Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

the phantom Norman Piano

Eva Evermore

I have recently aquired an antique norman piano that is in quite good condition that I have decided to clean up and sell. I have found that it is worth quite a bit of money and so I thought I would be smart about it and get it refinished and get the serial numbers and find out and exact year on it and sell it professionally to get the most money for it. Well, when I tried to look up the Norman piano company online, there was nothing, for the first time the internet has failed me. I have had two other people other than myself online for the past two weeks trying to find out anything on thing piano, but to no avail. I am starting to think that I am going crazy, I have grown up knowing about Norman piano's, I thought it was a well known brand, I can see it, but I am starting to think it doesn't exist! Has anybody else ever heard of the Norman piano company?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eva Evermore

• Doggirl3

• Bahamut_0

• rose_ashes

Never heard of it, yes, you are crazy, so crazy that you cannot see that all the people around you died a long time ago...

does it say "norman" on it? if so, is it possible you misread it? and if not, how do you know it's a 'norman' piano?

I checked Wiki, google and yahoo searches... nothing. Is the area around the name damaged at all? How about the aging of the wood/metal on the name?

If you are going to refurnish, you should let a pro do it. Mainly because you could actually decrease the value by putting something on it. I saw a lot of these hints on Antique's Roadshow.

does it say "norman" on it? if so, is it possible you misread it? and if not, how do you know it's a 'norman' piano?

Yes, it does say Norman, it is in almost perfect condition. Infact, I will have pictures tomorrow to show you.

Maybe its a forge, or it was hand made and someone put their own brand on it. Like I do with the clothes I make.

I do have a friend who has heard of the company as well. I have contacted a company that specializes in this sort of thing and they said they do know of a Norman piano company (actually 3), but I still don't get why I can't find it.

The only thing I've been able to find out so far is that Norman player pianos used Starr mechanisms. The Piano Blue Book has Norman listed in their manufacturer lists, but no information about them. Is there any other information on the piano itself? A city or even a state of origin would help. :) (I like historical detective work! :yes:)

Here's a link to the site that has the information about the mechanism: http://www.player-care.com/makers.html

Try here in this google search. Maybe the history will tell you where to look.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Norman+Pianos

I hope it helps.

That was for Norman Snyder, it actually has nothing to do with my piano. There are quite a few people in the piano buisness named Norman, but that is not where the Norman piano came from, but thanks for looking.

I play piano...sorry, never heard of norman pianos...

ditto that, my friend. I have a Steinway Grand. :w00t: Glorious ivory sounds like heaven on earth.

I will I knew piano. B/c they people that play a instrument always seems to be having a whole lot of fun. Pam-Doggirl3

Okay, so I am not not crazy. I just found out that the piano is quite rare, the company that made it was only in business for 30 years in the early 1900's and that's why I had a hard time finding it. Thanks every body for trying to help.

Wow, I wasted 10 mins looking for this stuff, only to find that at the end of the thread, you figured it out? :P:blink:

Okay, so I am not not crazy. I just found out that the piano is quite rare, the company that made it was only in business for 30 years in the early 1900's and that's why I had a hard time finding it. Thanks every body for trying to help.

I too have a Norman Piano. It is a Baby Grand. Where did you find the info on the piano? Also, were you able to get a value for it? I am in Michigan, too.

Thanks,

Babs

http://www.vintagepianoshop.com/identify.cfm

This is an awsome site. I contacted them through email and sent them pictures of my piano and they were able to tell me quite a bit from the info I gave them, they really seem to know they're pianos. I plan on selling mine through they're site as well. They also were very fast to respond to my emails.

• 6 years later...

I realize this is a very old topic, just wanted you to know that I too have a Norman Piano and experience the same trouble when trying to learn a little more about it! I guess the mystery surrounding it just makes it more valuable!

Tina S.

MI

... I can see it, but I am starting to think it doesn't exist! Has anybody else ever heard of the Norman piano company?

Maybe it's a paranormal piano!

:)

• 9 months later...