Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Iceman-Murdered?

SpaceyKC

I'm sure this topic has a thread somewhere else on this board,  but I thought it went well here too.  They've discovered something new about the 5,300 year old corpse,  and I thought it would be interesting to read.  

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/iceman/iceman.html

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PurpleStuart

• SpaceyKC

• Homer

• Loonboy

KC,

I finally checked out the information. It's amazing that someone can stay so well preserved for so long, to the extent of even knowing what his last meal was and the season in which he died.

Makes you wonder what else is is perserved in ice, just waiting to be found

;D

or my vodka  :sg

[blue]Talking of ice and glaciers (we were almost)... did anyone else see the Horizon documentary on the missing plane in the Andes (BBC2 9:00pm Thurs 21st)?

It revealed that a plane which went missing over 50 years ago actually crashed into the top of a glacier, was covered by an avalance, was then subequently 'swallowed' by the ice and parts of it are now re-emerging at the end of the glacier - like a slow downward moving escalator....

But what is still not understood is the meaning and reason for it's last transmission: 'S.T.E.N.D.E.C.' or something.....

[/blue]

nope i missed it - what theories did they put forward for this message. Actually for starters, what nationality was the plane/crew/passengers? was it a voice or morse code?

[blue](Aplogies for going off the subject, Nora!)

I think the plane was a Lancastrian. The passengers numbered six and were international. The crew were British, I think. The message was sent in morse code.

The plane should have touched down in Santiago and the last message, the 'S.T.E.N.D.E.C.' word/code was received four minutes from it's supposed arrival. The theorists explained that they had climbed to a high altitude in order to go over the Andes but had encountered the (then unknown and undiscovered) jet stream, which slowed their progress. The clouds prevented visual location and when they descended for the touchdown, they were actually right over the mountains instead of near Santiago. They flew straight into the mountainside.

Only pieces of the craft have been discovered thus far, but the main body of the plane wreckage is expected to emerge from the glacier in the next few years...

The programme makers had no clues about the word/letters transmitted and it still remains a mystery.

[/blue]

Thanks.

BTW i like your new set of smilies!

Here's a link to the page on the documentary;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/vanished.shtml

It includes a verbatim transcript of the program, and goes into greater detail for those who may be interested. It seems there are quite a few 'theories' being floated about the exact meaning of the mysterious message. Nothing thats universally accepted, though.  :-/

Magikman

I would like to give credit to a fellow member of this board for helping spark my interest in the Iceman story.  Nancy has a website called 'Mystical Universe',  and that is where I first read about 'Oetzi,  The Iceman'.  I was able to watch the program Monday night,  and from the latest tests,  (x-rays and a study of the human anatomy),  they have concluded that the injury he sustained from the arrow,  is what caused his death.  But the motive behind the murder is still a mystery.