Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UM image hotlinking protection

Saru

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

It is no longer possible for other sites to directly 'hotlink' to images hosted on this site. This occurs when someone directly links to an image rather than to the page on which it is located. This is both detrimental to bandwidth usage and allows other sites to link to pictures hosted here at our expense. Now if another site attempts to do this the image will be replaced with a default anti-hotlink graphic instead.

There are a few exceptions to the hotlinking protection, if you have a web site which links directly to images or files on this site and you'd like to continue to do so, please let me know.

I'd also like to remind everyone here to try and avoid hotlinking to images on other sites in their posts, and where possible to please upload the images either through our own file attachment feature or to your own web space. Thanks.

As a result of this change, and i'm sure much to the relief of regular gallery visitors, the right mouse button is no longer disabled on the image and media gallery sections.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Daughter of the Nine Moons

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Will this alleviate the server load issues that we have been experiencing?

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

No, it's very unlikely to make any difference to that.