Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Goldfish gets cosmetic surgery

__Kratos__

user posted image

LIFE in a fishbowl often drives celebrities to cosmetic surgery, but treating this patient was no small-scale operation.

Lucky the comet goldfish underwent the procedure last week to remove six unsightly tumours that had grown over his scales.

Lucky underwent a half-hour operation / supplied

Although the tumours were benign, Lucky's owners at Kellyville Pets volunteered him for the surgery when Melbourne vet Dr Jim Greenwood visited to train the staff in aspects of fish care.

The surgery, which took about 35 minutes, would normally cost about $150.

The operation on Lucky was undertaken through a process of gill irrigation, said Kellyville Pets aquarium supervisor Michael Chiappazzo.

This involved administering an anaesthetic through a tube in Lucky's mouth as water circulated through his gills, ensuring he was kept alive while out of the water.

Mr Chiappazzo said tumours are commonly found in older fish like 10-year-old Lucky.

"Goldfish can live until they're 20 years old and owners become attached to them just like any other pet," he said.

"It isn't uncommon for people to seek vet treatment for their fish."

The cosmetic procedure is so popular that Dr Greenwood performs up to 60 operations each year to fix aesthetic flaws on pet fish in Victoria and NSW.

"Performing operations in front of aquarium staff and veterinary science students helps to educate them about potential health problems and diseases of fish," Dr Greenwood said.

Lucky ... now happy as Larry / Brad Newman

"Lucky is now the centre of attention in the shop.

"We have fixed up a nice tank for him and he's on display and swimming around happily.

"We have a little sign telling the customers about Lucky's story and it always gets a good reaction.

"We might move him into the ponds later, but for now he's very popular," he said.

Source

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:blink:

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• __Kratos__

• Lord Umbarger

• _Nyx_

• a_blue_fish

Top Posters In This Topic

This involved administering an anaesthetic through a tube in Lucky's mouth as water circulated through his gills, ensuring he was kept alive while out of the water

Now Kratos I'm a great admirer of your posts and I look forward to them. But on this occasion I have doubts on the truth of this one. :hmm:

Giving gold fish anaesthetic :hmm:

I thought it was cool.

--Jon

Homeless people everywhere cheer.

That's pretty neat though. Bet those are some Steady hands.

Hey, it's no big deal. I performed surgery on a salmon yesterday for lunch. I used hot sause for anaesthetic and coca-cola for gill irrigation. All in all, I'd say that the operation was a resounding success!

Hey! I use to have a 55 gallons tank with 23 fish and I love them to death! Just like as dogs and cats. I even named them all.

It is so peaceful and very relaxing to just sit and watch them swimming, if you are very good with fish, you can hand feed it. Some specie such as Tin Foil Barb, Oscar, etc... will even recognize you and come to front of the tank whenever you're close. They have personality as well.

So yeah fish can mean a lot to owner.

Now Kratos I'm a great admirer of your posts and I look forward to them. But on this occasion I have doubts on the truth of this one. :hmm:

Check out the source. :P The Aussies reported it.

It brightens my day to hear that a goldfish is getting the respect and attention it deserves- too often they are mistreated. :)

I can see it happening. Fish can live a long time, and can get to know you. I dont think I would spend the money for cosmetic reasons, but if one of my fish was sick, I would try to get it well again.

I just checked and YES! Goldfish are kosher! Bite sized too!

Sorry, I've not had lunch yet.

Grrrrr.....Here are some reliable links that prove this is true!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3214/04.html

http://oslovet.veths.no/dokument.aspx?dokument=191

http://www.fishjunkies.com/procedures.php

http://www.vet.upenn.edu/schoolresources/c...al_patient.html