Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stop slamming U.S., Washington warns Martin

Thanato

Stop slamming U.S., Washington warns Martin

The U.S. ambassador to Canada has rebuked Prime Minister Paul Martin, saying he risks damaging relations between the countries by dragging the United States into the federal election campaign.

Wilkins didn't name Martin directly but left no doubt that he was talking about the prime minister when he warned against scoring cheap political points against Washington.

"It may be smart election-year politics to thump your chest and criticize your friend and your No. 1 trading partner constantly," Ambassador David Wilkins said in a speech to the Canadian Club in Ottawa on Tuesday.

"But it is a slippery slope, and all of us should hope that it doesn't have a long-term impact on the relationship."

He said Canada and the United States have one of the best relations in the world, but warned that he often wouldn't know it by comments made in the election campaign or stories in Canadian media.

"It's easy to criticize the United States; we're an easy target at times," Wilkins said. "...But the last time I looked, the United States was not on the ballot."

Martin irked Washington with Kyoto comments

During the fall, Martin has angered Washington by criticizing a number of U.S. policies, including its position on softwood lumber duties.

A few days earlier, the White House officially complained about comments the prime minister made at the UN climate change conference in Montreal.

In a speech, Martin singled out the United States and, in particular, the administration of U.S. President George W. Bush for refusing to sign the Kyoto Protocol on greenhouse-gas reductions.

Martin also urged the United States – estimated to produce one-quarter of the world's greenhouse-gas emissions – to listen to the "global conscience" on climate-change issues.

On Dec. 9, Jim Connaughton, chairman of the Council on Environmental Quality, chastised Canadian Ambassador Frank McKenna over Martin's comments.

He told McKenna they were the worst slight against Bush since Germany's Gerhard Schroeder suggested Bush's stance against the Kyoto Protocol was responsible for hurricane Katrina.

U.S. better than Canada on greenhouse-gas emissions: Wilkins

Wilkins noted the United States has a better track record on cutting its greenhouse-gas emissions, as a percentage of its total, than Canada does.

Since Kyoto was signed, Canada's emissions have gone up 24 per cent over 1990 levels, while U.S. emissions have climbed 13.3 per cent from 1990 to 2003.

"I would respectfully submit to you that when it comes to a 'global conscience,' the United States is walking the walk," Wilkins said.

'I will defend Canada,' Martin says

Martin rejected Wilkins's criticisms, denying that he had attacked some U.S. policies to score political points.

"I have not made the United States or any country a target in the campaign," Martin told reporters as he campaigned in Surrey, B.C., for the Jan. 23 election.

He said it was his job as the leader of the country to tackle issues such as the softwood lumber dispute, which has been the main trade irritant between Canada and the United States for several years.

Martin noted that he had staked out Canada's stand on the lumber dispute and climate change long before an election was called.

"The position that I have taken on softwood lumber, that the Americans should honour their agreement, is a position I took long before any election was contemplated," Martin said.

"We do expect our partners to honour their agreements.

"And I will defend Canada. Period."

Source

Personaly i think someone should stand up to the US. And that someone should be the Prime Minister.

~Thanato

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thanato

• The Silver Thong

• PadawanOsswe

• artymoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah... why not rip on America? The rest of the world does it. Let's all rips on, whine about and cry on each other's shoulders because of the big, bad America! :lol:

Well, Canada has a responasablility as the Northern Nabour of the US to make a stand.

Plus its an Election.

~Thanato

I know, that's what makes it so amusing. From this report it seems Canadians aren't looking enough to look at the issues of the person running, but rather would just hear anti-America spew and cheer. Kind of makes you wonder a bit about the Canadian people.

All countries suck ;P

Isn't it typical of this administration to oppose any opinion of the world's community of nations? It did it with the United Nations so it is not strange that they would fail to honor their prior commitment of the United States and now oppose the Kyoto Pact.

As in Orwells 1984; there always seems to be time for the Two-Minute Hate.

Hate sells, it makes headlines, it is sensational. You'll never see "Prime Minister thanks President for very nice Christmas gift and box of chocolates" on the front page of the Times...

Everyone hates something... America just fits the bill very often.

They always looks for ways to be hated. Sadly, the few good things the USA does didnt appear in the newspapers too much.

Who cares, these guys are politicians!!! Let the people trade amongst themselves and travel freely between the boarders. That is what builds good relationships.

Election year? What rhetoric have we conditioned the people to be saying these days? America sucks, bunch of heartless, brainless neanderthals? Ok, we'll go with that, but Just until the election's over. We still have to deal with those people you know. Our citizens have short memories, they won't care in a few months.

Bad mouthing the U.S. didn't pay off for the German PM Schroeder. Seems like that would be a clue to others that most people are in fact not all that anti-American.

Politicians with that type of rhetoric don't usually inspire people in a positive manner.

Though he can say what he wishes, it doesn't help him or his country. Why can't he give ideas on how to strengthen the friendship between the nations instead of tear them apart? Doesn't sound very smart.

Well Prime Minister Martin, is a great leader. He is for Canada. And the US and Canada are having dissagreaments at the moment. Anywho hes not Anti-American.

Hes just not a fan of your current government. GO LIBERALS GO

~Thanato

So, if I start right now a massive slamming campaign against Canada, I'll be a good politician? :P

I think the last big thing Martin did to tick off Washington was about Kyoto. It's so easy to start jabbing with fingers when huge changes like that will barely affect you, but will greatly affect your neighbor. :rolleyes:

America is a wonderfull country Bush has just given it a bad image.Bush is like a child i bet he thinks this war and everything is all a game

America is a wonderfull country Bush has just given it a bad image.Bush is like a child i bet he thinks this war and everything is all a game

Wow. That was enlightening :mellow:

Paul Martin and the liberals,oh going back many years have been proven to be a corrupt and manipulating goverment. What Martin is doing now may help his campaing but so what he's building even bigger walls with our good friends to the south. What possible good could come from him slandering the U.S. to the Canadian people, I'll tell you vote's for him and less trade for Canada.

Paul Martin and half his back alley dealing crew should be in jail, if any one else did what the Liberals did it you mean jail time............

It is time for a change and Thanto do not fear what you do not understand, the conservatives will NOT turn Canada into the 53rd state by any means

:P:P

Thanto you are from the east and use to having what ever Goverment Ontario votes in. I think It's time the rest of Canada had a say and well this could be it. Ya ya I live in Alberta and I can guess your views on good old Klien. Please don't defend the Liberals they haven't paid you yet to do it. :P

edit:spelling

Edited by The Silver Thong

53rd state

Did I miss something? Was there some kind of Ebay deal that went on and we added Mexico and Cuba to the list of states?

Dang...now I have to go and buy new flags with more stars...

Sorry fluffy, it wasn't a very funny joke I know. But damn the things you find on e-bay WOW.

Thanto love your posts, keep it up.

Ummmm, maybe if we count Puerto Rico and our Caribbean holding as the 51st state, and American Samoa and our Pacific Islands as another 52ed state. Then you have 52.

Not quite what I meant as the joke,but yes very close indeed to what I meant. Good one.

yeah bush is a terrorist.

If Bush is a terrorist then you are not an idiot.....

If Bush is a terrorist then you are not an idiot.....

True from one perspective, but if you flip the coin, others from around the globe may feel different. Just another perspective though.

:tu:

I dont trust people who bring Religion into Politics. The two dont mix. Personaly i would rather have the good old fashion Rhinos in charge, but they disbanded. Man thay had an amazing policy, which thay really didnt know but hey. There only promis was to Movie Niagra falls to Alberta.

~Thanato