Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Hyperspace' engine: Our ticket to the stars?

UM-Bot

Image credit: NASA/ESA/ESO
Image credit: NASA/ESA/ESO
An extraordinary "hyperspace" engine that could make interstellar space travel a reality by flying into other dimensions is being investigated by the United States government.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: The Scotsman

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• QuantumE

• snbatman

• xstortionist

• SkepticDood

this is exciting stuff, just think if it does work, the government would pay more into NASA, NASA would improve its space travel - and hopfully the other things essential for space travel.

...but then, would the government actually let us know if it does work...

Wow, one hour to the moon...or less. Devistus, this is nice. Just need ta get me hat and coat. I'll met ye and de kids at the Martian Zoo. Two hours minium after I take a stop of at da moon, later honey.

Excuse me while I pack. I am surprised the US government is even looking at it with the anti-science climate we have now. Unless they have a reason, like this is how the aliens do it and they have some idea about it.

Here is the link to the New Scientist report.

It makes me wonder how knowledgable the reporters are on the subject when they say that the engine makes the craft fly into other dimensions...

It makes me wonder how knowledgable the reporters are on the subject when they say that the engine makes the craft fly into other dimensions...

Other dimensions is a bad way to describe it.... envoloping a craft in a magnetic field isn't another dimension.... it's kinda like ice...set it on a surface and because of the thin layer of water on the bottom it slips and slides rather easily (what they are trying to do)...but right now that ice is stuck to a frozen surface barely moving...we just have to learn how to heat the surface or the bottom of the ice a little and were there..

P.S. - I have no education in this subject...the analogy just popped into my head...

Edited by Black Ops

Reminds me of Star Wars when the Millennium Falcon would go into hyperspace mode and disappear, only to reappear back in our dimension a gazillion light years away.

They're saying that it might be possible but they haven't mentioned how. Do they know how to switch between dimensions. I don't think that we could do this at the moment. I'm not saying that we can't do it im only saying that it will be along time until we can do it. And even if we do manage it knowing the human race we'll just try and blow em up. :alien:

If indeed they are going to build some sort of a proto-type of a device which will test this theory, in it will work, then, ladies and gentlmen, we are on the verge of a new revolution, and I can see the future of Star Trek, atleast technologically, happening within a century.

Probably the Chinese will be developing a similar technology if it'll work, resulting in a new Space race towards Mars and behind, and ofcourse making the moon a trivial location for building bases.

If the schedule of 5 years is correct, we can expect that within 25 years after, that is, around 2030, we will few bases on the moon (probably American, Chinese, Japanese and European) and daily flights to Mars.

I can see the first drone sent to Alpha Centauri in the 2040s

They had to expand Einstein's theories and add into four new sub-dimensions. They do not know for sure how to make it move into other dimension yet, but from what I've seen of the science it seems sound. Once they build one and start testing it, those theories will come out pretty quickly.

I'm willing to bet the government is looking into this to stay ahead in the arms race. Something like this would propel the US military light years (no pun intended,) ahead of other countries. More importantly it would allow us to easily mine the asteroid belts for needed materials here on Earth, or grab a couple of water heavy comets and ultimately raise the quality of life for all humans.

Keep in mind that I'm willing to bet something like is already in production and being tested. If you believe that the US has recovered alien craft, or been in contact with aliens, then I'd even believe that this technology is old hat and that is why NASA's funding is getting cut... the public projects it's working on are just for show.

Other dimensions is a bad way to describe it.... envoloping a craft in a magnetic field isn't another dimension.... it's kinda like ice...set it on a surface and because of the thin layer of water on the bottom it slips and slides rather easily (what they are trying to do)...but right now that ice is stuck to a frozen surface barely moving...we just have to learn how to heat the surface or the bottom of the ice a little and were there..

P.S. - I have no education in this subject...the analogy just popped into my head...

C being the absolute speed limit, we would have to go to another dimension with a different set of physical laws to be able to travel to a star 11 lightyears away in just 80 days.

Magnetic field or no magnetic field, this is just a method to pop into another dimension.

Would be awesome, but I must admit this sounds extremely inprobable.

Improbable based on our current understanding of physics :tu:

However, Prof Hauser, a physicist at the Applied Sciences University in Salzgitter, Germany, and a former chief of aerodynamics at the European Space Agency, cautioned it was based on a highly controversial theory that would require a significant change in the current understanding of the laws of physics.

Would that be called Quantum Physics. I'm no expert but i just thought Quantum Physics is where anything is possible ???

I don't know what to say to this, this is just so exciting, so many possibilities!

I don't know what to say to this, this is just so exciting, so many possibilities!

:geek: I agree. The ability of Heim's theory to calculate the masses of elementary particles is especially remarkable. If I were a younger man, I would start studying Heim's mathematics.

~~~Cebrakon

Before you travel into another dimension, we have to prove they exist! Unfortunately dimensions as physical realms is only concept and theory.

That being the point of this experiment. =)

Well, I dunno about u, but it sounds like no1 took G forces into consideration lol... We would have to wait another 100 years before things could accelerate at those rates without feeling the effects of an increase of that kind of speed in that little amount of time, unless the magnetic field created an "Inertial damper" lol, got that from Stargate eh ;-)

Would be awesome, but I must admit this sounds extremely inprobable.

inprobable are you crazy? What is so inprobable of speeding up how fast light travels? That is what this magnetic field will do it. It isn't going to be like a nother dimension like everybody thinks. All the theory is stating is that once you can speed up light it can actually work as a type of propulsion. You would literally disapear and reapear because once you get on the other side of light there is nothing to luminate objects. It's not inprobable by any means...it's just inprobable to you because you can't grasp how this theory will work.

Well, I dunno about u, but it sounds like no1 took G forces into consideration lol... We would have to wait another 100 years before things could accelerate at those rates without feeling the effects of an increase of that kind of speed in that little amount of time, unless the magnetic field created an "Inertial damper" lol, got that from Stargate eh ;-)

exactly what they thought about breaking the sound barrier....the first experiment of breaking the sound barrier showed a vehicle blowing up and scientists thought if you went as fast as sound that you would disenigrate.

That being the point of this experiment. =)

Nope, the reporters dont know much about what they've written on, so their confusing everyone. They are working on an "engine" that states will enter another dimension. We have no proof of any "dimensions" existing it's only theory, they couldnt come to the conclusion that the engine would bring them to another dimension based on that. The reporter probably didn't quite understand what was being said.

exactly what they thought about breaking the sound barrier....the first experiment of breaking the sound barrier showed a vehicle blowing up and scientists thought if you went as fast as sound that you would disenigrate.

Thats because they didnt have the technlogy back then to protect from that speed, eventually they did. SkepticDood is saying that we dont have the technology today to withstand such forces so we have to wait until we eventually do.

Thats because they didnt have the technlogy back then to protect from that speed, eventually they did. SkepticDood is saying that we dont have the technology today to withstand such forces so we have to wait until we eventually do.

you must be misinformed....watch the documentary titled "breaking the sound barrier" and it will tell you everything about what I just said. They screwed up the first time and the 2nd time they used the same vehicle, but it was in 100% working condition.

Ok, first of all, NOBODY really knows if Heim's theory is correct or if there are any dimensions past the four "standard" ones. String theory also predicts dimensions up to 11, I believe. One form of string theory states that we live in a four dimensional bubble within a universe of 11 other dimensions. Who knows what the physical laws are in these other dimensions.

This experiment is trying to disturb or warp the space-time continuum in the immediate area around a ship by creating an intense electromagnetic field. Theoretically, this would warp space time, creating a kind of downward slope between the ship and its destination, causing the ship to "fall" toward where it wants to go. Theoretically, the "warp" field would be changeable in order to direct where the downward slope is "pointing".

This is all very hypothetical. How would the crew be shielded from the intense electromagnetic radation probably given off by the amount of energy we're talking about here? Also, as another poster pointed out, how would the inertia created by such acceleration be dealt with? Assuming we can deal with these issues and create a field strong enough to punch through to a different dimension, how do we know the ship could survive in this new dimension? If the speed of light is different, what other physical laws, the very laws that keep the atoms that make up our bodies together, are different? There are WAY to may questions and dangers that must be solved before this technology can be used to transport humans to other solar systems.

This isn't to say that I'm an expert in this science, far from it. I'm more of a layperson that has had some higher science education, can understand the very basic principles of such theoretical physics, but has no idea about the specifics. It would take much more educated, and theoretical minds to answer these questions.

I am very optimistic though. Human ingenuity can solve most any problem if we put our minds to it.