Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Dead Sea' found at tsunami's epicentre

UM-Bot

news icon rA "dead zone" devoid of life has been discovered at the epicentre of last year's tsunami four kilometres beneath the surface of the Indian Ocean. Scientists taking part in a worldwide marine survey made an 11-hour dive at the site five months after the disaster.

They were shocked to find no sign of life around the epicentre, which opened up a 1000-metre chasm on the ocean floor. Instead, there was nothing but eerie emptiness.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: smh.com.au

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rane

• GreyWeather

• Welsh Shaun

• Celumnaz

Sounds very eerie. I wonder how many years it will take for the habitat to return to normal.

I'd guess a few years :hmm:

for the worms and such to go back there, and the plankton.

I'd think a few years too. How long after Mt. St. Helens erupted did we start seeing any significant return of wildlife? Wasn't it a little over a year? I could be wrong on that though...

:alien: possibly there is an underwater extraterrestrial base there now?...maybe something sophisticated is happening that we thikn is just a natural disaster....maybe its part of the possible "black hole" in the center of the Earth (a theory i have studied but not understood completely)

i can see how this could have biblical reference as well as Nostradomus, but i don't want to start any debates tonight

lol, a black hole in the earth would makes us implode, not explode. besides, we'd be having earquakes and then SWOOOSSSHHH - where'd the earth go.

possibly there is an underwater extraterrestrial base there now?...

Right.....right.....I see...what am I on about, no I dont. :lol:

:alien: possibly there is an underwater extraterrestrial base there now?...maybe something sophisticated is happening that we thikn is just a natural disaster....maybe its part of the possible "black hole" in the center of the Earth (a theory i have studied but not understood completely)

i can see how this could have biblical reference as well as Nostradomus, but i don't want to start any debates tonight

Come one. Why can't it be a natuaral explanation? Why does the word alien have to get thrown in?

Perhaps the earthquake released some chemicals toxic to undersea life??

I can see this taking a while. If there is no food, nothing will go there. plain and simple. Here is what I am wondering, how much light reaches the ocean floor there, if any? If there is no light, then it will probably thake longer than expected

Come one. Why can't it be a natuaral explanation? Why does the word alien have to get thrown in?

:alien: because it was MY personal opinion about what the situation could be...i've studied about underwater extraterrestrial bases, and thats why i thought that...

ever think its good to have more than 1 opinion?....i think it is, and its exactly the way the human mind should function when trying to solve these kinds of anomalies

besides, what if it isn't natural or extraterrestrial, and its something majorly different (though i cannot think of anything else)

Perhaps the earthquake released some chemicals toxic to undersea life??

:alien: oh thats a very good explaination!...maybe we will start seeing different life emerging there now...much like some underwater creatures can live near extremelly hot ocean gysers (sp?) or whatever they are called