Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teen kills father to hide bad grades

DR. YO

Teen accused of murdering father to hide bad grades

SANTA CLARA – A 15-year-old boy allegedly killed his father then set the house on fire because he was afraid his father would find out he was failing some classes, prosecutors said.

The teen, Ryan Watts, was charged as an adult Friday in the murder of his father, 50-year-old John E. Bruner, who was initially believed to have died in the fire that engulfed the home he shared with his son earlier this week.

The Santa Clara High School sophomore was arrested Wednesday after an autopsy determined that Bruner, whose body was badly burned in the blaze, died from multiple gunshot wounds and not from the fire, Santa Clara police said.

According to court documents, Watts told police took a handgun from his father's bedroom safe and stashed it in his own room shortly before the killing.

"On Monday morning, he walked out of his house with the loaded .45-caliber handgun and a knife. Instead of going to school, he hid in his backyard and snuck back into his house," Sgt. Wahid Kazem wrote in an affidavit filed with the court.

After shooting his father in the head at close range, Watts lit the body on fire because it was too heavy to carry to the backyard, where he had planned to bury it, according to court documents. Watts stashed the gun and walked to Taco Bell, where he ate a couple of tacos, before returning home and calling 911 to report the fire, court documents said.

Source

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is why you should never push your kids to far. :yes::yes:

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• Yelekiah

• Piney

• DR. YO

I kinda feel bad for the kid, it sounds like he was terrified of his father. Still no reason to muder him though.

wao some people in this world really need help like this SOB killed his father because of bad grades!!!

I kinda feel bad for the kid, it sounds like he was terrified of his father. Still no reason to muder him though.

you kidding me? sounds like the kid was a little uh.. well.. CRAZY?

I agree with you all, totaly unjustified.

But he still should not be tried as an adult, he is not old enough to go to prison because he is not an adult, therefore he is not old enough to be tried as an adult.

you kidding me? sounds like the kid was a little uh.. well.. CRAZY?

I just mean maybe his father scared him enough for killing him to be better than letting him know he was failing a few classes.

I do think he's absolutely nuts, though.

There could be another facet to this; The father may have been extremely abusive and the kid was frightened for his own life.

Just adding possibilities.

I agree with you all, totaly unjustified.

But he still should not be tried as an adult, he is not old enough to go to prison because he is not an adult, therefore he is not old enough to be tried as an adult.

He murdered his father...set him ablaze and said "Hey, I'm hungry...taco's sound good!".... true evil is the inability to care for others...lack of empathy....15 or 18 this kid isn't going to change and should be locked away.

There could be another facet to this; The father may have been extremely abusive and the kid was frightened for his own life.

Exactly what I was saying.

My dad was hung up on school grades, he had to get hold of every school report card that came out, and he used to sit over us till we did our homework. We where afraid of getting bad grades and fear our dad finding out, we used to hide our report cards that had a C grade or below! :blink: When he saw them eventually, he used to go nuts but it soon blew over, but not once did we plan to kill him WTF..???!!Ihope the S.O B kid gets life for what he has done :angry2: and his dad haunt the life out of him while laying in a cold jail cell

You know, in prison, he wouldn't have to worry about grades.

Abusive parents or not, this is wrong. How do you kill somebody and then go out for tacos?

Tacos? Guy kills his dad. Then goes for tacos? I'm sorry but I'll have to take a moment on this one.

You know, in prison, he wouldn't have to worry about grades.

Abusive parents or not, this is wrong. How do you kill somebody and then go out for tacos?

Thats nothing compared to the teenager reproted on Sky News that butchered both his parents then stole their credit cards, then took his GF to the USA for a holiday :blink:

He *might* have been "abused", but I don't think so. Kids today think going to bed without the TV on is abuse.

Kid wasn't living in the real world. Hung up on himself. Premeditated Murder. This wasn't some stupid accident. Like the proverbial story of the guy that killed a woman's sister so he'd be able to see her at the funeral.

Kids know where to go to get help. There's all kinds of abuse, suicide, rape, etc... hotlines and they're always distributed in school literature and flyers and bullitens posted everywhere. Kids have more rights than parents. Just an Accusation brings all kinds of child protective services type "officials" even if unfounded.

Life of manual labor with possibility of being freed IIF a shrink says he's safe, but shrink should bear responsibility/severe penalty if he's wrong, maybe. Bullet is safer, cheaper, and more effective at ensuring the safety and well-being of everyone that comes into contact with him.

Dad was probably just going to ground him from playing video games, or hanging out with his thug wannabe druggie "friends" or something.

One word... Disfunctional! It was premeditated, he did it then ate some frikkin tacos. When I was upset or scared about my parents I just debated on running away. Not taking them out!!!!!

Wow... That is messed up.

Kills his dad... then goes to eat tacos?!

yeah, i wonder if he got gas?

sorry, but you have to see the funny side in all this. he burnt his house down, and then went for tacos, WENT FOR TACOS. That's something I'd do....not that i have.....

:rolleyes::blink:

I wonder if there is more to this story, such as abuse. Especially if the kid gave that kind of reaction. :o

I bet he was beaten by his drunk father

Well, in normal households, even the most high strung kids don't kill their parents when they start failing English. Something was going on there that we don't know about.

And you know, kid's not that crazy. What really would have been crazy is if he'd gone to Sonic after killing his dad. ;)

My dad was hung up on school grades, he had to get hold of every school report card that came out, and he used to sit over us till we did our homework. We where afraid of getting bad grades and fear our dad finding out, we used to hide our report cards that had a C grade or below! :blink: When he saw them eventually, he used to go nuts but it soon blew over, but not once did we plan to kill him WTF..???!!Ihope the S.O B kid gets life for what he has done :angry2: and his dad haunt the life out of him while laying in a cold jail cell

But was you dad abusive?