Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

This'n That #11 - CAIB Report Completed

Saru

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nancy

• thesupernatural

• Saru

• SpaceyKC

Thank you, Nancy, for a very moving and informative article. I especially liked the picture you chose to remember the crew of the Columbia.

KC, thank you. Let me tell you, I debated for hours the direction this article should take.

The more I read excerpts from CAIB's report, the more I realized I had to cut it shorter than I wanted. Anger and "grrrrr" took over. Also, details in the report would have used all of SaRuMaN's ink supply.

Thanks Lady, for reading. wink2.gif

Thanks Nancy, I enjoyed reading that. original.gif

I like the way also you choose to remember the crew of the Columbia.

Benjo...... I appreciate it! I didn't mention in the edtitorial, my excitement of watching Columbia launch from my front yard. Depending on Mother Nature's mood and her decision about the number of clouds on launch day, I've seen each and every Shuttle since 1999. Night launches will give you ... goosebumps.

Since January? The sky in my north, has been very........ lonely.

Another well written editorial Nancy! You have quite a talent! I found this article and thought you may be interested in reading it:

NASA accepts damning shuttle report

Depending on Mother Nature's mood and her decision about the number of clouds on launch day, I've seen each and every Shuttle since 1999. Night launches will give you ... goosebumps.

How amazing it must be to witness shuttle take-offs all of the time, and how sobering it must be to have not seen one for awhile.

You keep writing them, and I'll keep reading them. original.gif

starlyte.... notworthy.gif

Thank you so much, once again wink2.gif

There are quite a few comments in my local Florida Paper today, I may post here later today. I thank you for the LINK wub.gif

BTW... Seeing the Shuttle's Launch from where I am is breathtaking! I am approximately 200 miles South of The Cape. As a result, I see the Launch, but there is NOT a sound. All that power zooming in front of me. All I hear are the Native birds and an occassional "gator." Amazing!!!!!

Nice piece Nancy! I read that at the time of the disaster the guy in charge of online information was considering taking the site offline due to inacurate information on policies and safety.Slightly suspicious.Any thoughts on this?

I read that at the time of the disaster the guy in charge of online information was considering taking the site offline due to inacurate information on policies and safety.Slightly suspicious.Any thoughts on this?

Brendan,

Thank you for peeking at that editorial.

To answer your question, I can only speak for what I heard, minute by minute.

I had NASA TV on my computer, taking notes early on that Saturday morning that Columbia was coming home. I was getting ready to update my web page.

In fact? I had prewritten an intro, welcoming STS-107 back to Florida... listening carefully to Mission Control, Houston, as I always do with Shuttle Flights.

I knew there was some fog in the general vicinity of Cape Canaveral and Mission Control was consulting with their Weather Guru to ascertain optional runway use, in the event Mother Nature was grumpy that morning.

I remember the deorbit burn, completed successfully. I remember the hard banking manuevers being taken to slow down Columbia in preperation for landing.

I remember Mission Control speaking with the Crew, no indication of any problems.

I heard the last words spoken between Commander Husband and Mission Control.

I also heard Mission Control remain calm and could almost hear them turning pages in the "What do we do now?" Manual, yet online, there was no panic in anyone's voices...... cool and calm. "Com Check, Com Check" over and over from Mission Control. That began around 9:00 AM, EDT. The "voice" coming through my speakers from Mission Control did not hestiate...... kept "us" filled in on what was going on, at various consoles around him.

He then advised that a "Contingency" status was put into effect..... In essence, Mission Control and Cape Canaveral were in "lock down." That same "voice" continued to explain what Contingency Status meant and also mentioned that ALL paperwork in that room had been sealed.

Yes, there was some silence online, with background noise, but online it was NOT as if connection had been terminated, not at all.

When it was announced that a Search Mission had been ordered for the State of Texas, and it was obvious that no Shuttle had landed in Florida, we all knew.....

In other words Brendan? It is my uneducated opinion that nothing was HELD BACK, on that second by second verbal accounting, online.

Granted, there were periods of "dead air" when NASA was silent. I feel that is a normal human reaction to a very serious disaster that played out over Texas February 1, 2003. I never got the impression of anything suspicious, NOT once.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I wanted to due your question, justice. I hope I did.

N.

http://www.floridatoday.com/journal/020103landing.htm

I read that at the time of the disaster the guy in charge of online information was considering taking the site offline due to inacurate information on policies and safety.Slightly suspicious.Any thoughts on this?

Ah HA!!!!!

Brendan? Perhaps I misunderstood your question. I considered 'online' as information being relayed BY NASA during reentry on February 1st.

Were you referrring to this, instead?

http://space.com/missionlaunches/nasa_safe...ety_030829.html

If so? I apologize for my "War and Peace" efforts....... geeze I hate being Blonde!

Should we try again? sad.gif

Lol, yes I was.Seems kinda strange to consider such a move if you are not genuinely worried about what the press and other media's may take from it.

Brendan, So sorry for the confusion.

I'm a bit torn on this subject. Yes, it is important for the truth to be ascertained, especially when lives have been lost. However, with the Internet so "open" I can see where certain documents should be kept private.

No matter what, NASA knew the scrutiny would be painful, as it SHOULD be.

Getting one's "ducks in a row" is vital to any investigation. Having misinformation or incorrect information online is not good.

You run a web page, I run two of them. We both know it is diffucult to keep up with all that is involved. As a result, outdated or "dead" links can happen in the blink of an eye and neither of us would know, immediately.

Also? Here in the US? We have investigations that check on the investigations that are being considered to investigate... wacko.gif It all comes out in the wash one way or the other. Bottom Line: I do not feel NASA was in error to consider the email suggesting "safety information" be pulled from their site, until all the facts have been researched.

• 2 weeks later...