Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Favorite Mythical Creature

uhhuh

Nope, best to my knowledge, everything I have stated on the UM forums was either true, or the most logical explanation for things which are still "unexplained". And in our own discussions about the "dragons" of native american cultures, I believe everything I stated was vindicated by a PHD anthropologist, and you were wrong, claiming there was no legends of this type at all. And now you are bitter, and insist on making snide remarks that have no value to the current discussions.

For the record, the original "Orc" was a kind of sea monster/aquatic dragon in an old medieval legend. Tolkien, who studied these legends in detail, and the languages they were written in, undoubtedly read this story, evidently liked the word, and used it to describe the malformed, wicked, humanoid creatures of his own fairy tales.

But there can be no doubt that dragons are the number one "favorite" mythic animal throughout the world, still regarded with reverence throughout the oriental world, figure prominantly in Christianity, and connected with many "new age" beliefs. No other non-human creature has ever played such a significant role in the beliefs of mankind.

The actual origin of "orc" was as another title for Hades, the god of the Underworld.

Medieval orcs varied. In the medieval poem Orlando Furioso, there were land orcs and sea orcs. The sea orc that attacked the hero's ship was ' huge, scaly, tusked, pig-nosed, and bristled.' You could conceivably get a dragon from that, but it seems doubtful, since much of the ideas about medieval orcs came from Pliny, who wrote that the orc was an enormous, toothy whale. The land orc, by contrast, almost resembes Warcraft III orcs in a way; it is a "blind giant with a long nose and tusks jutting out like a savage swine". linky

My personal favorite creature would have to be the dragon, but I also really liked the "hecas" in Greek mythology - the fifty-headed, one-hundred armed monsters that helped the Gods battle and imprison the Titans.

Hey, Just a little poll whats your favorite mythical creature (i didnt make it into a poll bc there are so many mythical creatures) Mine is a wyvern :D

Without a doubt, Dragons!!!!!!!!

They seem to have appeared in some form in almost every mythology on the planet. It makes me think that maybe a few of them survived for quite some time after the fall of the dinosaurs.

B)

I would have to say sea serpents. Something about the water has always interested me. There is so much in the depths that we do not know about, and I suppose it makes it still possible that such monsters can still exist deep in the waters.

vampires and werewolves

• 12 years later...
23 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The Honest Politician is my favourite mythical creature.

You took the words right out of my mouth.  (seriously)  Sad, is it not.

• Like 5

For me:

2djtapk.jpg

• Like 6

The 3 Witches on the "Blasted" heath, Hubble Bubble Toil and trouble ,fires burn and cauldrons bubble . screech (Macbeth)

• Like 5

Can't go wrong with a griffin but my creature of choice is Oxfordshire very own merman

• Like 1

On 30/01/2018 at 5:23 PM, Matt221 said:

Can't go wrong with a griffin but my creature of choice is Oxfordshire very own merman

I ment orfords very own merman bluddy predictift text

Dragons are first ( any kind) and the Phoenix is a very, very close second.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2018 at 8:08 PM, Matt221 said:

I ment orfords very own merman bluddy predictift text

You did have me wondering because Oxfordshire is land-locked :P

• Like 1

Shrek. :tu:

• Like 3

Necrothreads that rise from the dead after 12 years as if they had never stopped?

Failing that, the haggis (assuming we are talking creature believed to be mythical ;) )

• Like 6

1 hour ago, keithisco said:

You did have me wondering because Oxfordshire is land-locked :P

Well, they're only half fish. 

• Like 5

I think my fav would be bigfoot. Simply because it is the only one that I might possibly run into here in Oregon.

• Like 5