Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Omaha Beach?

Cazee

Anyone been there ???? if so is it hauntet?????? ill maybe go there wenn the summer holydays start!...If me and my friend decide to!.....

So anyone been there and can say if it's Haunted?????

Anyone been there ???? if so is it hauntet?????? ill maybe go there wenn the summer holydays start!...If me and my friend decide to!.....

So anyone been there and can say if it's Haunted?????

I live in Europe and i've been to omaha beach many times and i've noticed nothing special.

I live in Europe and i've been to omaha beach many times and i've noticed nothing special.

Okay...damn but i'll still go there :D :D

I never even heard about it, but I'll do a search been away from the forum for a few months I need some paranormal and hauntings in my life.

I never even heard about it, but I'll do a search been away from the forum for a few months I need some paranormal and hauntings in my life.

Omaha beach is where D-Day took place. One of the bloodiest operations of any War. Watch the starting of Saving Private Ryan, and you'll see a glimpse of it.

I have never dismissed "ghosts" and believed there are many unexplained mystyeries which science cannot explain, as my book about mankinds fascination with "dragons" would indicate.

However, I do not believe battlefields where thousands have died of violent deaths are particulalry haunted. I say this because of have spent literally hundreds of nights, metal detecting for artifacts on Napoleonic era and earlier battlefields throughout Europe, occasionally even unearthing human remains, and not once have I ever experienced anything supernatural, nor have any friends who also engage in this hobby. I believe the stories about ghosts at Gettysburg are largely due to Hoaxster reenactors dressed as Civil War Soldiers. Ghost sightings, on the contrary normally occur in populated/residential areas rather than in wilderness areas for which there may be an explanation.

Edited by draconic chronicler

• 7 years later...

To be honest. Yes! I think its haunted there. I went there 5 years ago and we wentcthere during night time. At midnight we stood right on omaha beach and when we went out of the car we all felt like someone was watching us. So we didnt talk about this untill a week later but we all said the same: There was something there. Non of us is afraid of the dark so that it was because of that is just no way. I hope some psychic would go check it out cause that would be awesome.

• Like 1

While I was stationed in England we visited Omaha Beach (and Juno, Sword, Utah, etc). There are several ruins left from the invasion. The area around the beaches is scenic and peaceful. While there I didn't notice anything paranormal (although being a battleground it seems as though it would be haunted). The atmosphere on the beaches is very solemn. What really stood out for me was the enormity of the battle and the many lives lost. The place has the 'feel' of a cemetary or church. We felt the need to talk quietly while we were visiting. It's a beautiful and amazing place. Definitely worth the visit.

Edited by auramyst
  • Like 1

Both German and America soliders ghosts are still there fighting d day over and over every day

• 4 months later...

I found it very much so that Omaha beach is haunted, i went there a few years back with my family, since we didnt know from before that omaha actually was a REALLY long stretched beach, we got there around midnight, we drove to the beach (the road goes right next to the sand) so we pulled over, and went out of the car, we walked around on the beach there and believe you me, the feeling i got from standing on that beach, was abit frightning to be quite honest. It felt like the air was really thick, and you felt exhausted somehow, even tho you werent. You constantly had the feeling that someone was behind you watching you. And i noticed that on my mum and my younger brother aswell.

When we got in the car, and drove away, it got better, but you still had that feeling that you had to turn your head to look back cause "something" was watching you. Im going to Normandie again but this time on day-time, but i promise you, if you want a good look at what really happened there go at night, cause when the allies arrived there early on june 6th 1944, it was pitch black. And well just to experience the feeling we got ( that we all decided is something you wont get when you go there by day) was extraordinary). My recommendation is to go there both early on the day to see the museums etc, and then at night time just to see if you experience the same, cause we all talked about it a few weeks later and we all experienced the same feelings.

Really something i havnt experienced before in my entire life, somewhat strange, it was either that there is something paranormal going on there, or its just the feeling you get that you know that several houndreds / thousands died right where you stand.

Its not even something to consider anymore if you'r thinking about going there. The view is great, and the roadtrip that we took there from Calais, was just beutiful aswell. We drove right next to the coast, so we had the coast on the right and the beutiful countrysides on the left.

Totally worth it!

• 4 weeks later...

I dunno, Draconic. If there's any battlefield that's haunted, it's got to be Antietam. I went there and got the weirdest sensations (and I don't consider myself psychic or anything). Another thing I noticed was that there were no birds singing in the trees. It was definitely an odd experience

I found it very much so that Omaha beach is haunted, i went there a few years back with my family, since we didnt know from before that omaha actually was a REALLY long stretched beach, we got there around midnight, we drove to the beach (the road goes right next to the sand) so we pulled over, and went out of the car, we walked around on the beach there and believe you me, the feeling i got from standing on that beach, was abit frightning to be quite honest.

Understandable since you are tired, not use to being at the beach at night.

It felt like the air was really thick, and you felt exhausted

Again, You all drove all day and now you walking around tired. Air most likely thick for sea salt.

somehow, even tho you werent. You constantly had the feeling that someone was behind you watching you. And i noticed that on my mum and my younger brother aswell.

Again, You were exhausted and in a place that is not familar to you and it is dark. You were being paranoid. What you saw from your family was being tired also.

When we got in the car, and drove away, it got better,

You are back in a comfortable place that you are familiar with.

Your experience is more of the mind than any thing and it doesn't scream paranormal since you are going with your feelings. I been to places I felt was creepy but I found nothing paranormal about it.

I have been there and its not haunted, I went on a sunny day in February, though the road was empty, hardly anyone around apart from the odd car and odd walkers around.

I can tell you that its very quiet and we went to a local cafe and that was dead too.

I found it very much so that Omaha beach is haunted, i went there a few years back with my family, since we didnt know from before that omaha actually was a REALLY long stretched beach, we got there around midnight, we drove to the beach (the road goes right next to the sand) so we pulled over, and went out of the car, we walked around on the beach there and believe you me, the feeling i got from standing on that beach, was abit frightning to be quite honest. It felt like the air was really thick, and you felt exhausted somehow, even tho you werent. You constantly had the feeling that someone was behind you watching you. And i noticed that on my mum and my younger brother aswell.

When we got in the car, and drove away, it got better, but you still had that feeling that you had to turn your head to look back cause "something" was watching you. Im going to Normandie again but this time on day-time, but i promise you, if you want a good look at what really happened there go at night, cause when the allies arrived there early on june 6th 1944, it was pitch black. And well just to experience the feeling we got ( that we all decided is something you wont get when you go there by day) was extraordinary). My recommendation is to go there both early on the day to see the museums etc, and then at night time just to see if you experience the same, cause we all talked about it a few weeks later and we all experienced the same feelings.

Really something i havnt experienced before in my entire life, somewhat strange, it was either that there is something paranormal going on there, or its just the feeling you get that you know that several houndreds / thousands died right where you stand.

Its not even something to consider anymore if you'r thinking about going there. The view is great, and the roadtrip that we took there from Calais, was just beutiful aswell. We drove right next to the coast, so we had the coast on the right and the beutiful countrysides on the left.

Totally worth it!

Umm no much, its only a hills along the coast, so not much countryside

When I was on vacation in northern France, we visited Omaha and one of the other landing sites. I remember the remains of a Mulberry harbour and a WW2 tank (or anti-aircraft gun). Can't say I experienced anything weird about it.

We also visited the American cemetery near Omaha.

Great thing about the beaches of France where we were (Brittany and Normandy) was the amount of WW2 German bunkers dotted along the coast that we found and explored. There was still signs and text in German blackletter on them. Fascinating to explore.

If they were ever a place for battlefield ghosts,it would have to be the dday beaches in normady,france.

If they were ever a place for battlefield ghosts,it would have to be the dday beaches in normady,france.

As important and bloody an event it was, there are much more tragic and far deadlier examples from history.

About 20,000 soldiers (Allies and Germans) died during the landings and about 100,000 in the ensuing battle to secure Normandy for the Allies.

On the other hand, over one million soldiers died during the Battle of the Somme. More British soldiers died on the first day of the Somme than the entire Allied forces killed during D-Day.

Not to belittle the Normandy landings of course. It was an awesome military operation for a good cause and I loved visiting the site myself and visiting the local museums about it. But much worse battles have happened in history in more tragic situations.

Don't people say that tragic deaths more likely lead to ghosts haunting the area? Wouldn't a million men dying for meagre advances in an insane conflict that was for no good reason at all be far more likely to leave a heck of a lot more ghosts at the scene than thousands dying for a good cause?

Why should the Normandy landings stand out as being a prime candidate for haunting, more than any other military battles?

You have a lot of good points, there, Jesse. I have been pondering over why one field over another might be more or less haunted - if at all - as I read through this. The truth is, I think it depends a lot on the beholder and the attachment they have to a given location. Perhaps attachment - ancestors involved in an event -, or study or interest enhances attunement, and they are more able to connect with one place as a whole, over another. Maybe that is it. Dunno *goes back to eating another piece of leftover pizza*

the thing about ghosts and battlefields... is that there have been a lot of battlefields over the centuries. if ghosts are attached to traumatic events like battles, well, we could go beyond just the somme. if you factor in the just two world wars, shouldn't large sections of continental europe be overrun with ghosts? especially if you consider the bombing of so many cities.

we attach ghost stories to "significant" and landmark events. not every battle, or even every war is seen as a landmark to many people. normandy, however, is an event that is very significant to a large number of people, so it's more likely to have ghost stories told about it. that's my take, at least.

also, i just looked back. this thread is a ghost! it's haunting us from the distant land of 2005! sheesh.

You would not have said that if this was in Sri Lanka or wherever

we attach ghost stories to "significant" and landmark events. not every battle, or even every war is seen as a landmark to many people. normandy, however, is an event that is very significant to a large number of people, so it's more likely to have ghost stories told about it. that's my take, at least.

also, i just looked back. this thread is a ghost! it's haunting us from the distant land of 2005! sheesh.

Too funny :). But, it is interesting, nevertheless. I just had a day to see some of this area of the world, so I find comments about it interesting. I do live near Civil War fields, though, so probably should go to one of those at least and pay my respects.

• 3 years later...
On 11.8.2013 at 6:39 PM, Brian Topp said:

Understandable since you are tired, not use to being at the beach at night.

Again, You all drove all day and now you walking around tired. Air most likely thick for sea salt.

Again, You were exhausted and in a place that is not familar to you and it is dark. You were being paranoid. What you saw from your family was being tired also.

You are back in a comfortable place that you are familiar with.

Your experience is more of the mind than any thing and it doesn't scream paranormal since you are going with your feelings. I been to places I felt was creepy but I found nothing paranormal about it.

Clearly you dont know whqt you are talking about, im used to being up late, so the fact that i was tired when we got there is not true. My childhood home is also haunted, where both me and my brother have seen shadows and i actually saw a man as bright as day. The paranoia feeling of someone watching you is a classic feeling we all had experienced at our home aswell, but at Omaha it was really exploding. We did not have instruments to back up our story, i simply replied to if i think it is haunted and im pretty sure it is. The feeling of someone watching you disapeared when we got off the beach, and none of us went there to find out if it was haunted, we just went to see the beach. You can think what you want about my story, but i promise you that if you go there yourself at night you wont stand still for very long. You have to turn around constantly cause you feel as if someone is gonna attack you from behind. I dont care if you dont believe me, i know what i experienced and it was indeed scary :)

If Omaha Beach have ghost because of heavy fighting, places like Stalingrad (Volgograd) and Verdun should be packed with ghosts. 

If ghosts are caused by violent conflict then why are so many old houses (where there were no battles) considered to be haunted?