Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The escape from alcatraz

robsteth

According to amw next week there ae going o do some updates on this most baffling 1962 escape. Curiously what are they going to discuss. I tend to think they made it and went south , out of the country. Rumour has it they were spotted at a bar in brazil in the 1980's or so. Never verified, though. Does this subject belogn in this forum or a different forum here???

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeenuh

• Lord Umbarger

• fallingalien

• robsteth

Escape from Alcatraz? Yes, I did it, and I'd do it again! You know why? Cos' I didn't get a whippin!

Kacen, they made a movie about it in the mid-1970's. It was titled, (simply enough), "Escape From Alcatraz". I forget who played in it but, it was a watchable movie. I can't hink of anyone who calls it thier favorite. You should maybe rent it. It's where most of the myths about the place started.

There were actually several men who escaped from it, though no one knows if any of them survived. Cold water, dangerous currents, sharks, but, if some one were smart enough to get out of the building and down to the water then they might also be smart enough to get across the bay too!

Theres an American programme on cable over here, cant remember the name of it. Two special effects guys, who try and prove or disprove urban legends, ridiculous theories to old wives tales. Anyway, they actually achieved the escape by using the same materials, and staged it at the same time of day and same time of year, and staged it when the reported weather conditions were identical.

They said the theory was proved?

Jack LaLane swam from Alcatraz Island to the mainland with handcuffs on. I figure if he could do that, the group led by Frank Morris in 1962 could have done it as well. The problem is that everyone wants to believe that they made it and so more logical studies about the escape have been dismissed. Personally, I want to believe they escaped successfully, too, and that they are still sipping margaritas south of the border.

Oh! this reminds me of a mafia movie. except they shoot the guy swimming to the boat in the head. I forgot what movie, hrrm.

I believe it could have happened.

its not that hard to swim with your hands close together, just do kind of a butterfly stroke thing.

Theres an American programme on cable over here, cant remember the name of it. Two special effects guys, who try and prove or disprove urban legends, ridiculous theories to old wives tales. Anyway, they actually achieved the escape by using the same materials, and staged it at the same time of day and same time of year, and staged it when the reported weather conditions were identical.

They said the theory was proved?

Mythbusters! :yes: They proved it could be done, quite conclusively.

Welsh Shaun: I think the show you're refering to is "Mythbusters". If that was an episode, I missed it but would've liked to see it.

I'm sure it could've been done. If they survived the escape the real mystery is where are they now? I'd sure like to get an E-mail from one of them. I'm certain that the statute of limitations would have expired by now. H*ll, they'd all have to be pretty old anyway. SInce thy're almost folk heros at this time I doubt that they'd go back to prison if they are found.

no one has EVER escaped from Alkatraz. There have been 13 escape attempts, and the furthest someone got was someone on kitchen duty, ripped off the bars on the window and floated to san fransisco. He was found in hospital, being treated for hypothermia.

Go to http://www.alcatrazhistory.com/mainpg.htm for more info of escape attempts and famous in-mates (i.e. Robert Stroud A.K.A Birdman of alkatraz, Al Capone, 'Machine gun' kelly)

That's a cool site, I read most of it and I'll finish reading it later. It's interesting.

I watched that on AMW on last Saturday it was interesting.