Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Levitation

shadowtiger17

Well not THE explanation, but after watching the levation tricks on video performed by Criss Angel I came up with a few theories:

First of all it is important to divide the levitation tricks into different categories, because they are quite different:

1) levitating a few feet in front of stairs or chairs, while turning his back to the audience.

2) levitating leaning backwards with one foot on the ground

3) levitating a bystander in midair

4) levitating 5 feet in the air with nothing around him.

5) levitating 5 feet in the air with an object behind him

Theories:

1) There is always an object in front of him to which he "levitates", he always has his back turned to the camera/audience. Sometimes one or two people seem to be next to him or in front of him which would have to be in on the trick. He is wearing a fake hollow, bendable leg on one leg which is attached to his shoe. The fake leg fits into the back half of his real leg. He then could just bend his knee, while putting his leg up and step up to the object in front of him. The view from behind would be two legs and two shoes next to eachother. When he has raised his other leg and the fake leg to the chair, the fake leg and shoe should fit into his real leg again. This way he can just turn around and show there are no other gimmicks present, the fake leg is reset and the trick can be performed again. His trousers would have to be cut or flexible to be able to put out a leg while his trousers at the back remain straight. In the video in the cafeteria you can actually see him make a stange move with his right leg slightly bending it, as if the fake leg didn't come of straight away and snaps back. This trick would require to lean slightly forward to keep balance, which is clearly visible when he does the trick on the escalator. When he perfoms this trick on the sidewalk -without an object in front of him- you can clearly see that it is suddenly necessary to lean sharply forward while balancing on one leg. The man passing by who has to see his leg in front of him, is clearly not impressed, from his standpoint, he propably doesn't even realize that someone is performing a trick, he just sees a man balancing on one leg.

With this trick you have to ask yourself two questions:

-Why not just levitate and land on the ground again? Because that would make it suspicous that an object in front of him is necessary. He cleverly has an excuse that a chair needs to be in front of him, because he is going to land on it, classical misdirecting of a magician.

-Why not perform the trick without an object in front of him? Well because it wouldn't be possible then, otherwise he would have shown it, because that would make the trick MUCH more impressive. When he does it on the sidewalk without an object, there is no audience behind him, just the camera from slightly above, because people standing directly behind would be able to see it.

2) In the video I saw he clearly stamps his right foot, and could insert a metal pole hidden in his right leg into the ground, the location seems to be selected by himself, so perhaps a prepared ground is needed with a hollow pipe. When he bends backwards while bending his knees, a metal mechanism hidden in his leg and back bends with him but locks at 90 degrees. He is then able to straighten out his other leg. Why not straighten out both legs at the same time? Or first one leg and then the other? This seems a giveaway to me. He also did this trick with a bystander which would have to be in on his trick. Only this time she has two legs on the ground when bend backwards and he shows that there is nothing under her back. Then he also straightens her legs but doesn't show again there still isn't anything under her back. So this would mean that she has the pole in one of her legs when he shows there is nothing under her back, but it is removed after another pole has risen from the ground (or is pulled down from her back) to support her back and connect with the metal plate she is wearing there. Conveniently he immediately lowers her which could be the pole in the ground simply descending. At this time the camera doesn't give a clear view of what's under her anymore. Again classical misdirection by a magician, first show that there isn't anything at a certain place, so that later when there is something there the audience is just tricked into thinking it can't be because it wasn't there before.

You have to ask yourself why the straightening of both legs isn't performed when he is levitating himself, surely the trick would be much more impressive if he would do that instead of just straightening just one leg? The answer is that it requires another person to make sure the pole from the ground connects with the back of the woman. In the video there are cuts and a shot where he may have touched the lower of her back may have been left out.

3) There is no other possiblity than that the whole crowd is in on the trick. The crowd looks unnaturally disciplined forming an ordered circle around him, no other people seem to walk by or join the crowd, this is in the middle of the streets of Las Vegas right? She simple hangs from a cable from above. He makes a point of having the camera looking up before the trick but neglects this when she is actually levitating. This trick is always performed outside, why not do this trick in the cafetaria? Because a crane would have a hard time fitting into there.

4) A cable from above, no other possibility, usually there are no bystanders so that is just a camera trick. The cases where he did this with crowds (which are always just a few people), but with the wall behind him, could only happen if the crowd was in on the trick.

5) This is the video with the plants behind him performed for just 1 bystander. The plants could conceal a contraption which connects with a metal plate in his back. It is suspicous that he always walks up to the camera immedtaily after landing on the ground, perhaps allowing something behind him to quickly hide itself. This trick could also be with just a cable and a bystander who is in on the trick, it is suspicous that there isn't a crowd.

Well just theories, but it's not impossible to reach the same results with it.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Virtual Particle

• Megalomania

• Bio-Mage

• shadowtiger17

If I take an industrial robot designed to function as a replacement for a human hand (live the ones used in the car industry) and supply it with a bal pine hammer. How many pounds per square inch of force would it be have to be programmed to use, so that when it struck 15 cinder blocks it would break through all of them with one blow.

Do you see the problem with your argument in relation to Chi'?

Do you see how your interpretation of what would be massive fits?

As far as using the word concentration as opposed to magnification I can see the point that concentration is the more appropriate term. I was somewhat tired last night so excuse if I was not concentrating :)

As humans, we are most likely unable to issue, diffract and magnify matter waves either, so I still have to remain sceptical as to wether we can levitate

Keep in mind Wombat that in respect to wave aspect and electron orbit issuing matter waves occurs quite often within the span of a second (no different than what you throw a rock into a lake). Wave aspects in relation to matter are ever present perhaps you were thinking of the wave function which is different).

Wave Aspect

As the article concludes most physicists do not take solid quantum particles seriously

meaning that all the energy that is implied in what we term our physical structures at the quantum level is oriented in a completely different way.

Wombat there is such a thing as being skeptical about skepticism :)

Consciousness in relation to a quantum orientation to reality would be a more ordered state than the matter in which it is being generated. This is what the top scientist in the world are saying these days (in essence) so as far as being able to levitate it’s not impossible.

Am stopping here because it’s getting late but will elaborate in relation to the above at my usual opportunity (God willing) :)

Any thoughts?

Bells inequality is as described also known as Bells theorem and to put what is being said in layman’s terms. It states, for example; A rock falls down a precipice into a canyon on a planet billions of light years from here. Information regarding that event does arrive here (on Earth) instantaneously. This is inherent to how the Universe functions at the quantum scale and Bells theorem proves that. Now say a person speaks, is that information processed in the same way (traveling instantaneously throughout the entire universe affecting every thing else that exist? The answer is yes, not just because out lips are moving but also because molecules of air are displaced, as a result of the activity of speaking.

What about brain activity? Again absolutely and in fact the level of organization is massively more ordered (I mean massively) than the radomness inherent in common events in nature (rocks falling over cliffs).

Do you see where this is going Wombat? The laws of physics are not altered what is different is the perspective (energy cannot be destroyed......). What makes you and I, as well as all of us solid, makes us human and aware. As such that inherent order is equal no matter how ones happen to perceive, it in relation to reality (sort of a ying yang thing).

When a matter wave is diffracted it becomes non-linear psi in all its forms is an experience in being non-linear. As far a concentrating matter waves? As I have explained, when a matter wave is diffracted the resultant effect is that it is restored to a non-linear state from a condition in which it had been diffracted in relation to nature (I can elaborate if you so desire but it really not "on topic".

The ability to exert psychic force over objects at a distance has also been demonstrated in large-scale experiments. Even over distances of thousands of miles, the behavior of certain machines, called REGs for Random Event Generators have been altered by the intention and, or the psychic force of a distant person. The odds that these effects are real, and not due to chance, is now measured in billions to one. In other words, this phenomenon is real.

Any thoughts?

There was a case in the time of Queen Elizabeth. I believe the man's last name was Lamb. He was famous for levitating and once floated out of an upper story window in front of the queen. You might investigate.

:geek: You may be thinking of D. D. Home. But it was in the time of Queen Victoria, 1850 or so. He did once float out an upper story window and into another window, but I don't know if the Queen was there. He demonstrated before all the crowned heads of Europe as well as all the famous scientisits of the time.

~~~Cebrakon

:ph34r: If you would like to learn levitation, I suggest Batcheldor groups. You can find references to him on the web, and articles by him in JSPR. He uses table-tipping as a start. I have seen table-tipping done at parties, and I helped set up the table. I also crawled underneath to be sure no one was lifting it with a foot. And I studied the fingers. You can pull a card table, but it requires pushing down, inverting the last joint, which also turns white. So it is impossible to hide.

:ph34r: Batcheldor does his table-tipping starting at midnight, going all night, in complete darkness. He waits until the PK is flowing freely before he triggers cameras. Psi is a psychological phenomenon. It doesn't work like a machine. Psychological atmosphere is always relevant. And one thing that will kill many kinds of Psi is the presence of a strongly dogmatic skeptic. I know. People will snicker at that. It is possible to be skeptical. I was skeptical. Just so long as you don't make dogma of it.

~~~Cebrakon

Kalib, I hate to be a skeptic, but when I levitated once, there was no one around. Yours however had witnesses, making me think, news worthy?

Perhaps your affirmations somehow awakened the udana's upward flow? That's the only way I think it could've happened. Unless perhaps your KNOWING, bent what is conceived as reality, by many.

The one time I did levitate, it was the udana, which is a "nerve", extending upward from the neck chakra, though debateably, the chest up. Knowing you can do something can be potent though....

None the less, your post captured my attention! :D

Okay, I'm back, give me a few day(s) to catch up. . . .

Sorry, but you tried to fill your lungs with air to levitate.

:P:devil:

Okay, I'm back, give me a few day(s) to catch up. . . .

I don't know if repeating that mantra aided at all. Lately those experiences have been dancing in my head, and even impeded my sleep. I wake up expecting to be up in the air. I am going to start another clinical soon, and still I am trying to relive those experiences, and I would very much like to elicit them in another person. I have been very maticulous about this, hence the forum. My witnesses are loyal and will not talk, except amongst ourselves. . . except for the dean. Since that experience the dean is quite fun of me. He has tried to help me measure and run all sort of pk test. I find myself doting more and more on this topic than my actual clinical science readings.

I want it, and I want to master it if possible. I would like to share experiences very descriptive to aid each other in this topic. I even started asking people some of these questions on the floor of the hospital to see if there is anything I overlooked besides my own experience such as the mantra ' I can fly', being in danger and jumping up. But that leaves out the fact I was in class participating, you know, head down and reading. . . half-ass listening to the lecture because I read up on the topic the night before and then ascending off my seat. And of course the fact I was sleeping and awoke to the ceiling. I started researching this topic lately, religiously.

I spoke to one young-lady, and she said that sounded like from the episode of Louis and Clark, Superman show. So of course, I have been looking over these stupid episodes of fictional work to see if there is possibly something there. I have even been searching all kinds of forums, religion, name it, just to see what exactly occurred, especially since it was not a one time ordeal. Again, I would like to see if anyone else has experience anything to those degrees, if not more. Thank you.

@Kalib: Maby you are a good jumper? Your story seems a little bit far-fetched... I mean, your feet reaching for the sealing in the middle of a lesson in medical school?

@Traid: I was only joking

Anyway, what I gather is that you think that by increasing oneselves magnetism, you can levitate? Well, if that was possible (which it most likely is not), you would need an amazingly strong magnetic field to lif your heavy body into the air. Science has so far only been able to do this with objects as small as frogs and strawberries and stuff. If you were able to generate such a strong magnetic field around you, it would also attract things, not only repel. So what if that magnetic field attracts you to the ground? Will you experience more than double your weight pressing down on you? How about near by objects which your field is attracted to?

If magnetism is actually not the key to your theory of why levitation occurs, disregard all that O_o

I really don't know, but I will try again and will let you know. No, I floating in my seated position, in class. Out of concern I turned over and clenched my desk. . . hence my feet pointing upward at the ceiling. Its not far-fetched, there was and still those students around. Some of them in clinicals and still talk of that day. I wonder which is far-fetched for you. . . the incident or the medical school part?

In regards to the magnetism field, I would like to say thank you. I thank you because that never occurred to both myself and the dean to test that. So, again, I will let you know of the results.

It's far-fetched how no-one reported the incident, or how you didn't have it checked out by a scientist.

Not even the Media heard about it.

I hate to be the one to burst your bubble but it is impossible to levitate. It is a trick of several magicians that has a great effect, but it is a trick nonetheless. Newtons' 3 laws pretty much cover the reasons why. Gravity cannot be willed away, and anyone who tell you differently is trying to sell you something...

i still dont understand why people that dont believe in the paranormal still come here....

Because we feel like spreading knowlege, and inflict our factual opinions onto other people. :devil:

Edited by Replacement100

Dutch scientists carried out a more astonishing experiment: they managed to levitate a frog. The scientists are certain that they will finally develop a special equipment to raise objects (even a human being) off the ground. The Dutch researchers said that the frog was the first live creature, which raised in the air without the mechanical power conversion - without a jump, a push, a propeller, wings, a blast wave, etc.

Maybe its posible? :huh:

http://english.pravda.ru/science/19/94/378...levitation.html

i still dont understand why people that dont believe in the paranormal still come here....

We come because we are interested in it, but we don't leave our brains at the door.

Hey Eric, wanna join my 'Skeptical Propaganda' group?

Sounds good. Do we get badges? :D

Badges!!! Badges!!!! We don't need no stinking Badges!!!

Speaking of course strictly as a supporter of the paranormal as a valid construct

Okay, here's the Badge ;)

Skeptical Propaganda Group

user posted image

No Ghosts

No Pyro

No Dragons

No Smiling :D

Levitation 101: Human Levitation

By Bruce Smith, 2003

This is a re-print of a draft for publication of 'Levitation 101: The BioPhysics of Human Levitation' by by Bruce Smith, an independent writer living in the Olympia area of Washington State.

http://www.americanantigravity.com/levitation101.shtml

Fluffybunny is completely right. There are challanges from universities and researchers to "psychics," or whatever you want to call it, to merely allow themselves to be fully documented as they do such amazing acts and they are almost always turned down... I wonder why. I have said it before and I'll say it again, if someone really knows how to do such things as levitation they should go to their nearest university and allow themselves to be documented. The researchers would set-up an entire thing just for them.

:angry2: Ask Uri Geller. He will tell you that the scientists are frauds. They don't publish their results. D. D. Home demonstrated levitation before the crowned heads of Europe in the Victorian Era, and the famous scientists as well. Do you think such people would allow ropes and pulleys to be installed? Do you suppose it is easy to fool scientists? No you are totally wrong. If someone is a psychic, they should hide the fact, and go nowhere near a university. Such places are like churches; they are devoted to textbook truth and are incapable of learning anything different.

~~~~Cebrakon

Levitation 101: Human Levitation

By Bruce Smith, 2003

This is a re-print of a draft for publication of 'Levitation 101: The BioPhysics of Human Levitation' by by Bruce Smith, an independent writer living in the Olympia area of Washington State.

http://www.americanantigravity.com/levitation101.shtml

:ph34r: The hundreds of different species of humanoids who visit us in what we call UFOs can not only levitate huge triangular or cigar shaped UFOs, they can also teleport them instantaneously over hundreds of light years. See UFOs, PSI and Spiritual Evolution by Christopher Humphrey, Ph.D. for evidence of this.

~~~Cebrakon

:angry2: Ask Uri Geller. He will tell you that the scientists are frauds.

Roflmao, scientists are frauds. I'm entirely sure.

Come on, Uri Geller might be a fraud.. but scientists?

They don't publish their results. D. D. Home demonstrated levitation before the crowned heads of Europe in the Victorian Era, and the famous scientists as well. Do you think such people would allow ropes and pulleys to be installed? Do you suppose it is easy to fool scientists? No you are totally wrong.

I see. That must have changed the world on a very large scale. Such undeniable proof, would make everybody believe in kinetic ability. Sadly, it didn't. I wonder why.

If someone is a psychic, they should hide the fact, and go nowhere near a university.

And of course, tell all of their internet buddies about it.

Such places are like churches; they are devoted to textbook truth and are incapable of learning anything different.

And get accused of witchcraft.

Roflmao, scientists are frauds. I'm entirely sure.

Come on, Uri Geller might be a fraud.. but scientists?

I actually met Uri Geller once he preformed his spoon bending techniques at a University I was attending. He does perform in Universities at least he did when I was a student and as far as I know not only in the United States.

They don't publish their results. D. D. Home demonstrated levitation before the crowned heads of Europe in the Victorian Era, and the famous scientists as well.

Results are published and by individuals who have the correct credentials to publish them in scientific periodicals. But other scientist claim there results cannot be repeated. I do not have a problem with believing those who publish supportive articles in relation to psi are being ignored by the other who refuses to acknowledge it. The truth is some of the most relevant physicist in the world is clearly looking at consciousness in a manner that is pro psi.

I see. That must have changed the world on a very large scale. Such undeniable proof, would make everybody believe in kinetic ability. Sadly, it didn't. I wonder why.

Common RE think about it the effect upon the "economy" of gambling world wide and I am including the stock market to name a few. Thousands of years ago those who had the power to do whatever they wanted decided and here we are today.

If someone is a psychic, they should hide the fact, and go nowhere near a university. Such places are like churches; they are devoted to textbook truth and are incapable of learning anything different.

That's not altogether true but it can be dangerous. It does depend upon the University. In relation to the Church sponsored mystics do in fact exist, most of them were called Saints after they died.

The hundreds of different species of humanoids who visit us in what we call UFOs can not only levitate huge triangular or cigar shaped UFOs, they can also teleport them instantaneously over hundreds of light years. See UFOs, PSI and Spiritual Evolution by Christopher Humphrey, Ph.D. for evidence of this.

Actually there are all kinds of theories (involving calculus and trig) which show that traveling through space at speeds beyond that of light is at least possible via a mechanistic technology.....

Warp bubble

Micro-Warp Drive

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/research...p/ideachev.html

The main problem with the speed of light is that it is really, really slow. Lets face it, if a snail could live long enough to circumnavigate the earth (given that it could); at the speed it travels naturally. It would be vastly faster than the speed at which light travels through the Universe and is capable of reaching places at opposite ends. Personally I have often considered the potential of what would happen if one would build a sphere (made of some exotic material) which could spin at near the speed of light, in other word exceeding the electron spin of its structure. In a dialogue with a friend of mind who's formal background was appropriate a conclusion was made. The vehicle would be "corrected" and the resultant effect would be that it would travel to a location. Where in relation to red shift compared to our location (in relation to astronomy) was apparent (about 1/2 billion light years from here) the “correction” would be complete.

In relation to applying psi with respect to space travel your probably taking about a culture whose industrial revolution occurred several billion years ago (To be clear they would not need ships).

And get accused of witchcraft.

RE you know scientist were also subject to such accusations in relation to history and while burning at the stake in a public environment in no longer done. That does not mean that going against the status quo is still dangerous.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Triad

The human body is not designed nor it needs to produce phenomena like levitation. Everyone that thinks different needs a CT scan.