Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Sharks don't fancy humans"

UM-Bot

news icon rA leading Italian expert has dismissed claims by an Australian marine biologist that sharks are a growing threat to humans. Alberto Lucca Recchi, a photographer and writer who has made the study of sharks his life's passion, said suggestions that the mammals had developed a taste for human flesh were just not true .

"There are cases of attacks on humans but the shark does not eat the person," he said.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: ANSA.it

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogfish

• RedRaider9981

• Talon

• SilverCougar

Alberto Lucca Recchi, a photographer and writer who has made the study of sharks his life's passion, said suggestions that the mammals had developed a taste for human flesh were just not true.

Hmmm, I think it's funny that Alberto has made sharks his life study, but has yet to figure out that those big ol' fish aren't mammals. :P

I seen that also.

any fisherman will tell ya --'when the fish bite and the fishing is good- stay out of the water--"

Alberto Lucca Recchi, a photographer and writer who has made the study of sharks his life's passion, said suggestions that the mammals had developed a taste for human flesh were just not true.

Hmmm, I think it's funny that Alberto has made sharks his life study, but has yet to figure out that those big ol' fish aren't mammals.

I was thinking that too.

I'm sure that's a mistake on the part of the writer of this article, not the researcher since he did not write this article. I'm pretty sure he knows the difference between, for example, a whale and a shark.

This is not news anyway, it's a pretty comon conception. Rarely has a shark attacked a human because it wanted to attack a human. Mostly, they attack thinking humans are seals or the like, and naturally get quite repulsed when they get a mouthful of rubber and salty poluted human meat. Blech!

any fisherman will tell ya --'when the fish bite and the fishing is good- stay out of the water--"

Ok, when the fish bite and the fishing is good, stay out of the water...that is true, as schools of fish attract sharks...that was just an typing error of the writer...Sharks are not encroahing on humans, we are on them! And those "rogue" sharks are not really blood-thirsty mindless monsters with a taste of human blood...they are just opportunistic hunters trying to survive....there is no problem with that.

There is a video of a surfer taping his brother surfing in South Africa. At the top of the wave, the surfer stands up on his board, and at that time, you can clearly see in the wave, two large Great Whites coming up. You don't see them for longer than a second, and they just smash the surfer, luckily, all he lost was his hand, as the sharks missed....this same feeding pattern is observed when Great Whites and Tigers hunt sea birds and seals...the silhouette of a surfers looks almost the same as a seal.

Remeber, treat Sharks with utmost respect, as you are trespassing THEIR domain....

^ yeah I heard that, the surf board's silouette is almost like that of a seal, and with the surfer splashing around, it attracts the sharks attention.

only the ignorent blame another for their own faults. we belong on the land, not the sea. and the sea is home to the sharks not us. and its our own fault that they would swim closer to the shores, because we are destroying their natural prey... so its obvious they are going to be in dire need to search for other food sources, and no not humans <_<

Edited by Leliel

With my luck I would run against the one shark that did aquire a taste for human flesh :rolleyes:. I guess if I see a shark coming with a bottle of tobasco sauch I should probably get out of the way...

One of the things that I never understood is that they make the claim that sharks don't care much for human flesh and usually only take one bite and then move away.

I have also heard that it is common practice for sharks to come in and take a fatally wounding bite out of their lunch and then move away to circle until they know it is safe to come back in when lunch can no longer fight back(specially when the lunch is an unkown quantity as to whether it is dangerous to the shark).

On top of that is all of the people that simply dissapear while swimming in the ocean, never to be heard from again. It is possible that they simply drowned, but really without a body, who can say what happened to them? I wonder if it is possible that sharks do eat more people than we think, but just don't leave evidence behind to let us know what happened.

Regardless, I have had a rule of thumb for quite some time; never go swimming anyplace that does not have blue water with chlorine in it

:tu:

Or at the very least, don't go swimming in shark-infested waters!

In simplicity, it's as much their right to eat us as it is ours to eat, well, anything we feel like. So just stay out of their way! You don't go for a stroll in a savanah without being worried of hungry big cats, so why would you swim in the ocean carefree?

*shakes her head* I dun like swimming in the ocean at all. Time thinks I'm crazy... but he grew up while sailing across the pacific... so..

Ain't just sharks I fear... there's cone shells that'll stick ya and you die =(

Sharks are not encroahing on humans, we are on them! And those "rogue" sharks are not really blood-thirsty mindless monsters with a taste of human blood...they are just opportunistic hunters trying to survive....there is no problem with that.

Agreed

I dun like swimming in the ocean at all.

Same here, I hate water. I'm fine with showers and rain, but I'm so afraid of large bodies of water I feel uneasy when having a bath.

I'm sure that's a mistake on the part of the writer of this article, not the researcher since he did not write this article. I'm pretty sure he knows the difference between, for example, a whale and a shark.

This is not news anyway, it's a pretty comon conception. Rarely has a shark attacked a human because it wanted to attack a human. Mostly, they attack thinking humans are seals or the like, and naturally get quite repulsed when they get a mouthful of rubber and salty poluted human meat. Blech!

yes your probably right about that actually that is what l thought too.

Sharks... I alsways was afraid that I would be attacked,I am now at ease that they will SPIT ME OUT> :w00t:

One of the things that I never understood is that they make the claim that sharks don't care much for human flesh and usually only take one bite and then move away.

On top of that is all of the people that simply dissapear while swimming in the ocean, never to be heard from again. It is possible that they simply drowned, but really without a body, who can say what happened to them? I wonder if it is possible that sharks do eat more people than we think, but just don't leave evidence behind to let us know what happened.

Yes, I would bet the farm that there are much more shark attacks all over the world that don't get reported because there ain't nobody left to report them!

Also, sharks may not necessarily target humans as food, but I guarandamntee if they are hungry enough they will eat every last bite of you!user posted image

Hey!!

Sharks have always been wrongly portrayed due to the influence of movies like Jaws and Deep Blue Sea.

Earlier and even now the fear in me kind of exists because as a kid I had seen Jaws and always thought if I get into the sea a shark is going to get me. But after I read an article regarding sharks in Reader's Digest I am slowly overcoming my fears too where for instance the author had written that the shark merely gets attracted to what catches its eye and it comes to investigate as to what it is and not exactly in search of prey. Well, curiosity exists in other species also and not just humans. And with this article it strengthens the fact that all living species are curious beings.

Smriti :)

Earlier and even now the fear in me kind of exists because as a kid I had seen Jaws and always thought if I get into the sea a shark is going to get me. But after I read an article regarding sharks in Reader's Digest I am slowly overcoming my fears

Being scared of sharks doesn't neccessarily mean you think they're mindless killers. I'm absolutely fascinated by sharks, I watch documentaries on them, movies on them, read books on them. Absolutely love them. But they terrify me. I know all the facts and myths behind shark attacks, but I find it hard enough to look at a picture of them unless I'm braced for it. I once was channel surfing, and I switched onto a documentary on them, and because I wasn't prepared for it, I leapt into the air in terror (and I'm not joking :wacko: I honestly lept from the centre of the room where I was standing straight onto the couch a good two metres away as if I was expecting a shark to come through the floor).

Its natural to fear sharks, they are after all a large predator in an enivonrment we're rather helpless in. Fear often leads to fascination. But fear doesn't neccessarily mean ignorance.

Maybe the sharks here studied, just did not like eatin Itailian, ROFLMAO

:devil:

Also, sharks may not necessarily target humans as food, but I guarandamntee if they are hungry enough they will eat every last bite of you!

That is because they are oppurtunistic feeders or they are just rying to survive....why do we eat meat? We don't need too, but sharks do.

Hey!!

Sharks have always been wrongly portrayed due to the influence of movies like Jaws and Deep Blue Sea.

Earlier and even now the fear in me kind of exists because as a kid I had seen Jaws and always thought if I get into the sea a shark is going to get me. But after I read an article regarding sharks in Reader's Digest I am slowly overcoming my fears too where for instance the author had written that the shark merely gets attracted to what catches its eye and it comes to investigate as to what it is and not exactly in search of prey. Well, curiosity exists in other species also and not just humans. And with this article it strengthens the fact that all living species are curious beings.

Totally true Smriti. Sharks are VERY intelligent and VERY inquisitive. The are one of the most curious animals....the famous great white antic "sticking the head out of the water trying to bite" is actually them seeing what is above the surface...they have no intentions of biting, unless provoked.

Being scared of sharks doesn't neccessarily mean you think they're mindless killers. I'm absolutely fascinated by sharks, I watch documentaries on them, movies on them, read books on them. Absolutely love them. But they terrify me.

True, I'm facinated by the Animal and plant world, and paleontology. I love sharks, but I don't fear them, I RESPECT them.

There is a difference.....:yes:

I don't fear the sharks... I fear their sharp teeth!

I don't fear the sharks... I fear their sharp teeth!

The teeth are nothing without the brains....or the whole shark..

The teeth are nothing without the brains....or the whole shark..

:P

I don't fear the shark or it's teeth.

Actually, I don't want to be the victim of a shark attack; that would screw up my plans to be torn to pieces by lions in the Serengeti. :ph34r:

:alien: i don't fancy humans either, but i do find the concept of canniblism to be delightful...but that is in my self absorbed little world

as for sharks....no, no taste would develop because they haven't eaten them as a normal meal....why don't people realize this?..scientist too for jumping to such proposterous conclusions

it makes me very hungry....:devil: