Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Computer Virus Clogs E-Mail Inboxes

schadeaux

By RIVA RICHMOND

The Associated Press

Tuesday, August 19, 2003; 5:09 PM

NEW YORK - A new strain of one of the most virulent e-mail viruses ever spread quickly worldwide Tuesday morning, causing fresh annoyance to users worn out by last week's outbreak of the Blaster worm.

The new virus, named "Sobig.F" by computer security companies, attacks Windows users via e-mail and file-sharing networks. It also deposits a Trojan horse, or hacker back door, that can be used to turn victims' PCs into senders of spam e-mail.

MessageLabs Inc., a company that filters e-mail for corporations, had blocked more than 100,000 copies of Sobig.F by midday Tuesday, making it by far the most active virus of the day.

user posted image View: Full Article | Source: Washington Post

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• schadeaux

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Schadeaux,

I received over 25 infected e-mails this morning with this virus in them, I'd recommend everyone to make sure you keep your anti-virus software's virus definition up to date, and scan both your computer and incoming mail for signs of this new virus.

A large number of PC's are infected with this thing, so it's always a good idea to make sure that yours isn't one of them.

Note that this virus comes in the form of a .pif file attachment, in E-Mail messages with any of the following titles :

Re: That movie

Re: Wicked screensaver

Re: Your application

Re: Approved

Re: Re: My details

Re: Details

Your details

Thank you!

If you receive one of these with a file attachment, delete it immediately, and do not execute the attachment whatever you do.

Just an update on this, the title of this thread is quite accurate, every time I check my E-Mail today I receive 10-15 more of these dam things.

This is becoming a severe problem.

sad.gif

Very severe. Our exchange server at work has been pretty much shut down since yesterday morning. Word is we MAY get it back by sometime Friday. Hope they mean this week. sad.gif

It's been a good few days now since all this started, and I seem to be getting more of these e-mails now than I did before. This morning 85 of them were waiting for me in my inbox.

I hope this continuous 'bombardment' dies down soon.

dontgetit.gif