Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Jungle discovery opens new Mayan chapter

UM-Bot
mayan.jpg
A University of Calgary archaeologist and her international team of researchers have discovered the earliest known portrait of a woman that the Maya carved into stone, demonstrating that women held positions of authority very early in Maya history – either as queens or patron deities.

The discovery was made earlier this year in Guatemala at the site of Naachtun, a Maya city located some 90 kilometres through dense jungle north of the more famous Maya city of Tikal.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: University of Calgary

Daughter of the Nine Moons

user posted image

Here is the portrait :)

jillh10

but researchers are tantalized by the possibility she might be a mythical figure.

No she isn't mythical, its me the last time I went there I had it done as a postcard but I forgot to post it..nice find!

edit- to remove unnecessary text from quote- Dot

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons

__Kratos__

No she isnt mythical, its me the last time I went there I had it done as a postcard but I forgot to post it..nice find!

So you just magically got a postcard before it was even discovered? Nice... hook me up with your postcard dealer. ;)

No word on what else they found in the story. They did mention a looter's trench though... :(

AztecInca

Very fascinating indeed. Hopefully more discoveries are made to uncover the identity of this lovely lady!