Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Rise and Fall of Christianity

The Nameless One

gullable or uneducated? while it is possible that these may be the case for some, it is the overall stunted state of humanity that allows things such as christianity to survive. That stunted nature perists through all of humanity, it just reveals itself in different ways in different groups or individuals.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hyperactive

• zandore

• mako

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im glad to see everyone is enjoying this post.

Ok good essay. I would like to write a little about some attacks I've read on christianity.

Yes, christianity as an organization has done terrible things, but I really think humanity as a whole has done worst things. People should not blame only a religion for all the atrocities we've commited as a species, that is also ignorance.

As far as I know, Stalin wanted to build a secular society as well, and he was brutal. I really doubt that a secular society would be a better one than a religious society. We as humans have passions, and this passions quickly transform themselves into tragedies.

And what tells me that a pure "scientific" society is going to be a lot better? When examples like the Manhattan Project come to my mind? Great, we created the atomic bomb, damn, 200 000+ were killed in a week because of that. Now what, we have the science and technology to blow all the world in a day. What do we need for this to happen? Just one person with the enough power and stupidity to do it (does anybody find a close comparison with a guy we see every day on TV?)

My conclusion: Let's leave religion alone and try to live with it. My prognosis for a world without religion? Not so good :no: , because a society always would need a hierarchy to live by, and human hierarchies means chaos and disaster.

Maybe, just maybe, a religious society is the way society should live by. Who can assure me we can't be worst as society as we are now? ;)

Edited by QueryAnalyzer

Need I remind you people that Christianity has helped more people than any other religion? That is no opinion, that is fact. And to whoever said that Christianity has never gotten out of the Dark Ages, you must remember that it was the Catholics that started it.

Why is it that you say that?

because they were doing just fine before christianity was brought to their "doorstep" with the old "join us or die" mentality (which was displayed through various methods including the sword and infected blankets)

If you believe that, then go ahead and ask the millions of families who don't have enough this holiday season if they appreciate the Christians going out and buying them food and toys. There's an organization here in Michigan called Newsboys. I know non-Christians in my work who were talking about going to Newsboys after work to get shoes and clothes for their kids. Yeah, they really don't like our help.

when christianity contributed to making the problem and then does its little bit to help fix it you are all happy. Selective memory, selective perception. :yes:

Christianity will not be destroyed UNTIL science can prove God does not exist. Many of the ancient mythologies are destroyed due to the destruction and the conquering of their people, and the current decree of religious law set by senate at the time. There are no more genocides in todays world, so there is no way a christian would lose their faith, unless Science somehow does show that it is impossible for God to exist. Im not even sure how Science would eventually get to that point. I could see one thing being extraterrestrial life coming to earth, this would cause a large confusion on all religions. Of course, unless something like this happens, I highly doubt christianity will ever die out.

all man-made things die out, and christianity is no exception. it is happening now. christianity is declining, its younger brother on the rise. eventually islam will also decline and die. what will "replace" the monotheistics? that is mere speculation.

Great post....as for Christianity's replacement, probably something like Deism, which provides the belief in a Deity and is totally science-friendly! :yes:

Nope... Jesus Christ has promised that His Church will never pass away, and that God has already planned for the end of this age, when His Son Jesus returns to earth to set up His Kingdom... So in a sense Christianity will be replaced, by the Messiah who it is founded/built upon, and at His return, all nations and Peoples will acknowledge Jesus Christ is the LORD, to the glory of God His Father..

Nope... Jesus Christ has promised that His Church will never pass away, and that God has already planned for the end of this age, when His Son Jesus returns to earth to set up His Kingdom... So in a sense Christianity will be replaced, by the Messiah who it is founded/built upon, and at His return, all nations and Peoples will acknowledge Jesus Christ is the LORD, to the glory of God His Father..

yeah, but jesus also promised to never leave 'us'... oops I think he broke that promise. but religions are declining, many people now do not beleive in a god,

to be honest, every different section of christianity has a different god. some a merciful god, some a jealous god, some a vengeful god ect... seems kinda wierd to me. but what i dont get, is that if we are all gods children, why is jesus so important.

all man-made things die out, and christianity is no exception. it is happening now. christianity is declining, its younger brother on the rise. eventually islam will also decline and die. what will "replace" the monotheistics? that is mere speculation.

Christianity is growing 2.3% Anually according to THIS source.

christianity is in its downcycle in "developed worlds" and we will see a shorter cycle of acceptance and decline in developing worlds due to the increased momentum of globalization (technology and knowledge/education is spreading faster). As knowledge grows, christianity dies.

edit:

here is the entire text from which you got the 2.3% growth for everybody else:

U.S. Center for World Mission estimated in 1997 that the percentage of humans who regard themselves as Christians rose from 33.7% in 1970 to 33.9% in 1996. 2 Its total number of adherents is growing at about 2.3% annually. This is approximately equal to the growth rate of the world's population. Islam is growing faster: about 2.9% and is thus increasing its market share. 

and from the same site:

Religion Date Founded Sacred Texts Membership 5 % of World

Christianity 30 CE The Bible 2,039 million 32% (dropping)

Edited by hyperactive

Most postmodern theorists (Foucault, Baudrillard, and Chomsky, to name a few) believe capitalist globalization will eventually lead to a homogenous monoculture completely devoid of religion.

***EDIT: Sorry, Hyper, I was typing as you were posting and basically restated your post.

Edited by mklsgl

christianity is in its downcycle in "developed worlds" and we will see a shorter cycle of acceptance and decline in developing worlds due to the increased momentum of globalization (technology and knowledge/education is spreading faster). As knowledge grows, christianity dies.

edit:

here is the entire text from which you got the 2.3% growth for everybody else:

U.S. Center for World Mission estimated in 1997 that the percentage of humans who regard themselves as Christians rose from 33.7% in 1970 to 33.9% in 1996. 2 Its total number of adherents is growing at about 2.3% annually. This is approximately equal to the growth rate of the world's population. Islam is growing faster: about 2.9% and is thus increasing its market share. 

and from the same site:

Religion Date Founded Sacred Texts Membership 5 % of World

Christianity 30 CE The Bible 2,039 million 32% (dropping)

Of course. In short, due to the massive amounts of population birth, the majority of people are athiest, compared to the total that are christian, but nonetheless, the christian population is still rising. I suppose it all depends on the way you look at it. In reflection to the entire world, the christian numbers are dropping, but the number of followers are increasing.

Nope... Jesus Christ has promised that His Church will never pass away

He also said that he would return while members of his generation still lived...Shows how much he lies, so how do you know that that promise isn't just another lie? - CM

Mako, if Christianity is the only path to knowing the One True God, how can it fail?

I wonder if the ancient Greeks thought the same thing regarding their religion?

Need I remind you people that Christianity has helped more people than any other religion? That is no opinion, that is fact. And to whoever said that Christianity has never gotten out of the Dark Ages, you must remember that it was the Catholics that started it.

Help how?

I posted this link in this thread before:LINK

Tell me in what way you think Christianity has helped people.

BTW: Catholic IS A CHRISTIAN religion! :tu:

He also said that he would return while members of his generation still lived...Shows how much he lies, so how do you know that that promise isn't just another lie? - CM

Nope... jesus said that this generation will not pass away until all is fulfilled... Two ways that it is true... One is that his death and resurrection HAS brought in the Kingdom age to Earth, at least the spritual aspects of its reality, as those who called upon His name would continue to be saved throughout History... Also, generation can mean /refer to this race shall not pass away , so the continuing existence of the jewish peoples, and now Isreak reborn, would point to validity of His promise too...

Nope... jesus said that this generation will not pass away until all is fulfilled... Two ways that it is true...

How long is a generation exactly? Biblical interpretation sets the standard for that starting with the book of Genesis---a generation is established with successive offspring. Therefore the generation attributed to the words of Jesus has long passed. In truth, the Gospels exhibit a redaction in regard to the generation Jesus spoke to because the world did not end as was hoped, and so to whitewash the spread of this wayward interpretation of Jewish scripture, it became necessary for some to have Jesus declare there would be one other prophet, and for whomever wrote Revelation to invoke the end times. Nothing has been fulfilled, and nothing ever will be. In other words, there was no better way to mask the lie but to attach an addendum extending the lie.

One is that his death and resurrection HAS brought in the Kingdom age to Earth, at least the spritual aspects of its reality, as those who called upon His name would continue to be saved throughout History...
This and any other interpretation can only be true if in fact all of the world's populace is in agreement, and there is proof of any saving. Since this has failed and there is none, such grace will forever be expected by those who long for its fulfillment, at least until religiousity morphs into something else yet again.

Zandore, Catholicism is not a Christian religion. Sure, they acknowledge the existence of the Christ, but they choose to worship His mother instead of Him. They also have many religious rituals and practices that Jesus told us not to do, namely, the repeated prayers to Mary.