Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are you a sceptic or believer?

PurpleStuart

;D

Just wanted to see where everyone's allegiences lie (well i can tell from those who post a lot but what about those who don't?)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lung

• PurpleStuart

• pappagooch

• Druss

Just to clarify the second option should read (but i ran out of letters)

"Sceptic: no desire especially to believe, i want proof"

and the thirs option is

"Sceptic: I want to believe, but no proof has presented itself to me yet"

It's depending on what your talking about.  Some things I do believe, and some I don't.  I wouldn't know which to click on?  8)

[blue] I voted 'A lot of weird stuff goes on' because a lot of it does. Either, there are a lot of odd things in our universe, or we're not intelligent/advanced enough to understand them.

image[/blue]

I found it difficult to answer only because some things I believe in, such as ghosts, lost civilizations, some government conspiracies(although I'm not a big conspiracy buff, I know some goes on). Then there are things I want to believe in and haven't entirely ruled out, such as Bigfoot, Giant Anacondas, Nessy, many different dimensions we know nothing about, space/time warps(such as worm holes). Then there's things I simply don't believe in, and won't without either proof or overwhelming evidense to support it, such as alien visitation, cryptozoology & mysterious creatures and the like.

However, in the end, I voted for " A lot of wird stuff goes on"

I'd like to believe, if only for a sense of belonging, but there are so many nutters and con-artists out there it makes it very difficult to actually commit oneself to anything other than family (and even they can't be trusted all the time!).

Yeah i meant the question to cover all paranormal subjects as a generality, so the answers would be a general overview.

i know what you mean homer - i had to deliberate hard before answering my own question, but the answer you posted in your post above is the sort of info i was interested in, thanks

In the end after much deliberation I voted 'sceptic: I want to beleive but no proof yet'.

I think until I've been there, done it and got the t-shirt I am going to be somewhat sceptical.

(thinks:- mazehouse been ,done,got t-shirt, above may be bad analogy).

;D ;D ;D

PS,

When I read the first choice: It's all fiction,  I thought of the saying,  TRUTH IS STRANGER THAN FICTION.  

I forgot where I was going with that so,  I voted for the 'weird stuff'  :s02                  

• 4 months later...

I believe that alot of things that we do not fully understand are happening .So I guess I'm not a skeptic.Wether or not aliens ,ghost's and such are the actuall cause of these things I still veiw with a little skeptisism. :su

p.s check out that funky lil fella.

• 2 weeks later...

i think it all depends on whether you are open minded.no doubt that a lot of fraud and hoaxes go on, but you can't dismiss any of it.until you can defo say its a hoax, you dont know.we can't comprehend or explain why these things happen..we can just speculate.i'm open minded, i think why not? but at the same time you can become gullible to something because you wanna know an answer and a hoaxer gives it to you.it's a case of sifting thru the crap, and beleiving your instincts, to find the true answers.

• 6 months later...

WEOW! im a little late -almost a year -late! ...... heheheh! i find unxplain things to be more reasonable than- be a critic to someone else's opinion. its not how many times u are right, or how many times u have been proven wrong. we are all humans - no matter how diffrent we see each other, we are in coded in the same level- our dna is always the same no matter how diffrent. ph34r.gif

This is just the first step... in time we take another...

• 5 months later...

I'm a skeptic. Of course, i'm only skeptical of anything that defies discovery. Sooner or later, sonething must be able to be found, or it must be assumed that it, at the very least, no longer exists. Elves and fairies never did materialise, so were simply replaced by witches and warlocks, which consequently never materialised either. Only time will tell whether there are UFO's, but our obsession with space and technology seems too much of a coincidence to be real i.e. UFO's are a figment of our (technologically-minded) imaginations. Furthermore, the tendency to only show themselves to select people has distrurbing parallels with elves, fairies, witches and the like, suggesting it's merely a reflection of the times.

As for yetis, yowies and bigfoot, i tend to think that it's simply a case of us failing to comprehend that these are memories of ancestors further in the past than we imagine. Is it possible that these legends go back tens of thousands of years to when there were indeed neanderthals? Could these legends have lasted so long as to actually reflect a pre-ancient reality?

In other words, if it's scientifically possible (even allowing for science we haven't uncovered yet), i can accept it as a possibility thumbsup.gif

both

Wow... that must be the most complete waste of post I have ever seen.... mellow.gif

Congratulations Siphis, this one's so mind boggling I'm actually gonna leave it in.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm skeptical of thing like aliens (but not UFOs) and government conspiracies, but there is just too much well documented weirdness around to believe that science knows it all. Well edjucated people just have to keep looking around until someone becomes the next Kepler or Copernicus

I am a very practical and conservative individual and I am skeptical about many unreasonable notions... that is until I have valid evidence/proof that changes my thought process.

I have witnessed numerous apparitions and paranormal activity that I cannot explain nor deny so therefore I do believe in ghosts. But I do not believe they are conscious entities. I feel they are just some sort of a natural phenomena consisting of energy residue remaining from some extreme occurrence. When someone mentions that a location is haunted, I am very skeptical until I have valid evidence proving otherwise...

I have also witnessed a ufo. It was hovering about 4 stories above us in upstate NY. It was huge and did not make a sound. To my knowledge the only type of aircraft that can hover for extended periods of time is a helicopter or a harrier jet with reverse thrusters... But both of those aircraft make sounds and are not circular in shape. I experienced this when I was 11 so needless to say I have believed in UFO's my whole life... There is no doubt in my mind that we are being visited by someone or something. It could be a secret government project, a time machine, or an alien spacecraft...

I am still very skeptical of people claiming they had some sort of a ufo sighting around military testing sites or military installations... I am also skeptical of most of the "weak" sightings people have... But there is no doubt in my mind that a few of the reportings throughout the ages (yes even thousands of years ago) are valid... There are too many hoaxers out there, especially the governments, which attempt to make the theory of UFO's seem like a farce just to control the population and keep them from "freaking out"...

Having a very scientific thought process I believe that one has to rule out all theories until one is left with the truth...

I have witnessed numerous apparitions and paranormal activity that I cannot explain nor deny so therefore I do believe in ghosts. But I do not believe they are conscious entities. I feel they are just some sort of a natural phenomena consisting of energy residue remaining from some extreme occurrence. When someone mentions that a location is haunted, I am very skeptical until I have valid evidence proving otherwise...

Having a very scientific thought process I believe that one has to rule out all theories until one is left with the truth...

And voila! An explanation for ghosts and other apparitions is revealed!

Feel a ghost? Perhaps it's infrasound

The article doesn't speculate why humans might have such a problem with it. Perhaps it is so our ancestors can sense the presence of predators? You know, like the extremely low growl that a tiger makes when it is anxious. Maybe that is our elusive sixth sense? ohmy.gif

I think pappagooch expresses my feelings quite well.

I'm sceptical of pretty much everything (re: the paranormal, religion) in that I cannot believe in something without actual proof. but I would love to be proved wrong.

I always have an open minded attitude until solid evidence is produced that provides a mundane explanation. Having said that, I am inclined to be dubious about certain unexplained phenomena. For example, I suspect that there isn't a Loch Ness Monster.......at least, not in plesiosaur form ! On the other hand, I believe that die hard sceptics who state that UFO's do not exist (in any shape or form) are just kidding themselves.

Remember: UFO = Unidentified Flying Object. That does not necessarily equate with "alien spacecraft", although I do not rule out the possibility that a few could well be just that.

Chris Low.

• 2 weeks later...

Now , my suspicion is that the universe is not only queere than we suppose, but queere than we can suppose.....I suspect that there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamed of, in any philosophy. That is the reson why I have no philosophy myself, and must be my excuse for dreaming.... sleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gif

notworthy.gifnotworthy.gif Beliver in many ways.. notworthy.gifnotworthy.gif