Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

East Bergholt, Essex, UK

Althalus

The local Friary used to have the reputation of being haunted. At night there is a distinctly eerie atmosphere in this area which includes the church just across the road, where the bells are hung in a bell-cage behind the church - after, it is said, numerous unsuccessful attempts to hang the bells in the church belfry during which at least one man was killed.

During the Second World War soldiers were stationed at the Friary and at that time one particular door which led into the sergeant's mess would unlatch itself every night at ten minutes to eleven and open to a distance of about 8 inches; a distinct drop in air temperature would precede this apparent phenomenon and soldiers playing cards in the room would purposely stop at this time to wait for the door to open; each night it would regularly 'oblige'. On five different (but not consecutive) nights, arrangements were made for men to be situated on either side of the door, armed with clubs, to see whether anyone was playing tricks, but invariably the temperature would drop and the door open and no explanation was ever found for the curious happening.

One night a young soldier of about 18 was lying on his bed alone in another room when he saw the door, which connected with the next room, open by itself. He claimed he saw a vague, indistinguishable shape enter the room; next he felt a pair of icy cold hands being placed on his face. Terrified, he screamed for help whereupon whatever it was in the room with him, immediately disappeared. Next morning his hair had turned from jet black to white. Thereafter all the soldiers refused to sleep in that room, and it was eventually sealed off.

On account of the reputation that it had acquired with officers and men no one used a certain door at the Friary at this period, a door which led into a passage and was the quickest and most direct way into the building. Without exception, they would all go a ong way round to the front entrance and then walk back through the building along narrow winding passages with recesses in the walls, marked with the names of those buried in them. The friary was formerly St Mary's Abbey, a Benedictine nunnery.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Althalus

• SpaceyKC

• Druss

• colorless

Top Posters In This Topic

'next morning his hair had turned from jet black to white.'

I can't imagine being frightened! ohmy.gif But I've never been in a situation

like that either ~ so far. wink2.gif

I don't doubt the story. But is it actually possible for someones hair to turn white over night?.

original.gif

Druss,

I had a friend in highschool who had a single streak of white hair growing just above one of his ears. He claimed it was brought on by a nasty car accident .

I don't know wether it was true or not but I have no reason not to believe him, he wasn't the fanciful type.

Next morning his hair had turned from jet black to white.

That line is quite horrid really .. huh.gif

Next morning his hair had turned from jet black to white.

Now that's being really frightened. Poor guy. ph34r.gif

Thereafter all the soldiers refused to sleep in that room, and it was eventually sealed off.

I don't think I'd sleep there anymore either.

A persons hair does not actually turn white, according to some people, the hair that is any other colour to white just falls out, revelaing the white hair that is left, but if that was the case, why do people not actually see the white hair when washing it or combing it?

As far as the white hair goes: I'm a dark Or "dirty" blonde. A few years ago I went through a nasty divorce and was under alot of stress. I had a stripe of white hair pop up over my left ear that stayed that way for some time.

It was 6 or so months before it cahnged back to its coloring. Dunno the why's or hows but it does happen.