Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ring around moon

QuantumE

I was just outside catching a smoke, It's the day after the Full moon so the moon is still shining bright. I look up and there's like a perfect ring of cloud going around the moon. It's really big I can trace it with my arm in a pefect circle and it goes around the moon. It's pretty weird looking. Im guessing its the light's reflection hitting off the fog but it's a perfect circle of it going around it. I took some pics on a disposable flash camera they prob wont turn out good tho. Anyone else happen to live near philly? If so check it out.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hazzard

• QuantumE

• BurnSide

• SureFire

I was just outside catching a smoke, It's the day after the Full moon so the moon is still shining bright. I look up and there's like a perfect ring of cloud going around the moon.

You are talking about a common optical phenomenon called halo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo#Optical_phenomenon

Edited by hazzard

Nice photos in the link hazzard :tu: Ive never seen this phenomenon before quite spectacular, especially the one with the two dog stars. The chances of seeing this myself are probably very remote :hmm:

You are talking about a common optical phenomenon called halo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo#Optical_phenomenon

wow, thanks for the link! I consider myself lucky to see such a thing. :)

Edited by QuantumE

Im In Sweden so this time of year this happens all the time.

Edited by hazzard

Nice photos in the link hazzard :tu: Ive never seen this phenomenon before quite spectacular, especially the one with the two dog stars. The chances of seeing this myself are probably very remote :hmm:

:tu:

Edited by hazzard

Hi there, QuantumE!

We saw the same thing here in northern California. Until today it's been cold & clear, waking with frost each AM. The full moon has been just gorgeous with it's crystal ring. :wub:

40nrockinon :devil:

Hi there, QuantumE!

We saw the same thing here in northern California. Until today it's been cold & clear, waking with frost each AM. The full moon has been just gorgeous with it's crystal ring. :wub:

40nrockinon :devil:

hey! When I first saw it I thought I was going crazy, i didnt realize it was such a common thing! Im an amatuer astronomy so Im always outside checking out the moon on occasion. Im hoping the pics I took turn out good.

:blink:

Every night there's a moon there is a ring around it. Sailors used to use this to determine what the weather would be like the next day, the bigger the ring the less chance of rain. I honestly see it every night.

Every night there's a moon there is a ring around it. Sailors used to use this to determine what the weather would be like the next day, the bigger the ring the less chance of rain. I honestly see it every night.

Maybe it depends on location...? :hmm: That was the first time Ive ever seen it before.

Perhaps. Although i've seen it just as clearly in Britain and Canada. I think the weather does affect it mostly.

it is ice crystals in the atmposphere that is deflecting the moons light causing a circle to form around the moon. In folklore there represents the coming of bad weather. I live in Canada and recently happened to see it about a month ago...1 day later huge snowstorm....so very interesting :)

Never seen it before but it would be Great if i could see it at least once

I see this all the time, I am from Pittsburgh, PA and when I was growing up, I was amazed with it. Now that I have traveled the world and over a dozen countries I see that it is everywhere. Still very nice to see, much like the northern lights, there in the south too. B)

Isn't the other term "Red at night, Sailors delight" and "Red in the morning, Sailors take warning?"

In reference to the sky that is...

Here in the South ... we were always told that when you saw a ring around the moon.. to expect snow with-in a few days.. but I am sure that is a "old wives tale"

Here in the South ... we were always told that when you saw a ring around the moon.. to expect snow with-in a few days.. but I am sure that is a "old wives tale"

The "old wives" might not be so far of as we think. :lol: There are many types of optical halos, but they are mostly caused by ice crystals in cold cirrus clouds located high (5-10 km, or 3-6 miles) in the upper troposphere.

I remember the "Old Wives Tales" as saying that if you saw the ring around the sun in the day it meant rain was coming, to see it around the moon at night meant that no rain was coming. I don't recall what it meant if there was a ring around the moon in the day.