Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Depp's Golden "Wonka" Ticket?

Starlyte

It could soon be Oompa Loompa time for Johnny Depp.

Currently sailing the seas as Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl's Captain Jack Sparrow, the thespian may be foregoing the rum for some everlasting gobstoppers--he's the frontrunner to play Willy Wonka in director Tim Burton's update of Roald Dahl's classic Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, sources confirmed Wednesday.

Earlier reports initially had Warner Bros. and the helmer eyeing Christopher Walken and Michael Keaton (news) as everyone's favorite Candy Man.

But Burton and Warners sweetened on Depp following the blockbuster success of Pirates of the Carribbean, according to Daily Variety. That swashbuckling adventure has grossed over $200 million worldwide and already has a sequel in the works.

If Burton punches Depp's golden ticket, it would mark the versatile actor's fourth starring role for the director: Depp cut up the screen as the title character in 1990's Edward Scissorhands, played the legendary cross-dressing, angora-obsessed B-moviemaker in 1994's Ed Wood (news) and kept his head as Ichibod Crane in 1999's Sleepy Hollow.

Depp also has bona fides as a candy lover, having showed off his sweet tooth in the 2000 Miramax confection, Chocolat.

Warners has long wanted to redo the twisted kiddie story, but Dahl was never a big fan of the 1971 adaptation, titled Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and starring Gene Wilder (news), which the author thought was half-baked (even though it's now considered a cult classic). Since his death, Dahl's estate has been hesitant to green-light another movie version.

Full Article LINK

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• colorless

• snuffypuffer

• dust19

• Nintendork

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a movie that they really don't need to remake. It's classic! Everytime I see Gene Wilder, I automatically think of Willy Wonka. AND if Burton's doing this, just remember what he did to Planet of the Apes. screama.gifscreama.gif

Ah, man, I love Burton, but yeah, this is a classic. It's sooo gonna suck.

I want these actors

Charlie-haily joel osment or mculey culkin (sorry fro the spelling)

Wonka-Nick Cage

Grandpa-Robin williams

1 of the oompa loompas-Verne troyer (couldnt resist

as much as I love Tim Burton's works(except for the suckfest remake of Planet of the Apes), how he can possibly think he can be capable of remaking this movie, (although i dont think any director should even think of remaking Wonka either)... Its just that Burton has such a dark, morbid and twisted view of things that I fear he might ruin Willy Wonka for many...

a lot of the box office flops happen to be remakes, why havent these writers,directors, etc., taken notice of this...

I agree they shouldn't remake it but Depp rocks.

• 3 weeks later...

Because Michael Richards kinda walks like an old man. But anyway. Ian Mckellen should play the grandpa. I wanna see him sing that Golden Ticket song.

My Eyes THEY BURN!!!!

sarkypi thats hideous whatever possesed you to post thatdisgustin horror of a pick, its worse than seeing him without make up...

Yeah, it was a complete classic.

But did anyone else here the rumours that Marilyn Manson was to play Willy Wonka?

Hows about that?

They should do a sequel not a remake.

Tim has some great movies out there, my favs are: Batman, The Nightmare Before Christmas and Edward Sizzorhands just to name a few.

BTW, Mila is soooooooooo hot! wub.gifwub.gif