Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Is Jesus And Christianity So Hated?

Jesusfan

I will answer the whole Zeus question. Isn't he just a greek god and just a myth?

He's just as much of a myth as Jesus.

I mean stories of him and the other greek gods and goddesses are just stories to entertain.

No... they were very much the religion in ancient Greece...

But the stories are usually said to be myth about the greek gods correct. Is there proof of their existance or of any god in that manner.

And thats where I find the hypocrisy. Why is greek mythology called a mythology, while its just as valid as any other religion? Its a dead religion, yes, but that doesnt mean its any less valid than christianity or islam or judaism or any other religion.

There is no historical evidence for Zues Stellar.

Theres as much as for Jesus.

BTW, are you aware that the greek gods are a result of "godification"? An ordinary person being braught up to the level of a god through exaggeration?

Unless you believe him, Artemis, Hera and Ares all actually fought alongside humans in the trojan war for the fun of it. Also believing that Zues turns himself into a cow and rapes people whenever he wanted. Also believing he lived ON earth on Mount Olympus, and since we all know that is not possible, no one believes in it.

First of all, its no more foolish than to believe theres some invisible guy sitting on some cloud watching over each and every one of us trying to make our lives good and worthwhile, yet has no power to stop suffering. Second of all, why is it not possible he lived on Mount Olympus? If he's a god, he's all powerful and can do anything, right?

The intruiging factor, is that the bible does tie in historical references. Things such as King Hezekiah, King David, King Solomon, the Babylonian wars, including the take over by the Roman army, and this is just a small bit.

Just as spiderman does, or pretty much any fictional tv show. Or, even better, the trojan war you mentionned...

Most religions can be proven to be false, such as Greek Mythology.

It cant be proven to be false any more than christianity.

Or at least they have no historical references, but the bible does.

The historical references in the bible dont prove the bible any more than those in spiderman prove spiderman.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 777MileStare

• seanph

• SilverCougar

• mako

Christianity is, since Jesus Christ is the Risen Lord and Saviour, so by definition of truth, since He alone qualifies as the Saviour.

No... you *believe* he is, which is just as valid as a member of another religion believing theirs is the only true one. Double standard.

I called it mythology because that is what it was called in school right. You learn that in school that it is fake right? I know that I either heard that or whatnot. It is like the story of Hercules. And goat men. The stories seemed far fetched to me. But probably as far fetched as the "burning bush" or the "parting of the Red Sea" But to the believer it is not far fetched. I am sure that greeks believed in this very much as I do in Abraham's God. (my God)

I think I said that christianity cannot be proven as much as zeus. But you only read the parts about me calling it a myth. Why?

and, should our current civilization fall, in a thousand years, archeologists may well classify our religions as mythology.............

Or worse, our mythology (superman, batman, etc) as our religions

Just wondering why so many peoples have taken it upon themselves to totally disregard the person of Jesus Of Nazareth, and His Church..

Simple question deserves a simple answer – Now that Christianity’s 1700 year monopoly on the Western World has been broken and it is no longer a capital crime to actually research the claims of Christianity, more and more people have seen how bogus it all is. How there is NO CONTEMPORARY EVIDENCE of a Jesus of Nazareth, nothing anywhere other that a very highly biased and suspect collection of documents that gives evidence of the validity of the God Jehovah/Yaweh/YHWH or that Jesus of Nazareth was his son. That the town of Nazareth did not actually exist until around 130 CE. That Bethlehem of Judea was only ruins at the time Jesus was supposedly born there. That the whole thing is no more than a copy of various older resurrected savior god religions. That is why we take it upon ourselves to totally disregard a person who probably never existed and an organization that has perpetrated more horror, bloodshed, evil, torment, and torture upon this world and for longer than any other organization in the history of humanity

It seems that we are employing a huge double standard here, as many tend to either not believe historical accounts of His life, both Biblical and other

There are no historical accounts of his life…None. We only have 4 “gospels”, written long generations after the supposed fact, that claim to tell the details of his life, but if all the incidents (including the obvious repeats from poor copying) were put together, they would cover a mere 8 weeks out of a life that was supposedly 32 years long! All other mentions of this Jesus are either known interpolations or so far after the fact that the information could only have been gotten by asking a Christian.

yet willingly to accept as "facts" virtually everyting recorded by other religious followers... Mohhammed/Buddah/etc life stories are all taken at face value

I can only speak for myself, but I do not accept the other religious founders as anything more than I accept Jesus of Nazareth – either Charlatans, less than what their followers claimed, or pure and simple mythological characters.

none of the claims made by/about jesus/Bible/Church are to be Even considered valid at all...

And with the dearth of valid evidence they shouldn’t be.

Guess that you would end up with either NO religion or its founder as being accurate and acceptable

I echo Seanp on this one – Oh that I would live to see the day!

There is no historical evidence for Zues Stellar

Nor is there any for Jehovah/Yahweh/YHWH

Unless you believe him, Artemis, Hera and Ares all actually fought alongside humans in the trojan war for the fun of it

Or unless you believe Jehovah actually fought alongside Israelites in the conquest of Canaan for the fun of it (Joshua 10:10-11)

Also believing that Zues turns himself into a cow and rapes people whenever he wanted.

Don’t see how that is much difference than speaking from a burning bush or from a whirlwind or impregnating a virgin through the holy spirit (which is supposed to be him anyway).

believing he lived ON earth on Mount Olympus

The Israelites believed that he dwelled in the Tabernacle, so what is the difference?

The intruiging factor, is that the bible does tie in historical references. Things such as King Hezekiah, King David, King Solomon, the Babylonian wars, including the take over by the Roman army, and this is just a small bit

King Lear, Julius Caesar, Tobacco Road, the Longest Day are all brim full of historical references, any good fiction writer will set their works against a historical background, if only to make them believable. The bibles historical references does nothing toward granting validity to it or the religion it supports. Incidentially, could you provide any real evidence that David and Solomon ever existed, there seems to be no secular evidence for them.

Most religions can be proven to be false, such as Greek Mythology

Actually no religion can be proven false, nor can a religion be disproved totally.

least they have no historical references, but the bible does

They have as many historical references as does the bible, you just aren’t familiar with their history. Greek Mythology brims with Bronze Age Greek historical references, Hinduism has historical references that go back to the 4th millennium BCE (Judiasm/Chiristianity can only claim 2nd millennium), Buddhism has historical references at least back to 2500 BCE.

there is a great number of followers in the Christian faith, roughly 2 Billion

Numbers mean nothing when it comes to the validity of a religion

As I've said before... if one god is true... then they all are

As a Deist, I like to think they are all part and parcel of the Creator

Edited by mako

There is a maximum default quote quota, they won't work properly if you put more than ten in a post.

So according to your belief Silver Cougar, everything you believe in, becomes a god ?. So, I could take this pencil, on my desk here, and suddenly believe that it's a God, and it therefore is ?. If this is true then with 2 billion worshippers, I would claim that Jesus Christ and God are the most powerful Gods in existance.

I like this game, :yes: Some people could take two pieces of wood hammer them together and turn them into a powerful religious symbol capable of warding off demons, or a circle could be a powerful protective symbol or a star or a pentagram or an Ankha or picture of some guy who was related to your Grandfather, Wiccan's belive you can charge anything to be magikal so why the heck not a pencil.

The only problem I have with religion is it's elitism, for goodness sake, the my religion is the only true religion and I would fight and die to prove it sect are a real problem. Honestly, when you die, how about you say hello to Jesus and Buddah and Allah and anyone else who is up there for me, I doubt it is anywhere near as exclusive as most churches would have you believe. After all living isn't an invite only event.

I called it mythology because that is what it was called in school right. You learn that in school that it is fake right?

Wait, what gives anyone the right to say it is any more fake than another religion?

I think I said that christianity cannot be proven as much as zeus. But you only read the parts about me calling it a myth. Why?

I read all of it.

There is a maximum default quote quota, they won't work properly if you put more than ten in a post.

I realized that after I posted...shucks!

I doubt it is anywhere near as exclusive as most churches would have you believe. After all living isn't an invite only event.

Totally agree! :yes:

Simple question deserves a simple answer – Now that Christianity’s 1700 year monopoly on the Western World has been broken and it is no longer a capital crime to actually research the claims of Christianity, more and more people have seen how bogus it all is. How there is NO CONTEMPORARY EVIDENCE of a Jesus of Nazareth, nothing anywhere other that a very highly biased and suspect collection of documents that gives evidence of the validity of the God Jehovah/Yaweh/YHWH or that Jesus of Nazareth was his son. That the town of Nazareth did not actually exist until around 130 CE. That Bethlehem of Judea was only ruins at the time Jesus was supposedly born there. That the whole thing is no more than a copy of various older resurrected savior god religions. That is why we take it upon ourselves to totally disregard a person who probably never existed and an organization that has perpetrated more horror, bloodshed, evil, torment, and torture upon this world and for longer than any other organization in the history of humanity

There are no historical accounts of his life…None. We only have 4 “gospels”, written long generations after the supposed fact, that claim to tell the details of his life, but if all the incidents (including the obvious repeats from poor copying) were put together, they would cover a mere 8 weeks out of a life that was supposedly 32 years long! All other mentions of this Jesus are either known interpolations or so far after the fact that the information could only have been gotten by asking a Christian.

I can only speak for myself, but I do not accept the other religious founders as anything more than I accept Jesus of Nazareth – either Charlatans, less than what their followers claimed, or pure and simple mythological characters.

And with the dearth of valid evidence they shouldn’t be.

I echo Seanp on this one – Oh that I would live to see the day!

Nor is there any for Jehovah/Yahweh/YHWH

Or unless you believe Jehovah actually fought alongside Israelites in the conquest of Canaan for the fun of it (Joshua 10:10-11)

Don’t see how that is much difference than speaking from a burning bush or from a whirlwind or impregnating a virgin through the holy spirit (which is supposed to be him anyway).

The Israelites believed that he dwelled in the Tabernacle, so what is the difference?

King Lear, Julius Caesar, Tobacco Road, the Longest Day are all brim full of historical references, any good fiction writer will set their works against a historical background, if only to make them believable. The bibles historical references does nothing toward granting validity to it or the religion it supports. Incidentially, could you provide any real evidence that David and Solomon ever existed, there seems to be no secular evidence for them.

Actually no religion can be proven false, nor can a religion be disproved totally.

They have as many historical references as does the bible, you just aren’t familiar with their history. Greek Mythology brims with Bronze Age Greek historical references, Hinduism has historical references that go back to the 4th millennium BCE (Judiasm/Chiristianity can only claim 2nd millennium), Buddhism has historical references at least back to 2500 BCE.

Numbers mean nothing when it comes to the validity of a religion

As a Deist, I like to think they are all part and parcel of the Creator

Hinduism dates back to 2500 bce to 1500 bce, Buddhism - 566-486 B.C.E , Judaism/ Hebraism - 3000 BCE. 3760 Im pretty sure is the start of the Jewish Calendar when Adam and Eve were created. That would predate any other religion. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.

I don't know why people would say that Greek gods are fake it is only what I heard. I guess since I don't believe it I didn't question whether it was fake.

But if you read it all why would you say that about what I said. I said in the post that Christianity is also called myth too. But

Judaism/ Hebraism - 3000 BCE

You need to get your nose out of fundamentalist websites and actually pick up recent historical and archaeological publications. Judaism was not around until the 9th century BCE and the YHWHist priests didn't get the religion as predominate until after the return from exile. 3000 years old, you wish! Whether you wish to believe it or not, the Avesta (Zoroasterism) has material that can be dated back to nearly 4000 BCE, the Hindu scriptures (there are several) has material that can be dated into the 2nd century BCE. i would go on, but you are too closed minded to worry with. :yes:

Like Mako said, no religion can be proved to be false, as long as one person follows it, that is enough, no matter how foolish it sounds. Everyone is free to follow what it is they want, religion or philosophies. Read up on Greek Mythology and see if you believe in any of that.

That would predate any other religion. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.

This is where you would be wrong. Studies and research has shown that animism and shamanism.. the communion of nature, and the animals... were the first religions. Shamans were the seer's, the healers, the spiritual guides to the wandering tribes of humans. The cave paintings and such predate judeism, and show that they were used for "magical" spells for the hunt.

When humans finaly settled down and became farmers.. cultivators... the animal and natural spirits the shamans were in "communication" with became gods and goddess... the most earliest dating back to pre babalonian and sumatrian.

Many now think that the abrahamic god was once a war god of one of the panthions the isreialites or caananites worshiped before just.. dropping them all for some other reason and going with just that one. The dropped gods and goddesses became angels and demons... Which could have been some priestly and leadership power play to do such.

You need to get your nose out of fundamentalist websites and actually pick up recent historical and archaeological publications. Judaism was not around until the 9th century BCE and the YHWHist priests didn't get the religion as predominate until after the return from exile. 3000 years old, you wish! Whether you wish to believe it or not, the Avesta (Zoroasterism) has material that can be dated back to nearly 4000 BCE, the Hindu scriptures (there are several) has material that can be dated into the 2nd century BCE. i would go on, but you are too closed minded to worry with. :yes:

can you source any of that ?

Why care about dates everyone?

The only date worth noting will be on the Calendar soon as a holiday.

10- 2.- the birth of the one and only.

Aww that is the only date you need to know. Lol.

:lol:

Hinduism is one of the oldest living religions--its roots dating to prehistoric times in India. And the Vedas are the oldest Hindu scriptures--older than the writings of any other major religion. (Charles S. J. White, Ph.D., Professor Emeritus of Philosophy and Religion, The American University)

Edited by seanph

can you source any of that ?

As soon as you source your claims. I am not the one making fantastic claims of a true religion, just showing how silly it is.

Read up on Greek Mythology and see if you believe in any of that.

I did and found it much more believable than Christianity and a lot less violent and racist. :yes:

Mako even the goat man? Zeus wasn't he a smitter?

As soon as you source your claims. I am not the one making fantastic claims of a true religion, just showing how silly it is.

I did and found it much more believable than Christianity and a lot less violent and racist. :yes:

What part on Greek "mythology" do you like best ?.

Heres one

SOURCE

Suzy-Q, Christmas is a pagan holiday, based on year-end celebrations held by the ancient Romans. Jesus was not born on December 25. Nobody knows for sure even what year he was born.

The first mention of December 25 as the birth date of Jesus occurred in A.D. 336 in an early Roman calendar. The celebration of this day as Jesus' birth date was probably influenced by pagan (unchristian) festivals held at that time. The ancient Romans held year-end celebrations to honor Saturn, their harvest god; and Mithras, the god of light. Various peoples in northern Europe held festivals in mid-December to celebrate the end of the harvest season. As part of all these celebrations, the people prepared special foods, decorated their homes with greenery, and joined in singing and gift giving. These customs gradually became part of the Christmas celebration.--Robert J. Myers, M.A., Author, Celebrations, The Complete Book of American Holidays

Sean

Here is a partial list of reading that will give you a fair background on what I was saying:

Finkelstein and Silberman, The Bible Unearthed (Touchstone, 2002)

Paul Johnson, A History of the Jews (Phoenix Grant, 1987)

Dan Cohn-Sherbok, The Crucified Jew (Harper Collins,1992)

Henry Hart Milman, The History of the Jews (Everyman, 1939)

Josephus, The Jewish War (Penguin, 1959)

Leslie Houlden (Ed.), Judaism & Christianity (Routledge, 1988)

Karen Armstrong, A History of Jerusalem (Harper Collins, 1999)

Jonathan N. Tubb, Canaanites (British Museum Press, 1998)

Norman Cantor, The Sacred Chain - A History of the Jews (Harper Collins, 1994)

Thomas L. Thompson, The Bible in History (Pimlico, 2000)

John Romer, Testament (Viking, 1999)

V. Davies, R. Friedman, Egypt (British Museum, 1998)

Herodotus, The Histories, (Penguin, 1972)

Ahmed Osman, Moses Pharaoh of Egypt (Grafton, 1990)

M. Grant, The History of Ancient Israel (Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 1996)

Aidan Dodson, Monarchs of the Nile (Rubicon, 1995)

Baruch Halpern, David's Secret Demons (Eerdmans, 2001)

B.S.J. Isserlin, The Israelites (Thames & Hudson, 1998)

Malachi Martin, The Decline & Fall of the Roman Church (Secker & Warburg, 1981)

Michael Parenti, History as Mystery (City Lights, 1999)

Alan Hall, History of the Papacy (PRC, 1998)

Helen Ellerbe, The Dark Side of Christian History (Morning Star & Lark, 1995)

Peter De Rosa, Vicars of Christ (Bantam Press, 1988)

John G. Jackson, Christianity Before Christ (American Atheist Press, 1985)

S. Angus, The Mystery Religions (Kessinger Publishing, 2003)

Antonia Tripolitis, Religions of the Hellenistic Roman Age (Eerdmans,2002)

Heres one

SOURCE

As I suspected - a Christian website :yes:

Mako even the goat man? Zeus wasn't he a smitter?

Goat man? You mean the Satyrs? The symbol of male sexual lust? XD

Naa the worse they were doing was being womanizers. But even if the woman were willing.. for some reason the english translations of the myth had it that they were "raped"... when really there was alot of willingness.

Mako even the goat man?

Like SC said, the only goatman in Greek Myths are the satyrs and they were nothing more than sex machines!

Zeus wasn't he a smitter?

I am sure Zeus could smite, but read your old testament, nearly every page Jehovah is smiting and usually it is armies and cities and whole peoples (often it is his own chosen people that he is smiting). Blood drips from the pages of the OT, blood spilled by their great grand god - YHWH aka Yahweh aka Jehovah! Jehovah makes Zeus look like a pre-K kid in the smiting and murdering and overall evil department! :yes:

Christianity is the most popular religion in the world. That in itself is why a lot of people hate it or try to debunk it. And it is also because of Jesus, a Jew.

Christianity is the most popular religion in the world. That in itself is why a lot of people hate it or try to debunk it. And it is also because of Jesus, a Jew.

:huh: gods.. give me the stregnth..

Honestly, that last comment wasn't needed. The only people have a problem with that fact are bigitod people.

As for christianity, it's more because of the faith's past actions, and present actions.. not just because it's the "biggest" faith in the world.