Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Alchemy

Yelekiah

I think this may be related to the auspices. Birds were seen and considered a prediction for an auspicious occasion.

Birds specifically sparrows were also seen as carrying spiritual energy. Flocks of sparrows move in a certain harmony not seen it crowds of people or other mammals. I watch the movement of sparrows in my fields and it is "syncronized" as if they are one entity. Making unusual patterns. It might be that the Thracian, Estruscan and Roman auspices watched this same effect.

Lapi'che

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yelekiah

• Turtle

• Shekinah

god/goddess aspects of ourselves.

Interesting post.

Apollo was the Sun God. He brought life-giving heat and light to earth. He represents the spirit and solar consciousness. His symbol represents the "egg of creation". Another Sun god is the Egyptian god, Ra (Re). Ironically, he was born from an egg. Just like Eros was later on. The sun in alchemy is the metal gold. Helios, the Greek sun god, travelled in a golden chariot. Surya, the Indian god, guarded the months and the years. Huitzilopochtli was the god for the Aztecs. Before all that was the Sumerian sun god, Shamash, who decreed the fate of the dead.

Recognising the divine within ourselves is possibly the most difficult hurdles to encounter. But I think it has to do with the 4 elements, represented by fire, water, air, earth and ether (5). I think that each parts of our personalities are represented by these elements, and accepting these within ourselves helps us to recognise the god/goddess aspects of ourselves.

There is a buddist sect who live in the pine forests and mountains of Japan who teach this. They are called Shugendo and Yamabushi priests. They add a fifth element known as "void"

Lapi'che

Diana or Selene - the moon goddess and goddess of the hunt. Ancient worship focused on the nature goddesses Isis - Ishtar - Inanna and called Her Queen of Heaven. By Roman times she is called Diana; yet at Ephesus in Anatolia Her worship was most profound under the names Mother of Animals, Many-Breasted Artemis. Columnar, wearing a unique ritual garment adorned with animals, her crown and staring gaze incorporate Astarte, while Her moon disc and horned beasts evoke Diana. Her temple built by Amazons (undoubtedly matrilineal priestesses), was one of the wonders of the ancient world, a goal of devout pilgrimage. In AD 380 her shrine was rededicated to Mary, whose old age and death Church legend placed at Ephesus.

user posted image

They add a fifth element known as "void"

I've heard of the Egyptian Zep Tepi (which means First Time). Might be related to alchemical "primordial matter". But the gods would weave in and out of the void. The Zep Tepi was related to the procession of equinoxes.

It's also related to the Creation myth of Ra, that I stated earlier (The First Time -Zep Tepi ) sums up a lot about how the Egyptian gods were created. In this myth, it tells of a time when there was nothing but a powerful being called Nun. Nun was so powerful that a shining egg arose from her, which was Ra. Ra was thought to have been so mighty that he willed his children into being. The first was Shu, who was considered the god of the space and light between the sky and the earth. Next Ra created Tefnut, who was the personification of the moisture of the sky. Then the god of the earth, Geb was created. Next Nut was created. Nut was the goddess of the daytime sky, but was later the goddess of the sky in general. The final god to be made was Hapi, the ancient Egyptian god of the Nile.

Isis - Ishtar

Isis means "emotion". In the Sumerian Epic of Gilgamesh, I think Ishtar sends down the Bull of Heaven for Gilgamesh. Zeus, in one myth, disguises himself as a white bull to seduce Europa.

user posted image

Edited by Yelekiah

[attachmentid=21757]

"The Immaculate Conception"

Francisco de Zurbaran, 1630's

The Virgin stands on a crescent moon,

symbolizing Christianity over Paganism.

The crescent moon also symbolizes fertility.

In many ancient religions and myths, the moon was associated with women and the triple goddess. Since a woman's cycle was often synchronized with the moon it was seen as a symbol of fertility and a very powerful force. The moon symbolizes the phases of a woman's life.

The triple goddess is a maiden during the waxing moon, mother during the full moon and crone during the waning moon. The maiden is innocent and young, the mother fertile and loving, yet a fierce protector of her young and the crone is age and wisdom yet also the gateway to death.

Since the moon rose on the third day after it left, this was a powerful idea among ancient people and it became used in the resurrection of Christ, who also died and rose again on the third day. In this way the early church was able to make the new religion less alien and people used much of the same symbolism.

Hermetically, the moon represents feminine, lunar qualities, visions, and is also related to Mercury.

The polarity of the moon is associated in Enochian magick (severe angels). Including all things related to dreams, fantasies, illusion.

The Moon Card in the Tarot signifies the sign of Pisces.

user posted image

Notice the two pillars. In Kabbalah, there are two major pillars (really three). A Pillar of Mercy (sun), and a Pillar of Severity (lunar). The third is a Pillar of Equilibrium. This is evident on the Tree of Life. However, over time, the pillars have been reduced to two, including in Freemasonry. They were pillars of knowledge to survive possible desctruction. One was made of marble to protect the knowledge from fire, the other of stone to protect it from water.

The hieros gamos, or divine marriage, is the combining of the solar and lunar principals to form the divine androgyne - the highest form of spiritual attainment. Also represented by Mercury and the Star of David.

[attachmentid=21758]

This glyph derives from an ancient Greek drawing representing the winged sandal of the messenger God Mercury. It represents the planet Mercury in Astrology, mercury as alchemical quicksilver, and as the magical element mercurius. Mercury is analogous to the human spirit, and one of the three alchemical principals, with sulfur and salt. It is related to the caduceus.

[attachmentid=21759]

The caduceus is the legendary herald's wand of the Greek God Hermes (Roman, Mercury). This symbol, a winged staff entwined by twin serpents, is nearly universal, found in Egypt, Mesopotamia, and India, where it is always a symbol of harmony and balance.

It has been mistakenly utilized as a symbol of the medical industry in the place of the wand of Asclepius (Asculapius).

In the Hermetic Tradition, the cadeceus is a symbol of spiritual awakening, and has been likened to the Kundalini serpents of Hindu mysticism.

The caduceus is the legendary herald's wand of the Greek God Hermes (Roman, Mercury). This symbol, a winged staff entwined by twin serpents, is nearly universal, found in Egypt, Mesopotamia, and India, where it is always a symbol of harmony and balance.

The Stone (Philosopher's Stone) is also at the top of the staff, a representation of it at least. It is the golden ball with wings, also seen in Baphometic imagery. The symbol is related to transformation, and is asscociated with the zodiac sign Aries, the ram's head (which isn't too unlike the Baphometic pictures). Aries is also known as the Emporer Card in the Tarot.

The Ouroboros is a greek word, and means "tail swallower." The ouroboros is usually depicted in the form of a snake swallowing its tail, and is usually circular, although it is sometimes depicted in a lemniscate shape. The ouroboros originated in Egypt as a symbol of the sun, and represented the travels of the sun disk. In Gnosticism, it was related to the solar God Abraxas, and signified eternity and the soul of the world.

In alchemy, it represents the spirit of Mercury (the substance that permeates all matter), and symbolizes continuous renewal (a snake is often a symbol of resurrection, as it appears to be continually reborn as it sheds its skin.), the cycle of life and death, and harmony of opposites. A double ouroboros (two creatures swallowing one another) in alchemy signifies volatility.

The Ouroboros appears in many other cultures and settings as well...the Serpent Jormungandr of Norse legend, who encircled the world, and guarded Yggdrasil, the Tree of Life, is often depicted as an ouroboros. The Aztec serpent God Queztacoatl was depicted similarly, and Chinese alchemical dragons have both similar shapes and meaning.

[attachmentid=21760]

This grusome symbol is an old alchemical drawing representing the "fixing of the volatile," or, making the elixir of mercury, a legendary curative, by removing the 'volatile' or poisonous element. The picture is derived from the biblical story of Moses, who erected a brazen snake as a charm against plague.

[attachmentid=21762]

Here are two more related symbols:

[attachmentid=21763] [attachmentid=21765]

And I think that the crucified Ouroboros would be fixation of the volatile.

user posted image

Notice the process in this animation. From snake, to dragon, to phoenix, to angel, etc. user posted image

Azoth is the beginning and the end. The Alpha and Omega if you will. It is the aleph and tau for Kabbalists. Also known as the "universal spirit" of God in all things. People believed that Mercury held this omnipotence.

user posted image

The loop of the Ankh is held by the Gods. It is associated with Isis and Osiris in the Early Dynastic Period. The Loop of the Anhk also represent the feminine discipline or the (Womb), while the elongated section represent the masculine discipline or the (Phallus). These two sacred units then come together and form life.

It is usually held to the nose of the deceased king by the Gods to represent the breath of life given in the after-world. The Ankh also resembles a key and is considered the key to eternal life after death. Its influence was felt in every dynastic period and survives as an icon possessing mystical power throughout the Coptic Christian era.

It is also a symbol for the power to give and sustain life, the Ankh is typically associated with material things such as water(which was believed by Egyptians to regenerate life), air, sun, as well as with the Gods, who are frequently pictured carrying an Ankh.

The Ankh Cross represents life (immortality) and death, male and female, balance. It can also represent zest, joy of life, and energy. It's closely related to the looped cross that can mean fertility and life. It is a looped Tau, or T-shape.

The ten Sephiroth, as I've stated earlier, emerged out of nothing. They are also analagous to the ten fingers and the ten toes (despite the hidden one Daath, that stands for knowledge). The Sephiroth in Kabbalah are infinite, just like Azoth, because it is both Alpha and Omega. However, I noticed that they are infinite in ten different ways.

Kether (Crown, Omega) is the infinite beginning. Chokmah is the infinite end. Binah (sounds like beneficial to me) is the good infinite, while Chesed is the evil. Geburah is the height, Tiphireth is depth, and so on. Now the appearance of the Sephiroth out of nothing is a flash of lightning. And it is has no beginning and no end. And all of the divine names of God are within this bolt of lightning.

Edited by Yelekiah

Astronomers have traditionally used this symbol for the planet Mercury, and it is the medieval alchemical sign for the element mercury (Hg) as well. It consists of the biological sign for female (the sign used for the planet Venus), but topped with “horns” or a crescent. Mercury was the swift messenger god of classical Roman civilization, and the horns represent the winged hat he is usually shown wearing.

[attachmentid=21766] user posted image

Edited by Rainbow Rowan

The "crow's head" (often the raven's head in the Saturn myth) is the crown of the Work in alchemy. The Raven is also Mercury, the trickster.

edit: with the triangles I think the one pointing down is water, and the opposite is fire.

Edited by Yelekiah

In the dreamtime Aboriginal stories, the Rainbow Serpent was the creator goddess. [attachmentid=21772]

And also in many other cultures there was serpents, dragons and feathered serpents.

Pearls are associated with wisdom (pearls of wisdom) and many dragons are featured with pearls in their claws in oriental legends.

As a Goddess symbol, the snake is the same as the spiral when it is coiled. Each turn of the coil marks a day in the lunar calendar. Zigzag lines represent snakes and water. Serpents were associated with the Dark Moon because they were considered related to the Underworld. Some Dark Moon Goddesses were depicted with snakes as hair. There are historical pictures showing Cybele offering a cup to a snake. In the mythology of Mexico are tales of the woman serpent (Moon) who is devoured by the Sun, a description of an eclipse or the phases of the Moon.

Frequencly a tree, called a Moon tree, was an emblem of the Moon.

An-Zu, Goddess of chaos, is depicted as a sickle moon with seven-pointed star and sacred tree; her emblems also include a fish and a lozenge/vulva shape.

user posted image

In Pagan times, this lozenge-shape was associated with the Goddess Venus, and represented female genitalia. Early depictions of Christ depict him as an infant within the vesica (usually called a mandorla, meaning 'almond shaped.'), which represented the womb of Mary (and often, the coming together of heaven and earth in the body of jesus- part man, part god). As such, it is also a doorway or portal between worlds, and symbolizes the intersection between the heaven and the material plane. The shape of arches in gothic architecture is based on the vesica.

An-Zu, Goddess of chaos, is depicted as a sickle moon

I'm guessing she was called goddess of chaos because she was associated with night. This isn't too unlike the Egyptian god, Set (some people spell it Seth) who was god of Chaos. A lot of people believe that he may have inspired Satan or Cain. Satan because he was an adeversary to Osiris. I gave a bit of the story earlier. But Cain because after he killed his brother, his punishment was to wander the desert. I believe he was depicted with the head of an aardvark, or at least it resembles that. Set actually replaced Horus at one point as the deity of the pharaohs. In the Egyptian Book of the Dead Seth was referred to as the "lord of the northern sky", responsible for chaotic weather. Also he had something to do with the underworld, but I forget. The Greeks later equated Seth to their demon-god Typhon.

This is all going over my head. It is a huge amount of info. This would make a very interesting course to take in school. Well, I can dream can't I?

What fascinates me is that how all the religious myths and occult information seems to be related and linked.