Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U.S. senator apologizes for claiming 9/11

Thanato

U.S. senator apologizes for claiming 9/11 attackers came from Canada

A Montana senator says he "misspoke" when he erroneously claimed that the people who carried out the Sept. 11 attacks entered the United States from Canada.

Sen. Conrad Burns sent a letter on Tuesday to Canada's ambassador to the United States, apologizing for his comments at a news conference a day earlier.

"I misspoke on this matter," Burns, a Republican, writes in the letter to Ambassador Frank McKenna.

"And I ignored my notes indicating my sincere belief that securing the border is vitally important to not only the United States but Canada as well."

But he insisted his mistake shouldn't deflect focus from his main concern, saying security problems "clearly exist on the border."

Burns cites the case of Gazi Ibrahim Abu Mezer, who had planned to bomb a New York subway and was arrested in 1997 on his third illegal entry into the United States from Canada.

He also noted that Ahmed Ressam, who plotted to bomb the Los Angeles International Airport during the Millennium celebrations, was arrested at the B.C.-Washington border on his way south in 1999.

"These incidents are disturbing and should not be ignored," Burns wrote.

"We still have much work ahead of us. ... The threat of terrorists crossing from the United States to Canada is just as real and those who wish to do harm should not be able to cross a porous border to carry out an attack in either country."

McKenna demanded a retraction from Burns on Monday, after he told reporters at a news conference on border security: "We've got to remember that the people who first hit us in 9/11 entered this country through Canada."

McKenna said he felt he had to speak up because the remarks were "patently false" and could seriously mislead Americans over the events that preceded the 2001 attacks.

Even though investigators have determined that not one of the attackers entered the United States from Canada or Mexico, the mistaken belief has persisted among some Americans.

McKenna has tried aggressively to challenge the myth, which raises hackles in Ottawa.

In the spring, another prominent Republican – former House speaker Newt Gingrich – apologized to Canada after telling a television network that "far more of the 9/11 terrorists came across from Canada than from Mexico."

The U.S. House of Representatives passed a border security bill on Dec. 16, which includes an initiative to study building a security wall along the Canada-U.S. border.

Canadian officials said the issue had never been raised by U.S. officials during regular joint meetings on border security.

They said Canada had no interest in a wall.

Source

~Thanato

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thanato

• gollo

• Lord Umbarger

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's nice to know that he has the full facts of this affair. :no: after all it's not that important is it?

and just last week we had

Stop slamming U.S., Washington warns Martin

The U.S. ambassador to Canada has rebuked Prime Minister Paul Martin, saying he risks damaging relations between the countries by dragging the United States into the federal election campaign.

Wilkins didn't name Martin directly but left no doubt that he was talking about the prime minister when he warned against scoring cheap political points against Washington.

"It may be smart election-year politics to thump your chest and criticize your friend and your No. 1 trading partner constantly," Ambassador David Wilkins said in a speech to the Canadian Club in Ottawa on Tuesday.

"But it is a slippery slope, and all of us should hope that it doesn't have a long-term impact on the relationship."

What is this "misspoke" argument anyway? why can't he just say he was wrong? oh sorry, i forgot, he's a polititian.

;)

Of course there was one terrorist that did come to the U.S. THROUGH Canada. I don't remember his name but, he was the one who planned to set off a bomb at the Los Angeles airport, LAX. I think that was in 2000.