Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

RAF Ghost Photograph

Loonboy

user posted image

This is the picture of a group of RAF soldiers in 1917. The picture was taken. When it was developed, they noticed the presence of an extra face on the film. It was of Freddy Jackson, who had been killed three days prior to the photograph being taken. He had accidentally stumbled into a propeller.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Loonboy

• Tommy

• PurpleStuart

• GIZZIE

I've put yes, it is a real photo of a ghost.

But it could be a double exposure of the mans head, the shadows are right, but that would not explain the fact that one is wearing a hat and the other is not.  

I voted yes as well.   :sd

I’m not quite sure how you can stumble into a propeller though.  ???

Tommy

I believe that he stumbled into a propeller while the plane was on the runway idling. Not a nice thought.

Also, why does the ghost's face have shadows at all?

eek7.gif

I believe it is a real ghost. One of the few I've seen photographs of.

I voted yes  as well.

It certainly is spooky looking.   :s09

I just cannot  believe it is a picture of a ghost.  There must be some other explanation.

It is spooky looking though.

:s09 :s09

Just a theory....

Someone felt left out (who looks familiar to this dead dude) and wanted to get in on the pic or accidentally got in on it???

This picture rides on one fact that the image captured was of a man three days dead.  The simplest explanation is that the timing was wrong and it was before his death.

If not then this is probably one of the most convincing ghost photos i've seen.

I would agree with you PS but for a few details:

--Everyone else in the photo is standing clearly in view in regimented rows - the other figure is behind and out of place

--All the other officers are wearing hats - ie. complete uniform for their photo but the other figure has no hat

--If the figure wanted to be on the photo, why not stand plainly in view like everyone else?

--As for the timing, I cannot say that the dates were accurate, but I can say that nobody ever raised such an objection at the time or since

:s09

Before I vote yes,which I would like to do.  Is there any possibility of seeing the photo without the closeup ring which prevents (me) from seeing the whole picture?

If he fell into the prop, maybe he was leaning over too far (as in he was cleaning it?).  Horrid death, poor man.

I don't have a pic without the closeup. But if you google search for 'Freddy Jackson' or Raf ghost photos, you could probably find one.

The guy walked into the propeller as it was turning and got diced. Is that any clearer? I was trying to be a little bit tactful.... good grief!!      lol

eek7.gif

Yeah he was probably starting the engine and lost his balance.  Yeah, your right LB about the hat and why he didn't stand in view - photos in those days had very long exposures and so everyone would of had to pose for a few seconds as opposed to todays snaps which are taken in an instant an therefore sometimes catch people off guard.

Loon Boy

Don't you Good Grief me you Loon Boy You!!  :D

I cannot believe that anyone just walk into a propeller - How many feet are they off the ground  ??? We're not talking gliders here.  We're probably talking Spits etc.

Purple Stuart possibly has the answer, but Freddy should have let go!!    why didn't anyone tell him??

Sorry LB, but you did tell us that he got mashed by a propeller  by walking into it- I couldn't resist questioning it - you did say that we only find the truth by questioning, didn't you?  ;D

I sort of think it's real and the very best photo of a ghost I've ever seen, apart from the real thing of course.

GOOD GRIEF you just want all the grisly details....it's supposed to be a thread on ghosts not on bodily dismemberment... lol

eek7.gif

[blue]

why does the ghost's face have shadows at all?

[/blue]

Why wouldn't it have a shadow? Surely the only way we percieve entities to be 3D is for them to have some form of shadow, or differences in shade around it.  Or am I talking jiberish?  ???

Tommy  :s09

Gizzie, as it was 1917 most planes of that era had propellers no further than 10ft from the ground - most 4-6ft at a approximate guess. A spinning propeller is hard to see and even just 'clipping' it by accident on the wrong side would draw you into it due to it's motion. The other possibility is he had just started the engine - to do so you'd have to spin the propeller with enough force to turn the engine over. You'd probably have to throw your whole weight into it to do so and all it would take is to be slightly off balance...

Is that gory enough?  ;D

You MEN!! You never cease to amaze me!! :s01

So, I'm gory because I failed to understand how Freddy walked into a propeller and you are all curious ( in the interests of science/logic/info gathering etc.) trying to figure out how the plane crashed into the Pentagon.  Wasn't it one of you who said all he wanted to do was see the plane (crashing into the Pentagon?).

Purple Stuart, thanks for the info.  the date being 1917 (I should read the info properly) of course the planes wouldn't have been Spits. I don't know what they would have been however - Red Baron stuff?

I'll just put it down to an unexplained tragic accident and reply, yes it was the ghost of Freddy and leave it at that

Good girl GIZZIE :), and not wanting to be left out, I voted yes for it being a real ghost as well.  :s09

Hmmm

The good girl Gizzie isn't accompanied by patting on the head is it?  As in  Don't worry your pretty little head. Leave it to the boys etc?

Cos if it does............. :s8

I think Freddy must have been deaf and blind so Ya Boo Sucks to all of You (wish there was an appropriate Smiley!)  Don't forget I'm a gremlin!

[blue]I don't think Freddy must have been deaf and blind. Airfields are pretty busy places especially during wartime. Accidents happen.

As for the shadows part, I guess I am still trying to figure out why if a ghost is not solid, how it could cast a shadow? Or is it a glimpse of something in another dimension, and if so, does the sun shine there too? This stuff hurts your head...

:s01

I just noticed something on that closeup: the right hand jaw side of Freddy's face looks like a straight line, and slightly odd... which makes me wonder if the tamperers have been out or whether it's just an anomaly...

Also, the closeup looks like Matt Le Blanc peering over the shoulder of Jimmy Steward...

how odd

[/blue]

May I just take you up on something Loon Boy and I'm not "playing" anymore.

Why do you assume a ghost not to be solid?

Ghosts have many many forms.  

Gizzie

Ps I know that accidents happen, and I'm sorry if my sense of humour didn't make you laugh :-/

Actually Loony, just because ghosts might or might not be solid, doesn’t mean that they won’t cast a shadow.  Clouds cast shadows; liquids cast shadows.  :sh

Gizzie, solid ghosts are certainly an interesting idea.  :sk

Tommy

Thanks for the information Tommy, your scientific knowledge concerning shadows knows no boundaries ;D

No problem Homer.  ;D

I wouldn’t call myself an expert in the field though.  :s04  :sj