Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bush grenade attacker gets life

__Kratos__

(CNN) -- A Republic of Georgia court has sentenced a man to life in prison for attempting to assassinate U.S. President George W. Bush by lobbing a hand grenade towards a podium during a rally in the capital last year, according to Georgia's interior minister.

Vladimir Arutinian of Tbilisi was also found guilty of trying to assassinate Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili, who was standing on the podium with Bush on May 10.

He was also convicted of killing a police officer who tried to apprehend him two months after the incident.

The would-be assassin threw a grenade into a crowd about 20 meters (65 feet) from the stage where Bush had just begun speaking, but the grenade, wrapped in a plaid cloth, failed to detonate, authorities said.

Initial reports said the grenade was not live, but authorities later said it was.

Georgia's Interior Minister Vano Meradishvili told CNN he fully expected Arutinian to appeal the ruling because he "enjoys the attention" that he has received.

At one point during the trial, which began just over a month ago, Arutinian appeared in the courtroom with his mouth sewn shut.

Arutinian would not be eligible for parole, and could only be released under a presidential pardon, which was unlikely under Saakashvili, Meradishvili said.

In September, a U.S. federal grand jury indicted Arutinian for the assassination attempt against Bush, and could request his extradition if he is released in the future.

Meradishvili said the government could not have apprehended Arutinian, who lived a reclusive life, without the help of two citizens, who would share an $80,000 reward.

The investigation involved Georgia investigators, the Justice Department, FBI and U.S. Secret Service.

Shortly after Arutinian's capture, the Justice Department and Secret Service issued a joint statement praising the government of Georgia for its "extraordinary cooperation" in the case.

Source

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bad luck for him. Even if the grenade had gone off as planned, Bush was out of it's kill radius.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bigfoot_Is_Real

• Commander CMG

• __Kratos__

• artymoon

Poor guy he was just trying to save us from bushes stupid decisoions lol :lol:

well if the grenade did blow, it would have killed innocents within a 15 foot radius. and wouded anyone within a 30 foot radius. allthough what he threw was thankfully not a frag grenade.

Poor guy he was just trying to save us from bushes stupid decisoions lol :lol:

Reminds me of Hitler how he almost got killed in WW1. It was his destiny to destroy the world and i guess the same can be said about Bush too

he should have gotten better grenades and got closer lol, being that far away wouldnt have killed george but just make him p*** himself lol

well if the grenade did blow, it would have killed innocents within a 15 foot radius. and wouded anyone within a 30 foot radius. allthough what he threw was thankfully not a frag grenade.

I think it's 25 yards radius.

Reminds me of Hitler how he almost got killed in WW1. It was his destiny to destroy the world and i guess the same can be said about Bush too

Only this was a wack job of a civillian compared to Hitler's trusted Generals.

As far as I remember It was not thrown, as was previously believed, the device was placed in the crowd about 100 feet from where Bush was speaking. it was an inactive Soviet-era device.

The Interior Ministry for Georgia at the time described the device as a "non-combative" grenade used in military training and said it did not contain explosives.

It never posed a danger to Bush and was apparently placed by someone who wanted to scare people in the crowd and attract media attention.

As far as I remember It was not thrown, as was previously believed, the device was placed in the crowd about 100 feet from where Bush was speaking. it was an inactive Soviet-era device.

The Interior Ministry for Georgia at the time described the device as a "non-combative" grenade used in military training and said it did not contain explosives.

It never posed a danger to Bush and was apparently placed by someone who wanted to scare people in the crowd and attract media attention.

yeah, but its still was a stupid thing to do.

yeah that was ironic how the american felt pity for a german who would later kill most of the European population of Jewish people

Bad luck for him. Even if the grenade had gone off as planned, Bush was out of it's kill radius.

20 m? The kill radius on the grenades we use is 75m.

20 m? The kill radius on the grenades we use is 75m.

What grenades do you use...? 75m is a big radius. Don't get kill radius mixed up with Casualty radius.

75m is nearly 250ft radius.

Some idiot tries to off the leader of the free world and all we can do is give him life. Damn shame that we can't put hjim in a cell, seal up the door and feed him through a tube for the next fifty years.

Rather you like like Bush or not, you have to admit that killling him would be the wrong way to go. If you're just out to change the U.S. policy, killing Bush is the worst thing that you could do. He'd be replaced by Cheney, who is Reagan era Republican. Bush is Republican Lite, at best.

Besides, killing him would be a waste of time, the next round of elections will prove that most of America supports the conservative stance.

What grenades do you use...? 75m is a big radius. Don't get kill radius mixed up with Casualty radius

Sorry, I was confusing the hand grenades with 40mm rounds.

Edited by Stellar

Sorry, I was confusing the hand grenades with 40mm rounds.

:tu:

Some idiot tries to off the leader of the free world and all we can do is give him life. Damn shame that we can't put hjim in a cell, seal up the door and feed him through a tube for the next fifty years.

Rather you like like Bush or not, you have to admit that killling him would be the wrong way to go. If you're just out to change the U.S. policy, killing Bush is the worst thing that you could do. He'd be replaced by Cheney, who is Reagan era Republican. Bush is Republican Lite, at best.

Besides, killing him would be a waste of time, the next round of elections will prove that most of America supports the conservative stance.

No id say its the best way to stop WW3

No id say its the best way to stop WW3

Well if only it were that easy. The only problem with that, are that there is people controlling things from behind the scenes. So if you kill bush, you just get another puppet replacing him, (in this case the Crazy Cheney Puppet). If you wanted to make an impact, you would need to do a little research in who to go after. Make that alot of research.

you're an idiot :tu:

if that was a joke lol :lol:

if it wasn't ****er :angry2:

and no i wouldn't want a president cheny but his weak heart should do the job for us :yes:

Edited by Bigfoot_Is_Real