had enough. So, no it does not stop me from trying to make it a better place. I just know we can't obtain full world peace.

Using your logic this is valid:

By saying "We can make this world a better place", I'm creating a positive emotional response therefore making it more likley to happen.

So this

Is false.

Saying "We can make this world a better place"(Wich I'm saying ), and saying "We can obtain world peace" will both result in the same thing. So I just say we can make it a better place but not obtain world peace. Just because you wish for something doesn't mean it's going to happen. I understand and respect that you wish for world peace, so do I, but it's not going to happen.

your choice.

good journey

I have faith in Humanity . . although it's a long shot, I believe that world peace can be accomplished. Gotta have Faith!!

World peace? There is a better chance of god being real... There never has been and never will be such a thing as world peace. Why? Because that is just human nature. There will always be a lot of human beings who will try to benefit from others misfortune, who will live on other people's expense. That's the way it has always been, always will be. The only way "world peace" can exist is when there is only a few of us and we are spread across the planet so we wont ever meet eachother, which is very unlikely... Even if the population of the homo sapiens was a few hundred thousand there was conflict between them. Even in small groups people don't get a long... What do you expect if there is billions of us and the number is rapidly increasing?

I'll let you guys argue this one for now. What I mean by world peace is a place where everyone is safe, where there is little to no violence, everyone can live in harmony and live in freedom and nations get along. No war, that sort of thing.

Peace and every word you say can be percieved differently. Absolutes are like perfection, and world peace as you describe would be an absolute. Since absolutes do not exist, nor does perfection, it is impossible. Utopia is also percieved, so it is therefore impossible for multiple people to have absolutely the same utopia or peace.

We can always strive towards perfection, though. We can improve the world far beyond the sad state it is in today, politically and mentally. We can never achieve true peace but we can always come close and atleast be happy with less foolishness than today.

I'll let you guys argue this one for now. What I mean by world peace is a place where everyone is safe, where there is little to no violence, everyone can live in harmony and live in freedom and nations get along. No war, that sort of thing.

Ok I am not well educated but I have some ideas for this world. We (the world) need to unite and modernize every continent. The continents could eliminate other countries and turn them all into sates or providences. Make Africa and the Middle East more like us (United States) they do not need to be just like us but they need to become modern. The other countries need to be self sufficient and be able to support themselves. Having 3rd world countries in today’s society is just pathetic. It really reflects how barbaric we really are. People need to just think about things. War is wrong, killing is not right; famine should not be taking place. Those are other human beings. Now I know Muslim extremists are going to be against this but if needed the world needs to unite and take down the Muslims who are against change, we should inform all Muslims about what is going to take place and for all who are peaceful they should go somewhere (I do not know where yet). I know not all Muslims are bad, I do not fall into that stereotype name calling crowd, most all people are good and they should be treated like one of us, but if the hardcore Muslims can not except than they can prepare for war. Then take away all the money that rich Muslims have and get off fossil fuels (beside we will run out eventually why not start now). Or better yet get off fossil fuels before the war takes place to make sure that the Muslim countries do not get our money. This world and everyone in it needs to think about what we are really doing. It’s not right and it should be frowned upon. No one else is going to change the mistakes that are going on in the world so we need to fix it ourselves. Please I am asking you (every person of every religion, of every race, culture, ethnic group and so on and so forth) we need to become one and stop the atrocities that are taking place on the wonderful Mother Earth. If the United States government is listening to this, you need to start this whole process out because there is no other country out there that has the courage to start such a major event. As human beings we must unite to change the world that we live in. The way we are living is going to catch up with us anyway. Stop passing it on to the next generation of children to make it their problem, why not start today and make the changes ourselves. I may be ranting and raving but if you sit and realize what I am saying you will know that it is the undeniable truth. The people of this world can not possibly keep this up or the world will take a crap on us all. Come on, just sit and think about it. Think HARD. PLEASE. Listen to my words. Its the truth and you all know it so lets change the world.

I have been reading many articles on these forums and I can see there are some very smart people out there. Please comment and tell me what you think. Maybe we can change what generations before us have almost ruined. We must change the world or we are doomed.

Humm, baughn, you have ALOT of wrongs in your statement as in. Heres a few...

Make Africa and the Middle East more like us (United States) they do not need to be just like us but they need to become modern

Humm, sorry if you dont know but they ARE modern ( Yeah, guess its hard to believe Africa is not full of naked black people with pointy sticks and that The Mid-East has more then just sand and covered up women :blink: . I dont know why people believe everything they see on T.V). In fact the U.S. should try to be more like Japan (in some ways) if you want to talk about being modern.

Now I know Muslim extremists are going to be against this but if needed the world needs to unite and take down the Muslims who are against change, we should inform all Muslims about what is going to take place and for all who are peaceful they should go somewhere (I do not know where yet).

Thats just wrong (for more resons then what Im about to state). You do know that the U.S. has MANY people/ places and nations that dont like America. Like China for one.

There are also sooo many other people IN America that hold back the peace we are looking for (Why am I the only one that seems to think about the KKK here...maybe its because Im black and I have learned alot about them and what they have/ are doing to my people :mellow:<_< )

If the United States government is listening to this, you need to start this whole process out because there is no other country out there that has the courage to start such a major event. As human beings we must unite to change the world that we live in.

For one humen kind has already changed the world as it was...they are just too greeded, power hungy and big headed to see that they are missing up this planet and putting the world deeper and deeper in the whole. <_<

Also, you should know that alot of other nations and countries have already started to try to help out the planet by finding ways to cut down polution,violance and other problems whele the U.S. becomes the leading nation in polution and so-and-so. :huh:

Point is you should have a clean plate before telling others to clean theirs. Fight the problams facing your home before fighting the problams of others B) .

You seem like your heart is in the right places but you informations a littel jagged :tu: .

Baughn... You have no clue at all what is going on in the world and you write a big post telling what people should do. Brainwashed by the TV, believing everything american television says you have created an illusion that America is a nearly perfect place and that if other countries and people would be more like americans then the world would be a better place. And you said that America should start uniting the world and making it better etc... America is one of the the last countries who will do this, for the good reasons atleast...

First of all let's take the pollution problems. America makes, buys and uses more fuel than any other country. America is more "addicted" to fuel than any other country and it is very unlikely that America will seriously change anything on it's own country before all the fossil fuels are depleted, yet alone help the rest of the world do that...

Now let's take violence... Now this may come as a shock to you, but America is really not "spreading democracy" in the middle-east. There never was a nuclear threat in Iraq. Though there was and still is lots of oil in Iraq. The "proof" of nuclear weapons in Iraq were made up, even you should know that already. What does that tell you? That America is really not as nice and righteous as it claims to be. Now you also said that the muslim extremists would probably be against uniting the world and especially all of us getting along... As I understood by reading your post you think that they are just some bad people who want to just bring chaos to the world and fight peace etc... You truly have no idea who they are and why they are doing the things they are. They are not organising terrorist acts just to make the world a bad place or because they don't want world peace etc. They see you, America, as their enemy and since they don't have the sufficient manpower, weaponry and technology they have to use terrorist acts to fight back... They are not killing civilians because they want to, they just see it as their only way to fight back.

There were some things in your post that were true though... You sure are not an educated man and a lot of people (especially you) should TRULY sit down and think about what is going on in the world. And a little tip for you. Before making any decicions why don't you just listen both sides, not just the propaganda you see in American television every day. Why don't you find out what the other side has to say about things before making any decicions... You see America through cute pink glasses, only noticing the good things and your only means of information is Fox TV and garbage like that. Don't believe all you see and hear, use your brain from time to time, if possible...

Baughn... You have no clue at all what is going on in the world and you write a big post telling what people should do. Brainwashed by the TV, believing everything american television says you have created an illusion that America is a nearly perfect place and that if other countries and people would be more like americans then the world would be a better place.......

.....Before making any decicions why don't you just listen both sides, not just the propaganda you see in American television every day. Why don't you find out what the other side has to say about things before making any decicions... You see America through cute pink glasses, only noticing the good things and your only means of information is Fox TV and garbage like that. Don't believe all you see and hear, use your brain from time to time, if possible...

Exactly.

Edited by Paranoid Android

(I'm really not writing this as flame bait, I mean my comments here as constructive criticism only, maybe a wake-up call. Please bare that in mind.) :wub:

I'm kinda shocked and appalled at the theists around here who voted for no peace (not to mention the monotheists who, when the chips are down, can see nothing better for us than a manichean stalemate). What good is God if the world is doomed to constant wars and oppression? What good is your "one true way" if it doesn't bring the world closer and closer to the light? Did God so love the world, or just your tiny part of it? Are you, yourselves, really so factious that you can't envision the world ever healing?

Of course human beings can find peace! Violence and abuse are learned behaviors. Individuals across cultures, across the world heal from their destructive lifestyles every dang day!

No one commits an act of violence when they can see their intended victim as a human being just like themselves. All violence is the result of desensatization, usually as the result of having been the victim of violence yourself. The vast, vast majority of people in prison were abused as children. Nearly all perpetrators of child sexual abuse were themselves abused. But even in the depths of our rage and hate, if we realize that our next victim is another human being, we can forebear--that's human nature: no matter how grim our life gets we have free will and the right choice is there waiting for us! More and more people are breaking these cycles every day. And that kind of healing spreads. The world is becoming more available to the light all the time. Is it so hard to see history as a long (albeit snail-slow from our human vantage point) walk out of darkness?

Just say yes to peace! :tsu:

Saying 'yes' to peace, and having peace are completely separate.

As I've said, peace is a dream. A great dream to aspire to, to strive for. Yet it is only a pipe-dream. Let's not kid ourselves here folks. Until people start to look out for others and not just themselves, we will not have peace.

While we still have a society where people are willing to thrive off the weakness of others, there WILL NOT BE PEACE!

Yes, I know. Teach these people a better way. If you can see a way how, then do it. As long as there are bookies willing to lend someone 10 grand and then break their legs when they lose and can't pay up, there will not be peace. As long as there are drug dealers willing to kill to keep their money flow going, there will not be peace. As long as the corporate world finds stepping on those below them on the ladder of success, there will not be peace. As long as there are fundamentalist organizations preaching hate of any but themselves, there will not be peace.

Can you change the heart of an individual? No. You can only inform them. The heart is a selfish thing. It just isn't possible.

sorry for the long rant. as I said I will strive for this dream. Yet that is all it is, and all it will ever be - a dream.

Regards, PA

Yes, I know. Teach these people a better way...

Can you change the heart of an individual? No. You can only inform them. The heart is a selfish thing. It just isn't possible.

No, PA, I don't think you do know. You can't teach anything until the student wishes to learn. Did you even read my post? I ask because your latest rant is nearly identical to several of your previous outings on this thread.

"These people?" Do you even know any drug dealers? In my work, I see folks like this (and worse!) every day--getting clean, going back to their families and just plain learning from their mistakes. Nobody forces them to heal; healing is a natural part of living and it happens quite naturally. All you need to do is give people who need help a place to go and they will come. All you need to do is get out of the way and let nature take its course. Easier said than done, maybe, but it's happening.

Quit thinking that the only way the world can change is if you make it change. Nobody changed these folks hearts for them. Your feelings of powerlessness really don't matter, ultimately. Healing will happen inspite of you and your self-fullfilling prophecy of doom.

No, PA, I don't think you do know. You can't teach anything until the student wishes to learn. Did you even read my post? I ask because your latest rant is nearly identical to several of your previous outings on this thread.

"These people?" Do you even know any drug dealers? In my work, I see folks like this (and worse!) every day--getting clean, going back to their families and just plain learning from their mistakes. Nobody forces them to heal; healing is a natural part of living and it happens quite naturally. All you need to do is give people who need help a place to go and they will come. All you need to do is get out of the way and let nature take its course. Easier said than done, maybe, but it's happening.

Quit thinking that the only way the world can change is if you make it change. Nobody changed these folks hearts for them. Your feelings of powerlessness really don't matter, ultimately. Healing will happen inspite of you and your self-fullfilling prophecy of doom.

I was using gangsters and drug dealers as an example. They make money while hurting other peopel such as people who are addicted to the drugs. Some of these people do not want to change, and can not be convinced to change. And if you do they'll probably just pull out a glock and bust one in you. XD Beleive me, I know people like this. My uncle is a crack head. -_-

FAR more complicated than that friend. If peace is to be achieved, everyone will have to think basically exactly alike- and that is not going to happen. Peace happens with understanding and some people lack understanding. Drug dealers are just the tiniest minority of the problems faced with humanity. Ive said it before theres a balance on earth, and a balance on humanity, we all cannot be the same. Theres always going to be a nice person- then a mean person- a honest person- a decietful person- a giving person and a selfish person. So long as there is this even balance, it will never bring peace. So it all falls back down to good will....Not everyone qualifies. :no:

I did read your post HK, and I responded the same as i have because you basically said the same thing.

And yes HK, I do know drugdealers, and I know addicts. Yes, some that I know have stopped. Many still continue. They live in perpetual paranoia, jumping at a knock at the door, getting angry if they see someone they didn't expect.

And I have seen them fight tooth and nail to keep that lifestyle because it makes them a lot of money. And bugger the person who's life they're ruining. They only care about what they get out of it.

As I've said, give people options, but they are only options. You cannot force them to take those steps and there are many who would not take them willingly.

Regards, PA

HKCavalier. In your work you may see people who want to heal and be better, but if you really really try then you may realise that your work is not the rest of the world. There always has been, still is and always will be people who in their work see people who don't want to heal and change themselves, who don't care that they benefit form others suffering... And as long as there will be people like this, even if there is not much of them there never will be world peace... And every person with a little logical thinking can understand that there WILL always be people like that. It's time for you to leave from your imaginary world where all people one day will want to "heal" themselves and come back to reality. And I'm not against world peace myself, I'm not a pessimist, I'm just a realist and world peace is not real and never will be...

I did read your post HK, and I responded the same as i have because you basically said the same thing.

And yes HK, I do know drugdealers, and I know addicts. Yes, some that I know have stopped. Many still continue. They live in perpetual paranoia, jumping at a knock at the door, getting angry if they see someone they didn't expect.

And I have seen them fight tooth and nail to keep that lifestyle because it makes them a lot of money. And bugger the person who's life they're ruining. They only care about what they get out of it.

As I've said, give people options, but they are only options. You cannot force them to take those steps and there are many who would not take them willingly.

Regards, PA

Dealers only make about Mid-wage(could go up if they have alot of rant)...and how do addicts make money??? :huh:

I was using gangsters and drug dealers as an example. They make money while hurting other peopel such as people who are addicted to the drugs. Some of these people do not want to change, and can not be convinced to change. And if you do they'll probably just pull out a glock and bust one in you. XD Beleive me, I know people like this. My uncle is a crack head. -_-

...Gangsters dont make money by hurting others.And dealers just give drugs to people who want to get high...these people will get high nomatter what so you cant blame dealers for these peoples down falls.

Have you even read my post? THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE WHO DO THIS!!!Store owners sale beer...are they the reson way so many are addicted to that? Fast food places sale fatting foods at a fast rate...are they the reson so many are addicted to that crap??? NO! These are just people making money by giving people what they want.

I also want to know why all of you are so hung up on Dealers and gangsters...THE PROBLAMS OF THE WORLD GO MUCH MUCH MUCH MORE DEEPER THEN THAT!!!

But lets say they stop dealers and gang violance...we still have hate crimes,

crazy gun owners, Bush making laws so that people could go back to the old west days and use guns ON THE STREET when ever they feel indanger, drunk drivers, groups like the KKK, rapist, killers, bad cops, child malisters (SP?), pit bull fighters, racist/ racism, people who still from there companies, wars, power hungry governments, the media which seems to effect many with their wrong information and so-on...Oh, and dont forget those people who abuse/going to abuse store drugs because they cant get drugs from the dealers and those groups of friends that want to fight other groups of friends for the rights to the blocks the gangs used to have. :mellow:

LOOK DEEPER PEOPLE!!! :angry:

(Sorry for any misspells...had to go fast.)

Edited by RedX

Just to reframe the question and issue...

In the thousands of years of recorded history, has there ever been a significant time of world peace? As far as I know, the answer is no. So, then, what do we have to even foster faith that world peace is possible?

Dealers only make about Mid-wage(could go up if they have alot of rant)...and how do addicts make money??? :huh:

It depends. The small-time dealers perhaps, dealing with party drugs such as speed or ecstacy. They are the ones just trying to get by themselves and are themselves often users themselves. Of the dealers I know, most of this type stop selling at some point when they realise how detrimental it is to theirs, and other's health.

The suppliers and chemists who are the ones making real money, as well as those dealing in truly horrific drugs such as heroin. Of these I know, this type of dealer has gone beyond the small-time personal use/club dealer. They are the dealers that supply the dealers. And they make a hell of a lot of money, and will not relinquish that money.

And when I speak of making money, i meant the dealers, not the addicts. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Regards, PA

Edited by Paranoid Android

until xianity and islam fade away, there will be no peace.

^^^^Hmmm........ yep, that's about all I can say. Hmmm....

Yes, if there is one government and thought control instruments were put into place, including the complete obliteration of all, or all but one religions.

Yes, if there is one government and thought control instruments were put into place, including the complete obliteration of all, or all but one religions.

agreed...

I voted no.

There can never be world peace as long as there is:

1.One man thinks he is better and smarter than others and his ego feeds his Pride.

2.One man desires all that others have and Greed is his motive to achieve it.

3.One man who Envy’s the achievements and accomplishments of another.

4.One man who is driven by Anger and hatred toward his fellow man.

5.One man who Lusts after the daughter of another.

6.One man desire for more than his share of the pie and Gluttony is his satisfaction.

7.One man who cares not about all of the above, Sloth.

You may well recognize within these words the seven deadly sins of mankind. You have all heard it before! The truth is Peace can never be maintained until SIN is defeated.

War, Crime, Murder and Hatred are the rewards of sin.

And Death is the final paycheck!

But I’m still hopeful!

Irish